Superglide - What not to do

DuaneG

I love the sulerglide hitch, but never paid attention to the mechanical parts. When I bought it they added a capture plate over the original and screwed it in place. Once it was on I I forgot about it. I took the fifth wheel to the dealer for a repair and picked it up when finished. I drove off all happy and heard a loud crash. I looked over my shoulder and saw my fifth wheel pin box slamming into my tailgate. Well I figured out the capture plate has extra parts that are pushed when turning that allow the hitch to slide away from the truck cab. And if that's not there it will just go straight back as mine did destroying the tailgate.

Well the dealer took the plate off and forgot to put it back before letting me go. They did admit fault and bought me a new tailgate, so it worked out.

Just wanted to make sure any newbies were aware of what could happen if the plate is not installed.

And now I check that every time I hook up.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359598919074.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359598919074.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 358
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359598941084.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359598941084.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 375

porthole

Retired
Ouch. Nice that the dealer stepped up though.

I had a Superglide with the previous truck and had the first plate (prototype) made for a MOR/ryde hitch.
My plan was to figure out a way to put brackets on the hitch and eliminate the plate.
While discussing this with PullRite I inquired about a way to lock the hitch in case I had to tow a trailer without the plate. Thye had no inclination to come up with a hitch head lock. I wanted to lock the head for just the reason you experienced.

rjr6150

Had almost the same thing happen with our first BH. Had it to the dealer for service and for some reason they removed the capture plate and forgot to replace. Something didn't look right when went to hook up and sure enough they had forgotten to replace it.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I still have a 24k SuperGlide (the big one) in the other truck but we had that problem as well, dealer didn't install the adaptor plate and well you see what happens when things aren't installed correctly.

I ended up buying a kingpin extension and welded the super glide adaptor to the extension, if I was towing the trailer I used the extender, if I needed someone else to tow it I could drop the extension off.

Also Porthole, I looked for the same thing you mentioned, a way to lock the slide and I'm wanting to say I found someone that made a locking mechanism but Pullrite couldn't understand why I would buy their hitch and want to use it in a way other than they designed it. So no help from them and then I forgot where I had found the person that made a lock.

ncrzrbk

I have the 18k superglide. After taking the camper out to storage, the plate fell off. The dealer didn't use any lock nuts on the tightening screw. Almost hit the wife in the foot after unhooking. Good to see the dealer replace the tailgate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Do they pull the adapter plate off so they can move the trailers with a Fork Lift? I am assuming the adapter plate has little ears that protrude down to capture the head of the slider. With the ears protruding down that may interfere with the make shift hitch used on a Fork Lift. Just guessing here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

porthole

Retired
The adapter plate on a MOR/ryde hitch would not interfere with a fork lift operation. But it will not work with a standard hitch head because of teh index box welded on behind the pin

rjr6150

Do they pull the adapter plate off so they can move the trailers with a Fork Lift? I am assuming the adapter plate has little ears that protrude down to capture the head of the slider. With the ears protruding down that may interfere with the make shift hitch used on a Fork Lift. Just guessing here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

That is the reason they pulled mine

DuaneG

The forklift can pull it around fine. They had to take it for a road test and their truck did not have the adapter.

ncrzrbk

Because of this thread, while picking up my Sundance for minor repairs, the dealer took my adaptor plate off. It was the first thing I looked for before I hitched up. My plate was on the shop floor. They reinstalled it and off I went. I hate others bad experiences but this thread probably saved me a few headaches.

VAbow

What style of adaptor plate do y'all have? I have an older one from my old raptor that has a single bolt that screws at the front end. I have some shifting of the plate, about 1/2 inch from side to side. Doesnt seem to bother anything but just want to check here. I need to check to see if there is a new model for the heatland that might work better.

jnbhobe

If any one is looking for a Superglide hitch I have one with a set of Ford hidden rails I will bring to Goshen to sell, I also have Triglide adapters.

ncrzrbk

I have the universal adaptor plate with the shims on the sides set screws. It has the single set screw at the kingpin. I had the 1/4 bolt taken out and redrilled with a larger bolt. The 1/4" bolt bent after falling off. Since putting larger bolt I have not had that problem.

DuaneG

I got the one made for my truck and not the universal one. It does just have the one large screw holding it on. Since the incident the internal locking mechanism has jammed or came loose three times not allowing me to open the tailgate.

I have learned how to make the repair now, but it really sucked when I had to take the trailer somewhere and the tailgate was jammed closed and would not snatch.

I am glad someone was at least able to notice their capture plate was missing before going through what I had to. I have OCD when it comes to checking the connections now. I am so paranoid the trailer is going to slide right off the truck everytime I take it out.

ncrzrbk

I try keep WD 40 on all my moving parts to keep the mechanism working properly. I keep reading the manual making sure I am following Pullrite's guidelines. So far, the adaptor plate falling off is the only problem I have. When not towing, mine stays in the truck under a bed cover. It helps keep it out of the elements. Our first trips out so far this year have been in the rain. So during the trips I use WD 40 to keep all lubricated.

jcrayford

I try keep WD 40 on all my moving parts to keep the mechanism working properly. I keep reading the manual making sure I am following Pullrite's guidelines. So far, the adaptor plate falling off is the only problem I have. When not towing, mine stays in the truck under a bed cover. It helps keep it out of the elements. Our first trips out so far this year have been in the rain. So during the trips I use WD 40 to keep all lubricated.

Yep, that's what I do as well. Lube with WD-40 (cleaning everything with dry paper towel first) and then apply a light film of WD.

Also keep the hitch (when installed in the truck) under a tonneau cover and out of sight/elements.

J.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HOOKERUP

Hello.. I also use the plate with the single bolt in front.It does loosen up.Always check when you uncouple.I found that the plastic block will not stay tight with the king pin shroud,but i dont want to cut shroud.

DuaneG

I just cut the shroud so it would fit better.

Sent from my cell phone. Please forgive typos and spelling errors.