Stabilizers on 2009 Big Horn

CharlesW

I apparently broke the front stabilizer mechanism today on my 5th Wheel. As I was extending the front ones I heard a piece of metal hit the floor and the stabilizer stopped moving. The motor still turned when I hit the ext or retract button but nothing happened.
I then tried to retract the rear stabilizers and the switch would not respond. Checked the circuit breakers, but couldn't find any breakers that operate that system.
We did get setup in a very nice park in Miramar, Fl and not planning to Lv until Monday so I have a few days to figure it out.
Did I mention this is our second trip with our recently purchased used camper. Nice camper, but I lack the manuals to help determine the problem.
if you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them.
Tks.

danemayer

Hi CharlesW,

I'm sure you'll get some advice on the front landing gear shortly.

On the rear stabilizers, the power may go through a buss bar and some 12V mini-circuit breakers near the battery.

I've attached some pictures.

If the stabs are powered through a mini-circuit breaker, it's usually an auto reset. But it's possible someone installed a manual reset. Check for a teeny-tiny reset button on the bottom. Sometimes it's easier to feel it than to see it.

Have the rear stabilizers ever worked for you?

Attachments

• circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 50
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 45

CharlesW

Great info. Tks for the details and photos. The rear stabilizers were working just a few minutes before I broke the front ones. I thought they may have been connected some how.
I will try it first thing in the morning.
Tks again.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When you say that you heard a piece of metal hit the floor, did you identify that piece?
The landing gear on your 2009 BH is driven by a 12 volt motor and small gear box.
The door side and off door side are connected by a shaft.
Can you post a picture of the piece of metal?

Peace
Dave

CharlesW

It's alive. I would never have figured that one out.
Still haven't heard from anyone with any pics or such on the front stabilizers, maybe my issue is unique.
Tks again.

jnbhobe

Look at the right jack at the top where the shaft comes out on the outside of the jack that looks like where you would attach the manual jack handle.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Look at the motor or gearbox on your landing gear. You should see a shaft with a roll pin in it facing the door side of your coach.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

On my 09 BH3670,,, the square hole you pictured is the hole for the manual crank for the front jacks. That looks like the motor shaft that goes through the transmission/gear reduction box and it is broken off the motor. Shaft and gear kits are available.

About the only way to retract the legs now is to replace the motor and shaft or remove cross shaft between the jacks and use a socket and ratchet or something that fits to turn the jack input shaft.

Jim M

caissiel

You jacks are dragging at the gear. It's caused by the pinion and the jack gear not meshing properly. The previous owner did nothing to prevent the larger torque required to move the jack and the shaft broke at the pin location. I found that out on the first year of ownership of our HL. The centering plate is not held on center and the gear moves causing it to climb. When gears don't mesh properly they can increase the torque. On Mine I was unable to jack using the manual crank. For me it was the required test to check the load required.
After supporting the centering plate of the jack the trailer can be lifted easily using the hand crank.

wdk450

I apparently broke . . . . .
Did I mention this is our second trip with our recently purchased used camper. Nice camper, but I lack the manuals to help determine the problem.
if you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them.
Tks.

Most any manual you need is archived on THIS Heartland Owners website. On any forum page (like this one) look at the top bar, click on "Tools", then click on the "Manuals" choice, then select from the systems submenus to get to the manual you need.

CharlesW

Most any manual you need is archived on THIS Heartland Owners website. On any forum page (like this one) look at the top bar, click on "Tools", then click on the "Manuals" choice, then select from the systems submenus to get to the manual you need.

Thank you again to everyone that provided guidance.
signing off from Miramar, Fl.
Great campsite at Camp Gulf.