Squealing Front Struts Question

ksucats

Went to bring the coach home this past Tuesday (from having new Torklift Glowsteps put on) and the landing gear squeals like nothing I've heard before -- very high pitched and loud. Trying to get the coach high enough to unhook from the truck and it seemed like it was struggling to get that high. Had no problem when dropping the coach off nor when we picked it up - extended and retracted without a sound other than the normal hydraulic motor noise. I had retracted the front gear at the dealership to make it easier for them to move it - plus I really don't want all that strut hanging out there when they move the coach. In any case, when we got it home it is very noisy both extending and retracting. I've sprayed the struts with silicone spray which has made no difference. Any suggestions?

Lou_and_Bette

Clean with "mild" soap and water, then apply dry silicone spray lube before you retract legs. I wipe mine off before rack retraction and use lube every month.

hoefler

I would look for a bent leg. They move the units with a fork lift, chances are they drug it or let it roll.

TedS

Hydraulic relief valves squeal when they open. If the relief valve is opening, less oil will go to the landing legs and they will move slower. If the relief valve is opening at lower pressure, the landing legs will struggle working at lower pressure. Some debris may have gotten on the seat of the valve; somehow the valve was readjusted; or the valve spring is failing.

LBR

Possibly the batteries have a marginal charge and working the hydraulics too slowly, causing chatter/squealing....did you check the battery voltage on the 6 way display?

ksucats

Voltage was good, thought about a bent leg but both fronts are doing it. Not sure what valve you are speaking of?

TedS

The relief valve is most likely built into the hydraulic pump assembly. You dealer may or may not be qualified or capable of checking it. The dealer may opt to replace the pump if the valve is faulty and the dealer is not capable of checking it.

TedS

Have someone operate the landing legs while you listen to the system near the pump to find out if the squeal is at the pump or the legs. You could use the 'screw driver to the ear and contacting the pump with the other end of the screw driver' trick to hear the pump sounds better.

ksucats

Sound is definitely from the landing struts. Feel vibration on the strut legs when extending or retracting. Don't see anything bent but will do more thorough look today as weather (heat) permits.

LBR

It's a little far fetched, but possibly the main hydraulic feedline to the front legs has failed internally and collapsed...best description I can make is the hose has herniated and fluid is flowing between the layers of rubber, essentially closing off the hose when pressure is applied...leaving only a small opening for all that high pressure fluid to pump thru, and that is the squeal and causing slight chatter you feel in the legs.