Stainless steel rusting

Rodbuster

Went to a dealer yesterday to set up a generator install and also to get a few warranty issues fixed. One of these issues was that I was getting rust spots in the double stainless steel kitchen sink. The unit is only 3 months old and we wipe down the sink when we are finished with it.
The dealer all but told me that Heartland puts in a pretty inexpensive sink and that he has had 2 other Heartland models that have had the same problem. Mine is the Key Largo.

When my generator comes in (about 2 weeks) and I bring my unit to the dealer, I don't know if I should ask them to replace the sink or just accept the one I have and live with it.

It's kinda too bad....we all pay mega $$$$ for these units, I would expect the manufacturer to use better quality material. "Especially" in items that are open for viewing all the time.

Rodbuster

zurn

rodbuster, The sink was made with low quality (impurtities) stainless steel. This used to happen with knives made in korea a long time ago. If it were me I would have them replace the sink, it will only get much worse.

twohappycampers

I've noticed rust spots (well, maybe just one so far) in my sink too. I haven't remembered to try to remove it with a cleanser yet. It concerns me, though, thinking what kind of quality is this? I've never had a sink rust before.

The longer I live in my new home and the longer I visit these forums, the more things I notice and the more nervous I get about the quality. The list of things I'm hoping the dealer deals with is growing by the day. I don't like to complain or be negative, but I also don't like to be one who does the ostrich routine - you know, sticking my head in the sand ...

We've been without our gas stove since we bought the unit. It developed a leak immediately, and has been inoperable and in for repair all this time (2 1/2 months).

Oops, I was about to put the growing list on here, don't need to be doing that! Too negative a way to start the day. Would rather start it with a :)

I'll follow this post - I'm interested to see what your dealer has to say about putting in a better quality sink for you. I know a lot of these things don't cost all that much to repair or replace, if you're handy at doing things yourself and have the time and $$, and I'd expect that with a used unit, but not with a brand new one.

Take good care - Lorna

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Three summers of use and our stains-less sink has not developed any rust spots. If you're scouring it with an abrasive cleaner, especially one that contains chlorides, expect it to rust. Leaving acidic food residue in prolonged contact will also attack the passivated layer of the stains-less steel. That's what protects it. A sink pad on the bottom of the sink will prevent damage from impact when things are tossed in.

You could probably buy a better quality sink made of a different grade of stainless steel. Open up your wallet and pull out several hundred dollars.

lwmcguir

As the earlier poster noted, avoid any cleaners with Chlorine or chlorine donors in them. Very hard on any grade of SS. So far ours looks like new after two years but as in all things you may have gotten one that wasn't up to par.

olyfire

When we took delivery April of 2010 we noticed two very small spots. The dealer said they would rub out, they didn't.
Within 9 months the sink was almost all rust on the bottom. Don't just put up with this flaw it will most likely get worst. Replace it. I took pictures and emailed them to Heartland. No questions asked, they sent the dealer a new sink for replacement.

mikeandconnie

Our 2009 Landmark with over 300 days of washing dishes looks like new... So something is wrong with a 3 month old sink getting rust spots.

Northern Virginia
My sink also developed rust spots a few months after we bought it. I usually sand them out with 180 grit sand paper. Works for a while then I have to do it again. I figured it was a really cheap grade Chinese stainless steel.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Maybe we're getting what we pay for and some of us are luckier than others. The sink in our house is made by Elkay. It's 20 ga. Type 304 (18-8) stainless steel and is 17 years old. No rust and we have not been gentle with it. Probably too heavy for a RV undermount they way they stick them in and the current price is somewhere north of $500. Anybody got a handle on who supplies the sinks to Heartland?

caissiel

Our best SS fabricator, has a special space in the shop, no one touches his tools, and always complains about the cleanliness of the shop. SS cannot be treated like any other metal, a contaminated steel brush will ruin a good SS job. If a brush is used on other metals he will never use it. So the sanding, brushing, polishing of SS is something that needs excellent care.
Our sink on the BC is a top unit that is glued under the counter and I bet its not of high quality and will not be polished so it can be glued. I checked on some under the counter units our size and they cannot be found, so care for the sink is my choice, and polishing is out of my requirements due to the explain SS handling explained above.

rebootsemi

Just because it says "stainless steel" does not mean it will not rust. The grade of SS in these sinks is probably just barley able to claim it is actually SS. You know that it is the cheapest grade available. Also do not use steel wool scrubbers on SS they will make it rust before your eyes. 304 will rust, 308 less, 316 is your best anti-rust grade. 400 not recommended anywhere near salt water.

Interesting reading:http://www.corrosionist.com/Stainless_Steel_grades.htm

Rodbuster

I thank everybody for their comments on my stainless steel sink.
As a few of you have posted, yes I realize that some grades of SS will rust. I have owned boats all my life (fresh & salt water) and I have had the displeasure of maintaining stainless steel "that does not rust".
My disappointment with this SS sink is as I mentioned before:
The sink (and RV) is only about 3 months old.
Never washed dishes in it...just rinsed glasses and coffee cups a few times. (Used paper plates for our first and only trip)
Never used any type of abrasives...wiped it down with paper towels.

When I take it back to the dealer for my generator install, I think I'll push this issue a little further.

Thanks again for your comments.
Rodbuster

rebootsemi

I thank everybody for their comments on my stainless steel sink.
As a few of you have posted, yes I realize that some grades of SS will rust. I have owned boats all my life (fresh & salt water) and I have had the displeasure of maintaining stainless steel "that does not rust".
My disappointment with this SS sink is as I mentioned before:
The sink (and RV) is only about 3 months old.
Never washed dishes in it...just rinsed glasses and coffee cups a few times. (Used paper plates for our first and only trip)
Never used any type of abrasives...wiped it down with paper towels.

When I take it back to the dealer for my generator install, I think I'll push this issue a little further.

Thanks again for your comments.
Rodbuster

Yah if you have never used it I would raise a bunch of dust and make them give you a new one.