Start out with real tires??

GOTTOYS

Bringing home our new Big Country next week. Should I just dump the tires on it right at the start or take my chances for a few thousand miles? I've been looking at B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs. 235/85/R16LT Load range E. They have a rebate on em right now. Any opinions?? Don

lwmcguir

Doesn't the Big Country come with G614 tires? The ones on the lots here have them, perhaps it is an upgrade.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Big Country does not come with the G614 tires. It comes with an E rated tire. For my money you should get the best American made tire you can afford. A trailer tire is a stiffer tire (stronger sidewall) to prvent sidewall flexing. This is because trailer tires get much more twisting forces on them when turning during backing and cornering. A light truck tire works okay as well. Michelin makes an excellent E rated tire which many persons use. Whether or not you change the tires out immediately is a decision you will have to make. If you decide to change them out right away you might be able to sell them or get something out of them as a used tire. Good luck.

RoadJunkie

Don, I feel the decision of running a particular brand of tire is based on piece of mind, whatever that is (insurance companies love people that don't have "piece of mind"). The legend of defective Chinese tires has perpetuated--and grown--over many years, but the fact is that all tire manufactures have experienced failures. Are failures the result of tire neglect--inappropriate pressure or overloading--, road hazards, or spontaneous failure possibly due to material defect or inadequate manufacturing process? Probably all of the above. You have to remember that those who write to discuss their tire failures on forums are typically extremely agitated because of the tire failure, the inconvenience, and damage experienced as a result. What you don't read are threads from the thousands and thousands of RVs that have no tire failure; it doesn't make good press when the news is a non-event. But buying name-brand tires, such as Goodyear, doesn't mean you get to ignore tire etiquette, so be careful to compare apples with apples.

My choice (even though you didn't ask!)? I have Freestar tires and plan to use them for a couple of years while monitoring them closely and ensuring proper pressure and loading. I have 4K miles on the tires and...so far so good.

lhetsler

In case it might help, I have freestar on my 2008 Bighorn and have about 14000 on them. I do watch them like a hawk.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ahhh, I feel better already. Mine are Freestars, with less than 2000 miles on them. I keep my eye on them (which explains the black marks on my forehead) and they look like new. Last May, before hauling it north, I topped them off to 110psi and when I checked them before bringing it home this month, they were between 100 and 105. They got topped off again before we pulled.

Something I mentioned in another thread on China Bombs is that with all the brands out there, the victim should be more specific and name the bomb maker. Maybe there's a consistency, maybe not, but it might help to know more than just "China Bomb."