Strange tire wear

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I need help diagnosing a possible tire (or other) issue. This Tow Max tire is right at the 1 year mark (one year from purchase), and did not show any wear like this on our trip to Colorado in December. We noticed it after driving 390 miles on our current trip to New Mexico. This significant wear is only on 1/4 of the circumference of the tire, not all the way around, on the inside edge. Directly across the tire from the worn area, the tread on the same edge is nearly normal! It was the driver's side rear. We had our roadside assistance come and change the tire, so that we would not experience a blowout during the rest of the 200 miles of our trip.

None of the other tires have this wear. We maintain correct air pressure in the tires and check them each stop. The tires were rotated and balanced in November.

I plan to contact Heartland to see what options I have since I am 5 days out of my 1 year warranty.

Attachments

• Photo Mar 13, 7 53 32 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 13, 7 53 32 PM.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 65
  • Photo Mar 13, 7 55 02 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 13, 7 55 02 PM.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 62

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I need help diagnosing a possible tire (or other) issue. This Tow Max tire is right at the 1 year mark (one year from purchase), and did not show any wear like this on our trip to Colorado in December. We noticed it after driving 390 miles on our current trip to New Mexico. This significant wear is only on 1/4 of the circumference of the tire, not all the way around, on the inside edge. Directly across the tire from the worn area, the tread on the same edge is nearly normal! It was the driver's side rear. We had our roadside assistance come and change the tire, so that we would not experience a blowout during the rest of the 200 miles of our trip.

None of the other tires have this wear. We maintain correct air pressure in the tires and check them each stop. The tires were rotated and balanced in November.

I plan to contact Heartland to see what options I have since I am 5 days out of my 1 year warranty.

I would say your axle has gone out of alignment. This happened to me on my former SOB. One tire was wearing unevenly around the outside. Look at the distance between the tires on both sides. If they are not at least close to the same, I would guess that is your problem. I would get it fixed asap.

Mr.D

Got the same problem. I have about 9K miles on mine. I'm coming out of Mexico this week and plan on having the alignment checked ASAP!

GOTTOYS

Probably an alignment problem. Doesn't take much to knock the axle out of alignment. Any heavy-duty truck repair shop that does alignments can straighten it up. Not that expensive. Good luck...Don

DougS

Doug S
Looks like my tire tread after I discovered my rear axle was straight lined. Look under the RV, the axle should have a bow up ward like a frown, mine was straight across and had to be replaced along with the tire.

DougS

hoefler

Since the wear is not all the way around the tire, it is either a out of balance condition or a bad belt in the tire. The first thing I would do, is get the tire on a balance machine and see if it spins smooth and not out of round. Then check the balance, it could have thrown a weight.

davidg

I would say seeing the age of that tire and the quality of the tires that are put on your rv it's a bad belt, to check it yourself you can put it back on the rv and spin it with your hand and watch it very carefully as it spins you may be able to see the bubble in the area of the wear.
David

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that if it is not worn all the way around the tire that it would be a tire problem. I would call Tredit Tire and discuss it with them. 866-443-9907.

Peace
Dave

navyAZ1

We had the same problem on 3 of the tires that came on our coach, they were just over a year old so I replaced all 4 with Goodyear Marathon's the tire shop told me it was the bands separating. These tires did well until a couple of months ago when the right rear showed a strange wear pattern on the outter edge, checked the axle alignment it was fine turns out it was the outter wheel bearing going bad found some movement in the brake drum so I replaced the bearings and all was good.

I went ahead and replaced all the wheel bearings while I was at it since it was time to repack the bearings any way and I just wanted to get rid of the cheap crap china made bearings. Put on a new tire and all is well. See Y'all at the Rally.

Ron