State to State Requirement - When Towing - Any?

TandC

Al,
Two books we always take are (1) "The Next Exit" - picked up the 2014 edition yesterday at Camping Word for $12.95
and (2) the "2014 Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory" available at Camping World for $9.95.

hriker

We purchased a Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers Road Atlas. It has all the trucking routes for US, Canada and Mexico. It includes information on route restriction, low clearances and other useful information. We use it all the time. The next exit is a good resource as well. Its organized by state then interstate. Another option that we like better is "Exit Now". Exit Now provides the same information but is organized by interstate and you don't have to keep flipping through different states. For low clearances I have a few resources. I purchased a point of interest file of low clearances for the US from lowclearance.com. You install it on your GPS so it prompts you if you are coming near a low clearance within your specific limits, ie the height you set and distance away that you wish to be notified.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

DesertThumper

I see you are driving a 3500 (1Ton), one thing I will point out for guys/gals driving in Montana with larger tow vehicles is be aware of Montana's speed limit for "heavy trucks" I know of only one guy who got a ticket for speeding in Montana on a rural road, but you never know who is going to pull you over;)

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/speed_limit.shtml

Thanks for the link Bouse Bill and everyone's two cents. Everyone of you has made us be more educated for preparing our first exciting long upcoming trip.

DesertThumper

Does anyone know if oregon or utah require an endorsement or license upgrade needed for towing with gcwr over 30,000 lbs?We are considering relocating to one of these states in the near future. Any tips would be great!

alex00

Does anyone know if oregon or utah require an endorsement or license upgrade needed for towing with gcwr over 30,000 lbs?We are considering relocating to one of these states in the near future. Any tips would be great!

Utah will not. According to the flow chart, it is based on the GVWR of the power unit. Then Hazardous materials, then passengers. You'd be good in Utah with a normal "car" license.

Oregon didn't make it clear on the DMV website. They require an A license for any combination over 26K, but I couldn't dig deep enough to see if they specifically exempt RVs. On the face of it, Oregon defines a commercial vehicle by weight, just like California, without regard for whether it is used in commercial business. Obviously California has exemptions and I'm sure Oregon does to, I just could't easily find them. (I'm not used to reading their vehicle code).

danemayer

Here's a link to a state-by-state view of license requirements. Based on many past discussions, even in states like California that have a crystal-clear requirement for Class A non-commercial licenses on most 5th wheels, it doesn't appear that the laws are enforced on RVs. The table doesn't show any special requirement in Utah or Oregon. The data looks like it's been updated as recently as January 2014.

DesertThumper

<p>
Thanks for your feedbacks. If you carry special endorsements or a different license letter, would you know if that would carry over to your new state. Lets say if you move to another state? If it is not required in that State, does that license letter go away if they dont have a class a non commercial license requirement?  Just wondering...</p>

danemayer

Thanks for your feedbacks. If you carry special endorsements or a different license letter, would you know if that would carry over to your new state. Lets say if you move to another state? If it is not required in that State, does that license letter go away if they dont have a class a non commercial license requirement? Just wondering...
When I was prepping for my CDL, the instructor had a California student. He said he had a lot of out of state students who came to train with him for 3 or 4 days so they could get a Texas Class A CDL. Then they'd go home and trade it for a Class A CDL of their home state.