Sundance Low Temperature Limitation

jcarnevale

What is the factory temperature limitation on a 2011 3300RLB ?

I see in the 2011 brochure that they are tested to 0 degrees, but what temperature can they safely go down to without adding any additional precautions (besides running the heater 24/7).

Will it provide protection from freezing down to about +15°F to +20 °F (-9°C to -6°C) ?

Thanks,

Jay

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Jay do you have external valves and drain plumbing? I do and had to heat tape the outside piping. We travel in the winter with temps as low as 5 degrees without issues. (heater set @ 40deg)

grizzlygiant

I really don't know what the "tested to 0 degrees" means. We live in our Sundasnce year round which means a number of months with near zero temperatures. When very cold (10 degrees and less) underfloor waste lines freeze, water to the kitchen and bath sink also freeze. We put a skirt around the perimeter and a salamander heater is used in extreme conditions. Heartland could do a much better job in placement/insulating/heating of underfloor piping at little cost. I probably will drop the underflooor cover and make some alterations.

jcarnevale

Jay do you have external valves and drain plumbing? I do and had to heat tape the outside piping. We travel in the winter with temps as low as 5 degrees without issues. (heater set @ 40deg)

The only plumbing hanging below the bottom cover are: the fresh water drain line (seen in pic below), the hot and cold water low point drain lines, and the waste drain pipes (black and two gray tanks). The valves for the black and two gray tanks are above inside the bottom cover and are not directly exposed to the elements. The three water drain lines have water in them and the little thumb valve is exposed.

Jay

010.jpg

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I really don't know what the "tested to 0 degrees" means. We live in our Sundasnce year round which means a number of months with near zero temperatures. When very cold (10 degrees and less) underfloor waste lines freeze, water to the kitchen and bath sink also freeze. We put a skirt around the perimeter and a salamander heater is used in extreme conditions. Heartland could do a much better job in placement/insulating/heating of underfloor piping at little cost. I probably will drop the underflooor cover and make some alterations.

So you maintain above 60 degrees temps inside and your lines still freeze? I still think for $21K my Sundance is the best RV out there for the money.

D

Dave Willis

We have only tested the inside of the units. We don't know exactly how cold the tanks can go but I've seen on the Forum that they can go well below freezing before having a problems.

Thanks,

grizzlygiant

So you maintain above 60 degrees temps inside and your lines still freeze? I still think for $21K my Sundance is the best RV out there for the money.

It makes a difference wheather you use electric heaters or the gas furnace to maintain inside temperature. Using onlu electric heat you don't get any heat in the basement......but even using the furnace underfloor water and waste lines WILL freeze.

I AGREE, FOR THE MONEY SUNDANCE IS A WINNER.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
It makes a difference wheather you use electric heaters or the gas furnace to maintain inside temperature. Using onlu electric heat you don't get any heat in the basement......but even using the furnace underfloor water and waste lines WILL freeze.

I AGREE, FOR THE MONEY SUNDANCE IS A WINNER.
There is a way to allow the electric heat to maintain the underbelly temps automatically. I bought a 12/120 volt 20 amp inline thermostat to control the forced air fan only on the furnace. Also added a switch to control the heat sources Gas/Electric.

Attachments

• EleStat.JPG
    EleStat.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 34
  • GasElec2.JPG
    GasElec2.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 35
  • PICT0069.JPG
    PICT0069.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 29
  • EleHeat.jpg
    EleHeat.jpg