Suffering with 30amps, in a 50 RW427

TxRoadWarrior362

We are in Longview and don't have any 30 or 50 amp service at the lake house. Been running the generator 24/7 since Saturday morning. We are able to run the garage and bedroom ac without problems.

The Roadwarrior's generator seems to have the garage and middle ac units on the same 30 amp as well as other items. We can't run both those units at the same time or 30 amp trips at generator.

you should be able to run the middle and bedroom if this is the same in your rig?

carl.swoyer

I set my ac 2° apart from each other while on 30 amp. This works because they won't cycle on at the same time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Smitty325

New twist
Popped one shore power, breaker on the 30amp, likely due to the microwave. Thought it was a good time to see if the generator would run two a.c. units as reported. Fired up the generator, let it run a couple minutes. Disconnected shore power, and started the front a.c.. all well, and I was trying to get the rear C going and my wife stared her popcorn in the microwave. All power to a.c., and will plugs stopped. The Power Control System (That had displayed even 45amp) read 0 amps from generator. All breakers good, no apparent fuses burnt. Like a dummy, I went up front and took a look to see if there was a breaker or something to flip. Called tech support, they led me to the generator breakers, and one tripped, but will not reset. So, back on shore power with, power management the rest of the weekend

fastcarsspeed

Microwaves are big power hogs but I find it very odd that you could not run those with the generator. I would be a little worried about the power control unit.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The PCS Power Control System in the Landmark 365 will manage power consumption to meet available power by shedding loads automatically. When available power is exhausted, the PCS unit will cut power to the water heater, then the rear A/C unit, then the front A/C unit, then Washer/Dryer, then mid-A/C unit, then microwave.

When the PCS sheds power from the A/C units, the blowers continue to run, so it may not be obvious that a change has occurred from running the microwave.

A little brother PCS was introduced on Cyclones, and probably Road Warriors, not too long ago. I'm not sure of it's capabilities or programming. But if it's displaying 45 amps when the generator is running, it's telling you that's how much power it has to work with. And just like on the LM365, when you have too much stuff running, it will likely shut down the A/C units to stay within the available power limit.
Boy Dan if that's thanks case this PCS worked flawlessly the whole week. Like I said I forgot that we were on 30amp Service the whole week and never noticed if it actually shed any loads or not. I wish I would have kept an eye on it to see what it did.

This Landmark is amazing !!!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

If the generator breaker won't reset, I doubt it's the PCS. Sounds more like you have something shorted or otherwise pulling a lot of power. Or maybe the breaker won't reset because there's still stuff on that leg trying to pull more power than the breaker supplies.

Some Onan 5500 generators come with one 30 amp and one 20 amp breaker. If you have a 20 amp breaker, it would be pretty easy to trip it with an A/C unit and anything else on that leg.

In addition to running both A/C units and the microwave, each pulling close to 15 amps, the Power Converter pulls anywhere from 2 amps to over 15 amps. And if you have a residential refrigerator, when the compressor kicks on, it pulls around 8 amps.

Try turning everything off at the circuit breaker panel, along with both A/C units. Switch the water heater to propane. Then start the generator. Turn on both A/C breakers. Start one A/C unit. Then start the 2nd A/C unit. All the other breakers should still be off. With both A/C units running, turn breakers on 1 at a time to see if something trips the generator's breakers.

LBR

A little brother PCS was introduced on Cyclones, and probably Road Warriors, not too long ago. I'm not sure of it's capabilities or programming.

FYI, our late 2017 CY will show 45A on generator power and the only things listed on PCS when scrolling are the 3 ACs....no other power users are listed.

Smitty325

FYI, our late 2017 CY will show 45A on generator power and the only things listed on PCS when scrolling are the 3 ACs....no other power users are listed.
That is the same thing on our late 2017 RW427.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Smitty325

Generator breaker failed

2017 RW427, decided to activate generator, in order to run two a.c. units in the heat of the day. Disconnected shore power, started generator. Power management advised to let gen run, so about three minutes later started front a.c.. after a few minutes attempted to start rear a.c. unit. It did not act like it was going to start, but I will never know. Wife tossed popcorn in the microwave, and poof...zero amps from gen. Called the on call tech and he guided me to the Cummins 5.5kw, where one of the 2 30amp breakers tripped. It would not reset. I hoped after it cooled down it would reset, but no go. Well, I am back home now and wondering if this is simply a defective breaker, perhaps I can replace it, it does seem to be a module, not a snap in breaker. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: