Need advise with respect to best tires for our Bighorn 2014' 3260EL

GregBassine

Hello All,

Since we've owned our rig, we've only been able to go a couple hundred miles per trip, and the tires that came with the rig seem to be doing fine (so far as we know). This June, we're going to be doing some distance traveling (Oregon to Yosemite National Park and the National Heartland Rally in Vegas and other places in between).

That said, at a rally we attended in Oregon, there was mention of the type of tires we should be using for best performance while on the road, but of course we didn't take notes. We have factory "E" rated tires right now so wanted to check with you folks to get your opinions on what you think we need for our 3260EL.

Anything you can share will of course be appreciated. We currently have: ST235 / 80R16.

Also, we have a 2012 Chevy Silverado short bed pick-up (Duramax Diesel with Allison transmission). What rating of tires do you think we should be using? We currently have factory Michelin LT265 / 70R, Load range "E". Tread is in pretty good shape. Your thoughts?

With both the Bighorn and the Chevy truck don't know if we need the absolute best (most expensive) our there, so we really value your opinions...

Thanks in advance,

Char & Greg
2014' 3260EL
2012 Chevy Silverado (Duramax Diesel & Allison transmission)

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What are the brand of tire on your Bighorn?

If they are TowMax (AKA - BlowMax) . . . you definately need to get them off before you travel.

A lot of people with the bigger 5'vers are going with the Sailuns or the Goodyear tires (not the GY Marathon's), but you have to look on the inside or your wheels to see if they can handle 110 psi first.

By the by . . . see you in Vegas! (we are in site #125)

GregBassine

Thanks for getting back so soon. They are indeed Towmax (Blowmax). We're from Oregon, and there's a longtime tire dealer called Les Schwab who we've been buying tires there for 2 generations, so will probably buy what they have and what is comparable to your recommendations. Any Les Schwab customers out there know what to get from them?

BTW, we're in site 127. See you there neighbor! Please drop by and say hi!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
As John said, check the rating on your current wheels. Based on the tire size that you currently have there is a good chance you will be alright.
If you look on the back side of your spokes you will find the rating stamped or molded into the rim.
If 110 or 3750 are found you are good to go with a G rated tire.
I recommend the Sailun G rated tire. There have been no bad reports on that tire.
If your rims do not have them, get the bolt on steel valve stems installed.

Peace
Dave

Gary521

DO not go with what Les Schwab recommends. Go with what is recommended here. These recommendation come from what works. Most tire store "experts" are clueless.

NHCelt

Probably about anything is better than what you have now. Towmax is a bad tire.

I had Towmax back in 2010 on another brand and had issues. The trouble with that brand continues.

Add to that the tendency of manufacturers to put the minimally acceptable rated tire on their trailers and you have a recipe for tire failure.

In my opinion present tire ratings do no allow sufficient margin for the road forces involved in towing a tall, heavy trailer.

If you have 110 rated wheels, you are much better off with a G rated tire. I have had Goodyear G614 in the past and they performed flawlessly over many miles. My new Bighorn has Sailun and they have gotten very strong reviews. With the road dynamics and weight transfer you are dealing with, an E rated tire is asking for trouble. The blowouts are one thing...the likely repair costs another.

E rated on your tow vehicle is correct.

Celt

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Odds are that you have rims that are rated for 80 psi if the rig has E rated tires on it now. If you stick with E rated tires on the Bighorn there is only one choice, Put Maxxis M8008 tires on the camper. Or you will need to switch to 110 psi wheels with g rated tires. Be aware that there are a lot of bad reviews out there on most of the G rated tires available also. Sailuns seem to have the best reviews out there right now for the G rating.

For the DMax E rated is where you want to stay.

Good luck and good travels.

Wesley

brianlajoie

Odds are that you have rims that are rated for 80 psi if the rig has E rated tires on it now. If you stick with E rated tires on the Bighorn there is only one choice, Put Maxxis M8008 tires on the camper. Or you will need to switch to 110 psi wheels with g rated tires. Be aware that there are a lot of bad reviews out there on most of the G rated tires available also. Sailuns seem to have the best reviews out there right now for the G rating.

I would not agree with this automatically. My 3210RE which is a little smaller has 110 PSI rated wheels. I think you have the best advice and get Sailun or Goodyear. I have the Goodyear G614's on my trailer.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Our ElkRidge came with E rated Towmax. It also had 110psi rated wheels. Switched to Goodyear G614 with now problem.

GregP

I have a 2014 BH 3010RE which came with the E rated Towmax tires on 110psi wheels. I can't say they are all equipped that way, but it is easy enough to check as other posters have noted. Check for yourself and be sure before you order. I am replacing all five of the Towmax with Sailuns before going back on the road. Have not personally had any issues with the Towmax, but want to replace them now (30000 miles) and feel better about the upgrade.

