Surge Guard Power Monitors/Circuit Analyzer

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The remote display for the hardwired Progressive unit is physically connected to the unit via a telephone style cable. So it is not possible to retrofit an external portable unit.

SilverRhino

Here are some pics of what I did. I have been very happy with this unit. I know it works because it has shut down our rig when voltage got too low. It also showed me when a plug had the neutral and ground backwards. I alerted the people at the campground and they came right out to fix it. I also built the tester that TXBobcat linked to. I have to say that after having owned 5 other trailers this is the first trailer we have had this type of protection and I don't know why I didn't have it before. All is good now.

Mark

Mark;
I like the way that you mounted your Surge Guard in a readily accessible spot. When you did that, was there enough original power cord to do that or did you have to add on??? What gauge wire did you use to connect everything??

Nice post...very neat install!

Thanks;
Randy

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Randy,
It has been so long ago but I do believe there was enough original cord to get it to the surge protector. As for the gauge of wire, I believe it is 8 gauge but look at your 50 amp cord and it will say what size wire it is and that is what I used.

Good luck,
Mark

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Randy, when I installed my Progressive EMS, I bought five feet of cable. My thought being that if I cut and splice into the origional cable and sell the coach it would be a problem taking the EMS with me. So for a few bucks, I bought #6-3 w/ground cable at my local hardware store and did not cut the origional cable. In fact it was even the same brand as the OEM.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

The cable in the belly from the shore connector to the breaker box for 50A rigs is #6. The 30A rigs are probably #8.

Pizzaguy

Nice install of the Surgeguard mrcomer.I have the same one to install this spring on our BH 3610RE. Did you ever find any end caps to cover those connections?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Nice install of the Surgeguard mrcomer.I have the same one to install this spring on our BH 3610RE. Did you ever find any end caps to cover those connections?

Not yet. My plan was to build something out of wood and cover it with fabric but honestly I keep forgetting about it. Thank you for reminding me. Should do it now while it is too cold out to camp.

Mark

SilverRhino

I really thought that the tester that was posted was a great idea.

While I was looking at it...DW was looking over my shoulder and wanted to know if I didn't already have something that would do the same thing. Ok....like jimtoo said.."neat but one more thing to carry".

So I already have a multi-meter in the tool box so I guess I can check with that. Just to be sure I know what I am doing...if I put the meter across one of the hot slots ( left or right side ) and the neutral slot ( bottom ), I should get a reading of 120 volts. If I put the meter across the two hot slots ( left & right ) I should get 240 volts.

Just want to check power at the "post" when I pull into a stall.

JohnDar

I really thought that the tester that was posted was a great idea.

While I was looking at it...DW was looking over my shoulder and wanted to know if I didn't already have something that would do the same thing. Ok....like jimtoo said.."neat but one more thing to carry".

So I already have a multi-meter in the tool box so I guess I can check with that. Just to be sure I know what I am doing...if I put the meter across one of the hot slots ( left or right side ) and the neutral slot ( bottom ), I should get a reading of 120 volts. If I put the meter across the two hot slots ( left & right ) I should get 240 volts.

Just want to check power at the "post" when I pull into a stall.

That or sudden hair growth :eek:.

After looking at Mark's install, again, it looks like one other advantage to the Progressive hardwire w/remote unit is that the connections are made under the removable cover and the cables are secured by the wire clamps on the outside. Disadvantage is that making the connections is in very close quarters and you have to place the mini-ammeters over the two hot wires inside the housing. And short sections of #6 wire is not the most flexible stuff around. But, once done, it's fully enclosed and you have no need to be able to see the unit, itself.

Jim-n-Leslie

SueJean -
Don't know if you are still looking since your post was 5 days ago, but I did purchase a SurgeGuard Plus Model 40240. I had it installed behind the wall just inside the main entrance to my BH (behind the little coat closet, if you can call a 3" deep closet a coat closet) by Chesapeake RV Solutions who I ordered it through. Inside the coat closet is the digital read-out. It provides ample protection for surge, miss-wired outlets, etc. As others who posted have stated, I am a believer in the insurance protection it provides. You never know what kind of electrical maintenance an RV park observes, and it cost a lot less than the repairs throughout a trailer one could potentially experience. Take care!
Jim

SueJean

Thanks Jim!

I'm definitely going to make a purchase here. Being in the karaoke/music business, we can't afford to be "frying" any of our equipment let alone our "house". It's just a matter of waiting for "upgrade" to fit into the budget. This month has been "maintenance" and last month was "repair". The surge protector should be next on our list.

I appreciate all the feedback that comes through this forum. It sure helps to have all of you guys out here to bounce this stuff off of. This is the first place I turn to when I've got a question and somebody always comes through with good advice.

Blessings,

SueJean

SueJean

I bought the Progressive model at $100. I'm sure the more expensive versions are better in terms of "bells and whistles", but the budget only s t r e t c h e s so far these days. I do understand the implications of hi/low voltage, but we must make choices.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions!