State to State Requirement - When Towing - Any?

DesertThumper

I thought I would ask this question here. We are planning our first long trip in our new RW400 from CA to MT in May 2014. We were wondering if we had to do anything special with DMV or contact the Highway Patrol - etc when traveling state to state? Permit? Any requirements??? Not needed?

I hold a Class A Non Commercial license currently.

Does anyone also know if certain states only require a standard motor vehicle license to be able to tow my rig size, weight and be legal? In case my wife has to drive and give me a break from driving.

Routes to take while considering "Trailer Height Clearance" on the road - Stay on the Interstate???

Good books or internet sites to locate the larger gas stations during your travel?

We appreciate your feed back.

Al & Lisa

Lynn1130

I have pulled in most of the SW and central and north central and have never had a problem or worried about it. The highway patrol has much more to worry about than pulling over RVers and checking licenses. No permits are needed and unless you are hauling something commercially you need not stop at weigh stations. Just get on the road, keep it at 65 and enjoy the trip.

MTPockets

Nothing required at all. We've travelled in 49 States with no issues. As far as roads, we use an RV GPS to assist with mainly, bridge clearance. Last 2 yrs the Rand McNally RVND7710, but have on order the Garmin RV unit. We need 13'2" to clear any underpasses, so just be aware of where you are headed. No problems on any truck routes and State or Interstate Hwys.

scottyb

Al, I know there are some states that do not require it, and I have seen a list of all states requirements if I can find it. I think it depends on whether that particular state offers a Class A or B non commercial license or not. It's still a fuzzy topic. Texas has clarified it in the most recent version of the CDL Handbook. It seems like Texas is on par with at least half or more of the country on this subject.

Who needs a Commercial Driver License?
All drivers who operate a commercial motor vehicle (see
definition on page 1-1) will be required to have a
Commercial Driver License (CDL) by April 1, 1992. The law
does provide for some exemptions. If the driver meets one
or more of the criteria listed below, he will not be required to
have a CDL. However, the driver will be required to have a
Class A, B, or C Non-CDL License.

DW_Gray

As long as you have the correct license for your rig in the state which you live, you can tow it anywhere as far as I know. It's the law of reciprocity, a.k.a Driver License Compact (DLC). More info here.

DesertThumper

Thanks for all your replies. My thoughts are after your suggestions and real-time shared experiences on the road, I need not to worry. That helps a bunch for us.

Scotty, I put that question out about my wife possibly letting her drive is to make further head way if she was up to driving and being legal. I hate to put her on the drivers seat and boom, we get pulled over. I noticed looking at Utah, the only requirements is a "Class D" which sounds like the equivalent to a standard motor vehicle license. She was offering to drive some of the ways. Thought I would check in with you guys.

What do you think about this site I found in regards to towing laws by states, not sure if this is good or bad information. But somewhat gives you an idea... I guess. http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

I stumbled on this as I was probing the net: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/types-of-drivers-licenses/

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Check out a book called "The Next Exit", it's a guide to the interstates and what is available at each exit-- food, gas, rv parks, service, etc. Before we had an external fuel tank, we were searching for rv friendly diesel fuel stops every 200 miles, and this book was very handy for our trips across multiple states.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_?k=next+exit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Before we had an external fuel tank, we were searching for rv friendly diesel fuel stops every 200 miles . . .

After our running out of gas in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska last summer, we now carry a full five-gallon gas can with us on trips that take us to areas with long stretches of no civilization!

We did enjoy a nice quiet lunch in the trailer while waiting for Good Sam's Roadside Assistance to send us some 'roadside assistance'! :cool:

Attachments

• OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg
    OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 51

alex00

Al,

Dave nailed it with the driver license reciprocity. You'll be good to go in all 50 states as long as you are licensed to drive your configuration in your home state. However, reciprocity is only applicable on the stricter side, meaning that Lisa can drive the rig in states that don't require an "A" license, even though she doesn't have one in CA.

The other thing you could do, is have Lisa get her non-com A permit. Then she can drive in CA with you and she has a year before it expires. It shouldn't be too hard to get her educated to take the written test, even if she has no intention of taking the drive test right away. My wife said she would eventually think about getting her A, so she can drive.

