Suffering with 30amps, in a 50 RW427

Smitty325

The only site at the lake has 30amp service. I thought the tech that trained us told me I could use my generator to run the other two a.c. units. I have a power control panel...no help. It was still in the mid 90s, last check. Can't get wife out of the bedroom...only cool place. Ideas??

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

wdk450

Unless things have changed, you can only run 1 source of AC power. Either the generator OR shorepower. There is an automatic transfer switch that cuts out shorepower when the generator sends out energy. If you turn the breakers for everything else off you MIGHT be able to run both Air Conditioners off of 30 amp power. The big question would be the momentary start-up current for each AC which can be many times the run current. The run current for each 15K BTU air conditioner is about 12 amps. Do you know the wattage/maximum amps for your generator? My typical for other loads (Converter and refrigerator) is about 7 amps.

Best bet if you want to run both AC's and you only have 30 amp shorepower is to run off generator. Hopefully it works OK and you have enough fuel for it.

Smitty325

I am ok, cutting out the shore power, but there must be one more switch, because with shore power off, generator running we were unable to start any of our a.c. units.

fastcarsspeed

Odd. I run off the Generator with both A/C Units in our Cyclone. I would unplug shorepower and give it a couple min. Then fire up the Generator and turn on A/C units separately after a couple of min so you don't have both of the compressor startup loads at the same time. Do you have the onan 5500 Generator?

Smitty325

Odd. I run off the Generator with both A/C Units in our Cyclone. I would unplug shorepower and give it a couple min. Then fire up the Generator and turn on A/C units separately after a couple of min so you don't have both of the compressor startup loads at the same time. Do you have the onan 5500 Generator?
I do have the 5500. I thought there might be a selector switch somewhere I have not yet found. I will try the 5min rest thing...in the morning. Surprisingly the single unit is cooling off the coach, now that the sun went down.

danemayer

There's no way to use both power sources at the same time. If there were, you could backfeed the shore power electrical system and get someone hurt or killed. That's the reason there's an automatic transfer switch that only allows 1 power source to be used at any time.

5,500 watts from the generator should run 2 A/C units, if they're on different power legs and you're careful about what else is using electricity. Make sure the water heater is on propane. If you have a gas absorption refrigerator, set that to propane mode. Avoid using the microwave/toaster/hairdryers/washer-dryer as much as possible, and do not try to run multiple devices at the same time.

CDN

B and B
I have a Progressive dual 30 amp to 50 amp adapter. I managed to buy this at clearance for $25 on Amazon.ca.

I have used this to run both AC units on a dual 3 amp pedestal. I can also add a 20 amp uground to 30 amp and use this to run the bedroom AC on 20 amps.

This is available now

http://www.conntek.com/products.asp?id=723

30 to 50.jpg

LBR

Does your generator power ANY 120V circuits with the shore power unplugged? It should run 2 ACs...my Power Command reads the generator output at 45 amps.

If your generator is not putting out power, check the 30A breakers on it....they could have been left off at the dealership?

Smitty325

Does your generator power ANY 120V circuits with the shore power unplugged? It should run 2 ACs...my Power Command reads the generator output at 45 amps.

If your generator is not putting out power, check the 30A breakers on it....they could have been left off at the dealership?
Will check to see if I can find the additional circuits. My command center reads 45 amps, but I do not understand the selection menu, it asks which a.c. to select.

LBR

Will check to see if I can find the additional circuits. My command center reads 45 amps, but I do not understand the selection menu, it asks which a.c. to select.

If it reads 45A, then generator is OK...

That Command Center is readout only...the buttons will work you thru different menus, but you do not use it to select a specific AC or another 120 V plugin/appliance to run. You can read more about it's functions, such as shedding loads, later on this site, but it isn't the reason for ACs not working.

Check your main breaker panel....shut both main switches off, then back on...they are usually the 2 on the immediate left side.