Jv75353

We have a Cyclone with three axles and replaced the Towmax (Blowmax) with the Goodyear G614 tires before our first trip. There was a big improvement in how the rig rode and handled. We chose the Goodyear's because the Sailun's are .9" bigger in diameter than the Towmax tires and were concerned about tire clearance during tight maneuvering. You may have more clearance between your tires with a two axle rig. We also upgraded the spare. Good luck with your decision.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks for getting back so soon. They are indeed Towmax (Blowmax). We're from Oregon, and there's a longtime tire dealer called Les Schwab who we've been buying tires there for 2 generations, so will probably buy what they have and what is comparable to your recommendations. Any Les Schwab customers out there know what to get from them?

BTW, we're in site 127. See you there neighbor! Please drop by and say hi!

If you're buying from Les Schwab, most likely they'll have G rated trailer tires from Gladiator.
I replaced our Goodyears (worn and one had a broken belt) at a Schwab in Montana on our way home from Alaska. Goodyears were not available at Schwab.
I would think your wheels are rated 110 psi. Mine are. 6K axles, 3010RE.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
If you stick with the E rated tires, I recommend the Michelin xps rib tire. Best E rated that I've used.

Gaffer

Les Schwab in Oregon does sell Towmax and claims to have no knowledge of problems with them. You don't metion what floor plan you have. If it is one of the lighter Bighorns (10k or so on the rear axels) and want to stay
with the E rated tires, you can't beat the Maxxis. If Les won't bring them in for you, go to Discount.

GregBassine

Thank you all for your feedback. I checked my rims, and they did say 110 PSI, so we're good to go to upgrade our tires. Now the hard part is to find dealers which carry what we need.

There are no Sailiun dealers within 300 miles. Checking on availability of the Goodyear G614. No one "carries" it, but America's Tire is checking if they can order them since they do carry Goodyear tires. Unit I hear back, we're in a holding pattern.

In the meantime, does anyone have experience with Geostar G574 All Steel Highway tires? They are carried by Les Schwab, and a trusted fellow Bighorn owner got them and seems very happy with them. Your thoughts?

Greg

Hello All,

Since we've owned our rig, we've only been able to go a couple hundred miles per trip, and the tires that came with the rig seem to be doing fine (so far as we know). This June, we're going to be doing some distance traveling (Oregon to Yosemite National Park and the National Heartland Rally in Vegas and other places in between).

That said, at a rally we attended in Oregon, there was mention of the type of tires we should be using for best performance while on the road, but of course we didn't take notes. We have factory "E" rated tires right now so wanted to check with you folks to get your opinions on what you think we need for our 3260EL.

Anything you can share will of course be appreciated. We currently have: ST235 / 80R16.

Also, we have a 2012 Chevy Silverado short bed pick-up (Duramax Diesel with Allison transmission). What rating of tires do you think we should be using? We currently have factory Michelin LT265 / 70R, Load range "E". Tread is in pretty good shape. Your thoughts?

With both the Bighorn and the Chevy truck don't know if we need the absolute best (most expensive) our there, so we really value your opinions...

Thanks in advance,

Char & Greg
2014' 3260EL
2012 Chevy Silverado (Duramax Diesel & Allison transmission)

Jv75353

Thank you all for your feedback. I checked my rims, and they did say 110 PSI, so we're good to go to upgrade our tires. Now the hard part is to find dealers which carry what we need.

There are no Sailiun dealers within 300 miles. Checking on availability of the Goodyear G614. No one "carries" it, but America's Tire is checking if they can order them since they do carry Goodyear tires. Unit I hear back, we're in a holding pattern.

In the meantime, does anyone have experience with Geostar G574 All Steel Highway tires? They are carried by Les Schwab, and a trusted fellow Bighorn owner got them and seems very happy with them. Your thoughts?

Greg
Check the Simple Tire website they carry the Sailun tires and you can get a good price from them that can include shipping to a tire dealer in your area. Shipping the tires to a commercial business is more economical then shipping to your home address. When ordering you will be given choices of tire dealers that Simple Tire works with in your area, you just select who you want to have them shipped to. Depending on where you live will determine how many dealers are available. Good luck with your search.

NHCelt

If it was me, I would by the Sailum online. If your insurance has a super high deductible, then perhaps consider Goodyear as they are good about paying for blowout damage. Geostar is an unknown quantity to me. I suspect they are more of a label than a brand...and I don't think you want to take a chance.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

sengli

We went with G614's on our 3260 a couple of years ago. We had blow max tires originally. I didnt have any issue's, but with the stories I read on here it convinced me to swap out the tires before we did. We dont really travel very far with our rig, as we arent full timers. They were like $1450 for a set of four installed. Not issue's so far, but man are those tires heavy! We installed the new good years on our OEM rims as well.