Sundance 278TS LXT Slide out seal

Bonanza53

We have a problem with the seal that is underneath the big slide-out side of our Sundance. Here's what happens....when we slide it in and travel in rainy weather, the carpet is soaking wet when we arrive to our destination. We noticed that when we retract it the long rubber seal wants to curl under the slide and that allows any road water to come in . When we brought it to the dealership's attention where we purchased our 5th wheel they said it is something that happens and they all do it. :confused: Anyone else out there having this problem? Anyone have any solutions?

Bgthomas

I would find that an unacceptable answer. Perhaps this is true, but do all slide seals leak? Mine neither curl, nor leak. You might try some seal conditioner.

danemayer

Hi Bonanza53,

Does the seal flip the other way when pushing the slide out? If so, maybe try closing it, then reopen it far enough to flip it, then close again.

Just a wild shot in the dark. But probably easy to test.

mlpeloquin

We do not have any problems with our slides on out Big Horn. It is not hear at the house to look at, but what you are talking about is the wiper seal. The top, sides, and bottom have wiper seals. Then there are the top, and side seals when the slide is shut. I believe the wiper seals are to keep the weather out when opened. The top and side seals keep the weather out when the slide is closed. If a top or side seal has a leak, then water can get into the ceiling, walls, and floor. You may be looking at the wrong source for your water intrusion. Look for gaps and hairline cracks in the adhesive the holds the side and top seals on. Make sure your slide roof has no gaps or cracks in it. -- Not to be puny, but then again I may be all wet. I hope someone who may have had this problem chimes in. Until then check the slide roof seals and slide sides for gaps where water could get in. I do not remember if there is another exterior seal on the bottom of the slide like the top and sides.

mlburst1

We have had the same problem with our Sundance since it was new - the carpet edge under the slide was wet from front to rear when we drove in the rain.

Our local RV dealer (not a Sundance dealer but sold other Heartland products) adjusted the slide with no change in the wet carpet.

The mechanic then told us to blot the carpet when wet with a dry paper towel - if it was dirty water it meant it was coming from road spray below - if clean, the front slide seal was the culprit.

The paper towel was clean when blotting the carpet so we took it back and had the front slide seal replaced.

Now only about the front six inches of carpet get wet when when we drive in the rain so the slide probably needs a slight adjustment - I'll mention it the next time we have it in for repair.

Bonanza53

Here is the latest update on my original thread. We called Heartland and talked to the most helpful guy that said that our problem is definitely not normal. He instructed us to take it back to the dealership and have the dealership send Heartland photos of our slide seal problem. He said that Hearland would work with the dealer on a solution. We have done as instructed and our Sundance sits at the dealership as I write this update. We will post the results when we get our trailer back as to what the solution was. (If there is a solution.)

Bonanza53

Problem Resolved!!!:eek: Our leaky seal problem is no more! Holman Motors (Batavia, OH) did everything requested and found that the seal had been incorrectly installed from the factory. After sending pictures to Heartland, they were authorized to replace all the seals correctly. You can visually see the difference. So the moral of the story is call Heartland and talk to someone directly about your problem because they are great for giving advice on your options. We are happy campers! And I do have to put in a plug for Holman Motors for their great customer service.