Stabilizing the front of the FW

Uncle Rog

Thanks Forrest, I have got a lot of time on my hands now and that looks like a good project! Are you only using the two braces or do you have others that are not shown? Thanks again..............

Forrest Fetherolf

Thanks Forrest, I have got a lot of time on my hands now and that looks like a good project! Are you only using the two braces or do you have others that are not shown? Thanks again..............

Rog,

Two braces as shown is photo.........none on the rear stabilizers.

Forrest

Dutch & Di

Jay, Our Plug It Right stabilizers are a variation of the many stabilizing systems on the market today. Although I do appreciate that you are happy with the Plug It Right stabilizers you purchased from us, I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the printed instructions provided. When you called, both Dutch and I spoke with you to explain the installation verbally but it seemed that you were still somewhat unsure of how to install them. I have had just a few customers out of the 300 stabilizers sold who did call for a clarification but that was to ask a question pertaining to their particular brand or got get around an obstructions they thought was in the way. I have not had, until now, a customer who was not able to install from the instructions. After not hearing back from you, I did follow up with a phone call and was happy to hear that you were able to find someone to help you install them and that you in the end were satisfied with your purchase. If there is anything further I can do for you please don't hesitate to call or e-mail me. Diana

I also installed a set of "knock offs" that work real well. Their instructions sucked but luckily for me, I had a good friend of mine to help install them, so they're working well.

PM me for a brand name and a source for them.

Uncle Rog

Forrest, two braces makes sense to me, once you lock down the front / back and side to side motion the other braces would be redundant, as you have shown.........

SmokeyBare

For anyone who wanted to see a couple photos...

These are Plug it Right Stabilizers. http://www.plugitright.com/

They were real easy to install. The folks who make them are helpful... willing to walk you through what ever problems you may encounter.

Attachments

• IMG_2970.jpg
    IMG_2970.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2971.jpg
    IMG_2971.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2972.JPG
    IMG_2972.JPG
    506.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2973.JPG
    IMG_2973.JPG
    742.2 KB · Views: 66

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So, it looks like the hardest thing is drilling and tapping the holes for the frame mount and drilling the front strut legs. Right?

SmokeyBare

Drilling and not breaking the pilot hole... is tricky... laying on one's back... wiggling about... SNAP... grumble.. mumble... Switching out the broken small drill bit...

Actually you only need to drill out the holes for the self tapping metal hex head lag bolts. I drove them in with the same battery drill... using a hex socket head. I used a small bit first ... pilot hole for the next drill bit of the correct size for the self tapping bolt. Simple.

In my case, the front stabilizer that was to the rear of the landing gear leg... required me to make a small change to my Gas line. A Swing Elbow was in the way of where I wanted to place the two bolt bracket for the stabilizer at the frame. I shut down the gas... made the change I needed... and drilled the holes... and Zapped those bolts in... Done Deal !!

Work Great !
Marv

patrick1945

I have the JT Stabilizers and also use a bipod (two legs). One mistake that a lot of folks have made is trying to use a tri or bipod with a Trailaire hitch (or any hitch with an airbag). The airbag defeats the purpose of the tripod, unless it is totally deflated. Anyway, with the JT's, the bipod still helps ours to some degree. I have a MorRyde hitch.

John

Never thought of that with my 5th Airborne Pin Box. When I buy a new rig I will not have an aftermarket pinbox to start.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
patrick, I don't think that I agree with John's statement about the Trailair, air bag. I'm not saying he is wrong, but the way I see it is that the air bag is designed to work with about 3,000# of pin weight. I don't think that my 175# moving around in the coach is going to have any effect on that bag. And so far it hasn't. I have a Trailair pinbox and I do use a tripod. Just my thoughts.
Peace
Dave

Forrest Fetherolf

patrick, I don't think that I agree with John's statement about the Trailair, air bag. I'm not saying he is wrong, but the way I see it is that the air bag is designed to work with about 3,000# of pin weight. I don't think that my 175# moving around in the coach is going to have any effect on that bag. And so far it hasn't. I have a Trailair pinbox and I do use a tripod. Just my thoughts.
Peace

Dave,

I agree with you, 80 psi in the TrailAir hitch-pin mounted on a tri-pod just won't allow one or more people to bounce the 5er around regardless of what they are doing. :rolleyes:
It's the front landing jacks and axle suspension causing any wiggle.

Forrest

jpmorgan37

Try this. Put a tripod on a hitch with an airbag and push the side of the fifth wheel. Then do the same with one without an airbag hitch. I promise you that you will see a difference. Just for what it's worth.

John

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Snooze, ya lose.

Guess I was too slow on the keyboard with my order to Tweety's last night. They called this afternoon and told me they were out of the Plug-it Right's and would not be getting more in. So we changed the order to the Ultra-Fab Eliminators, instead, for $40 more and no shipping charge.

Fordsd250

I got the BAL brand from Dryer's RV for a good price and they work really well. Don't need the tripod anymore.;)