Make sure all AC breakers are on...click off, then back on.

Have you located all thermostats?...one for each AC? D the displays work OK when you toggle thru the menus?

Smitty325

If it reads 45A, then generator is OK...

That Command Center is readout only...the buttons will work you thru different menus, but you do not use it to select a specific AC or another 120 V plugin/appliance to run. You can read more about it's functions, such as shedding loads, later on this site, but it isn't the reason for ACs not working.

Check your main breaker panel....shut both main switches off, then back on...they are usually the 2 on the immediate left side.

Make sure all AC breakers are on...click off, then back on.

Have you located all thermostats?...one for each AC? D the displays work OK when you toggle thru the menus?
The a.c. units are independently controlled. This morning, we shut the front off, turned the middle on. Later in the day as it gets up, I will disconnect shore power, wait a few minutes, then start the generator, then try to start one a.c., and a few minutes later, start a second. I am told the Hisense refrigerator is electric only, so I doubt I can do much about it. I do appreciate th information. My wife and I bought this Road Warrior 427, as we intend to retire soon and travel. Lord knows I want to become an expert quickly. We have had the coach 3 weeks, camped each weekend, and found new issues to learn. Best wishes!😊

LBR

It's not surprising that only one AC is working on 30A...but there is an issue if you can't get two ACs working off of the generator. You don't have to disconnect shore power before starting genny, as the transfer switch will automatically do that ..but if you feel better pulling the plug, no problem.

I always have the DW shut everything 120V off inside, then I flip both main breakers off at the breaker box, and only then will pull the plug out of pedestal...that method is highly recommended by the experts here....good enough for them, good enough for me....

Spend as much time reading the threads and support manuals as you're able to....it will pay you back when a camping emergency crops up. Happy camping!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Although you want more ACs running you could run a regular fan to circulate the air better throughout your RV. It can be amazing how much cooler the entire RV can get with more air circulation. I use a box fan in addition to one AC when I am on 30 amps. It is a trick i learned when I only had one AC and needed better cooling.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We've been on 30amp for 6 days now, running 2 AC's during the day, residential fridge microwave, all has been working fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Would love to hear your secret

No secret.
I plugged in using the 50amp to 30am adapter on Monday night it's only been in the high 80's low 90's I have the main AC set on 72° and the middle AC set on 73° they've been running all day. We've been watching satilite TV all day and use the microwave to heat up breakfast and the dog's chicken twice a day. Not even a glitch the entire 6 days.
We are so use to being on 50 Service and not worrying about it, I forget that we were only on 30
Never needed to turn on the 3rd AC in the bedroom. That when things would have probably given in.

danemayer

No secret.
I plugged in using the 50amp to 30am adapter on Monday night it's only been in the high 80's low 90's I have the main AC set on 72° and the middle AC set on 73° we've been watching satilite TV all day and use the microwave to heat up breakfast and the dog's chicken twice a day. Not eavn a glitch the entire 6 days.
We are so use to being on 50 Service and not worrying about it, I forget that we were only on 30
Never needed to turn on the 3rd AC in the bedroom. That when things would have probably given in.

The PCS Power Control System in the Landmark 365 will manage power consumption to meet available power by shedding loads automatically. When available power is exhausted, the PCS unit will cut power to the water heater, then the rear A/C unit, then the front A/C unit, then Washer/Dryer, then mid-A/C unit, then microwave.

When the PCS sheds power from the A/C units, the blowers continue to run, so it may not be obvious that a change has occurred from running the microwave.

A little brother PCS was introduced on Cyclones, and probably Road Warriors, not too long ago. I'm not sure of it's capabilities or programming. But if it's displaying 45 amps when the generator is running, it's telling you that's how much power it has to work with. And just like on the LM365, when you have too much stuff running, it will likely shut down the A/C units to stay within the available power limit.

Smitty325

You have a good power supply. My shore power 30amp is reading low to mid 20s.