Surge Guard

Routemaster

My Surge Guard has developed a loud-ish hummmm is it time to retire her or is there something that can be done? ear plugs help at nite.

Attachments

• Surge Guard.JPG
    Surge Guard.JPG
    947.3 KB · Views: 47

6.7LMegaCab

Check to make sure both of the lines coming in are putting out the proper voltage. In a two year period I replaced the ATS in my fifth wheel thinking one side was going bad as one would either disconnect, chatter, or buzz. Determined the root cause was a loose neutral at the utility pole causing the voltage on one leg to drop to 107 V. Power company fixed it. After getting a new ATS under warranty, I opted to instead install a Blue Sea Systems manual transfer switch. I don't have a need to ensure 100% always available power, however, I did install a pure sine wave inverter with a transfer switch so at the very least, certain devices in the bedroom can seamlessly switch between shore/Gen or battery.

That's been my experience. Sure, an ATS is nice, but in my case, it seemed more problematic than it was worth. I think it was rated to transfer down to 100 volts but never could hold it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Routemaster

I just found a fried white wire in the Surge Guard. Why would this happen considering we have been sat here for three years no movement.
Den.

Dahillbilly

I just found a fried white wire in the Surge Guard. Why would this happen considering we have been sat here for three years no movement.
Den.
loose connection will cause overheating & higher amp drawn. Another cause could be over voltage issue.

Routemaster

Here is a picture of the transfer switch in the coach I see that the house wires in the box come out of the right hand relay and in the new one it shows to place them so as to be installed out of the GEN side was this unit installed wrong from new? The right hand relay wire hold down screw have a sealant across the top another thing they now have grub screws so as to use a Allan key.

Attachments

• Transfer box 7232024.JPG
    Transfer box 7232024.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

Routemaster

I see the Southwire company recommends mounting this unit any way but label facing sky wards and what have done exactly that, how are yours mounted? No wall close.
Den.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have 2 mounted on the floor side by side going on 9 years now. I believe your issue happened from a loose wire. Years ago mine was humming and I went in and tightened things up and the humming stopped.

Routemaster

Hey Jess. I just now installed a new one today on the floor, like you say its been there for 7 years new one it should be fine I have one problem now screwed the lid down wont go down and everything went out two red flashing lights came on what now?lid off and she works ok.
Den.

david-steph2018

Hey Jess. I just now installed a new one today on the floor, like you say its been there for 7 years new one it should be fine I have one problem now screwed the lid down wont go down and everything went out two red flashing lights came on what now?lid off and she works ok.
Den.
How much extra wiring is in the switch?

Routemaster

Cricket's. Here is what I found the FAQ on there web page it states there every way but label up to the sky. I just had a PCI a couple days ago, now got a chance to check why I am not seeing why the lid is not going without shutting off the power I thought at first the coil/relay were taller but not so I placed spacer under the lid fixed it.
Dave not seeing extra wiring there could be a another circuit board in there tho.
Hey Jess you said you have two of the ATS's side by side could I do as my sketch to bring in my Magnum into the works for three inputs?
Cheers Den.

Attachments

• Surge Guard FAQ.jpg
    Surge Guard FAQ.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • My second ats.jpg
    My second ats.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Cricket's. Here is what I found the FAQ on there web page it states there every way but label up to the sky. I just had a PCI a couple days ago, now got a chance to check why I am not seeing why the lid is not going without shutting off the power I thought at first the coil/relay were taller but not so I placed spacer under the lid fixed it.
Dave not seeing extra wiring there could be a another circuit board in there tho.
Hey Jess you said you have two of the ATS's side by side could I do as my sketch to bring in my Magnum into the works for three inputs?
Cheers Den.
Yes that will work like your diagram. I wired my Convertors 110 plug into the first Transfer switch so it will only charge when on Shore power or Gen power. So it will not work while on Inverter power.
I'm trying to find pictures of mine.

Routemaster

Hey Jess. Since I drew that up someone said to me that the Magnum should go into the gen side I guess there are different schools of thought on that.
Den.

david-steph2018

I have been told Inverter goes to the gen side treating the inverter as a gen.
With your setup now, just 1 transfer switch. If you start the generator, will it start supplying power and turn the shore power off? If it does, will you need to connect the inverter to the shore power side instead of generator side? Please let me know, I could be all wrong on this.