DesertThumper

Al,

Dave nailed it with the driver license reciprocity. You'll be good to go in all 50 states as long as you are licensed to drive your configuration in your home state. However, reciprocity is only applicable on the stricter side, meaning that Lisa can drive the rig in states that don't require an "A" license, even though she doesn't have one in CA.

The other thing you could do, is have Lisa get her non-com A permit. Then she can drive in CA with you and she has a year before it expires. It shouldn't be too hard to get her educated to take the written test, even if she has no intention of taking the drive test right away. My wife said she would eventually think about getting her A, so she can drive.

That is a great idea. Didn't even think about that one. She does plan on doing the whole thing too. I will share that info on the way to work tomorrow.

Thanks for the book suggestion - Erica & Tony. Lisa will end up ordering one online.

wdk450

After our running out of gas in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska last summer, we now carry a full five-gallon gas can with us on trips that take us to areas with long stretches of no civilization!

We did enjoy a nice quiet lunch in the trailer while waiting for Good Sam's Roadside Assistance to send us some 'roadside assistance'! :cool:

Running out of diesel is more of a worry. My GPS lists the next gas stations, but I have no listing of who has and doesn't have deisel. I had a major issue on I-80 in Iowa last summer, finally found a gas station (with no diesel) and was told the nearest diesel station was 10 miles up the road (I made it). I have tried to look on the internet for a diesel stations listing or GPS app, but not found it. Any suggestions? I guess I could use a diesel jerry can for peace of mind.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try putting the GasBuddy app on your phone. You can let it find stations and select diesel in the search.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Al, driving to MT on I-15 is a none-issue as far as getting fuel. Having a 50 ga. tank plus you OEM tank is plenty of fuel to get you anywhere. I always figure 10 MPG when traveling. Remember, from Ca. to Mt. is all up hill. There are Flying J's everywhere. You can also stay the nite and just park out with the "big Ol' trucks"....just don't put out your slides. A good one is Beaver Ut. Also, once you get past LV there is very little traffic on the roads. Once you are out of Ca. there are not many bridges....the ones you will go under are 15' plus. Once you are out of Ca. the speed limits are alot higher. MT..75mph daytime..Ut...some places are 85 mph. We go to Mt. all the time....where are planning to go? Lisa's DL is up to you. Send me a PM with your PH# and maybe I can help you with roads to take and not take.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Running out of diesel is more of a worry. My GPS lists the next gas stations, but I have no listing of who has and doesn't have deisel. I had a major issue on I-80 in Iowa last summer, finally found a gas station (with no diesel) and was told the nearest diesel station was 10 miles up the road (I made it). I have tried to look on the internet for a diesel stations listing or GPS app, but not found it. Any suggestions? I guess I could use a diesel jerry can for peace of mind.

My new rule of thumb is this . . .

When in doubt . . . never pass up a gas station . . . even if you don't need it yet! :eek:

B

BouseBill

I see you are driving a 3500 (1Ton), one thing I will point out for guys/gals driving in Montana with larger tow vehicles is be aware of Montana's speed limit for "heavy trucks" I know of only one guy who got a ticket for speeding in Montana on a rural road, but you never know who is going to pull you over;)

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/speed_limit.shtml

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's why "The Next Exit" is handy, don't have to have a smart phone or the internet to find what's up ahead. If you have the most current version of the book (2014), it's probably pretty accurate. We have a 2010 edition and have come across inaccurate information (something no longer in business).

It also marks which fuel stations and other places have "rv friendly" access, great when you need to stop and eat or if you can fit at their pumps.

pegmikef

Check out a book called "The Next Exit", it's a guide to the interstates and what is available at each exit-- food, gas, rv parks, service, etc. Before we had an external fuel tank, we were searching for rv friendly diesel fuel stops every 200 miles, and this book was very handy for our trips across multiple states.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_?k=next+exit

This is very good and the other one we also carry and find useful is the Walmart Atlas. It lists all the Walmart and Sams Stores by state, by town and specifies hours, location directions, types of fuel available (if any) and the type of store (e.g., supercenter). Again, no smart phone or gps needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Walmart-Atlas...&qid=1392054601&sr=8-2&keywords=walmart+atlas

donr827

I use the The Next Exit all the time when traveling. I like to plan my fuel stops the day before leaving.
Don

DesertThumper

Thanks so much everyone!!! Lisa and I read all of your postings and find it very useful including the books and app download for the phone. We have to compliment the friends here are all awesome. What a great network of RV lovers!!!