Surge protector monitor

brianharrison

The Progressive has an optional 1 or 2 remote display with a bypass switch that will bypass the unit for external issues.

Jon,

Simple fix for this and still using the EMS to protect the trailer.

Take a male 15 amp replacement plug, jump the neutral and ground together and plug it into the unused 15 amp receptacle on the Honda.

I found this out while trying to run my house hot water heater during Sandy. It would light off but not keep running (forced draft).
Found the open ground on Google, jumped it and we had hot water at least.

Tried it on the Cyclone and it works there too.

Duane and Jon,

I am sure you are aware of the ramifications of this manual bonding of neutral and ground, but for others - BEWARE - if there is a fault in the trailer and neutral throws 120 to ground - unless the generator is physically grounded to a driven stake - you could have 120V potential and the corresponding current impressed on the trailer frame; you may run the risk of YOU being the ground and being electrocuted once you make that connection from trailer to ground - ie stepping outside or touching the outside of the trailer.

For that reason - I choose to bypass the EMS when I run my generator - I disable the EMS but maintain the surge in this bypass mode. Not an issue when running on my portable, floating neutral generator (or any other gen, IMHO).

Others more knowledgeable (Mike? or Bill) may chime in and add their opinions.

Brian

4ever

Hay don't misunderstand me here but I think we got off the orignal question. Please don't get made at me here. I wanted to know if anyone is using the portable Surge protectors that you plug into the electrical tower. If you use them how do you like them? I am looking at them becuase I did have a problem once with a hard mounted and if it is not in a place you can access you could be in trouble. Thought that the portable ones may have some advantages. Just wanted some opinions.

Thankls

brianharrison

Hi Ted,

My apologies for going off topic from your question. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Brian

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, to your question about accessing the unit. Initially, my dealer mounted it behind the breaker panel, which put it under a kitchen cabinet and not easily accessed. When I decided to move the converter, I also relocated the suppressor. Both are now easily accessed via a removable panel I put in the basement wall. The is nothing etched in stone that it needs to be hidden behind the breaker panel or any other inaccessible location.

jimtoo

Hi 4ever,

I use the Progressive Portable Surge guard. Easy to plug in before you set up if maybe in an old park or even a newer has problems at time. It has saved me a couple of times by turning the power off due to a surge and once because of low voltage on one leg.

Jim M

porthole

Retired
Hay don't misunderstand me here but I think we got off the original question.

Ah yup - that's what we do here - but in our defense - you went the portable questioning on your fourth post - so you hijacked you own thread :cool:

But back on track, hard wired - it is always there
Portable - just that one time you get kinda lazy and don't pull it out of the bin and hook it up

Or - someone decides they need it more then you.

wdk450

Reading subsequent posts, I realize that this is off of the original thread question, but I think it would be enlightening for all to ask this question: On the factory-installed Onan generator is the neutral bonded to ground or not???

Duane and Jon,

I am sure you are aware of the ramifications of this manual bonding of neutral and ground, but for others - BEWARE - if there is a fault in the trailer and neutral throws 120 to ground - unless the generator is physically grounded to a driven stake - you could have 120V potential and the corresponding current impressed on the trailer frame; you may run the risk of YOU being the ground and being electrocuted once you make that connection from trailer to ground - ie stepping outside or touching the outside of the trailer.

For that reason - I choose to bypass the EMS when I run my generator - I disable the EMS but maintain the surge in this bypass mode. Not an issue when running on my portable, floating neutral generator (or any other gen, IMHO).

Others more knowledgeable (Mike? or Bill) may chime in and add their opinions.

Brian

brianharrison

Reading subsequent posts, I realize that this is off of the original thread question, but I think it would be enlightening for all to ask this question: On the factory-installed Onan generator is the neutral bonded to ground or not???

Yes - the factory installed Onan has the neutral bonded to the ground. See this install schematic on Page 5-2. As I read the document I believe it also has GFCI breakers in the unit. Bill PM if you wish more info - I have lots in my files.

Brian

wdk450

Yes - the factory installed Onan has the neutral bonded to the ground. See this install schematic on Page 5-2. As I read the document I believe it also has GFCI breakers in the unit. Bill PM if you wish more info - I have lots in my files.

Brian

Brian:
Thanks for that info. I asked because a former poster on this thread suggested NOT bonding neutral to ground in the portable generators unless you have pounded in a grounding rod and wired that to the trailer's frame. So it looks to me that Heartland/Onan do NOT follow that advice with their built-in generators. No flame intended toward anyone, I am just trying to get the best answers, and share them with everyone reading this thread.

I like the idea of GFI protection at the power source (generator). Eliminating problems/hazards at the source is good engineering practice. Many years ago when GFI's were new, I built my own portable GFI in a metal wallbox on a short power cord to use with extension cords I use outside with my all-electric yard care equipment. I am still using that today, and it has tripped once or twice over the years, maybe saving me a shock. I think I will look into making a similar device to plug into the 30 amp RV outlet on my portable generator.

brianharrison

Brian:
Thanks for that info. I asked because a former poster on this thread suggested NOT bonding neutral to ground in the portable generators unless you have pounded in a grounding rod and wired that to the trailer's frame. So it looks to me that Heartland/Onan do NOT follow that advice with their built-in generators. No flame intended toward anyone, I am just trying to get the best answers, and share them with everyone reading this thread.

I like the idea of GFI protection at the power source (generator). Eliminating problems/hazards at the source is good engineering practice. Many years ago when GFI's were new, I built my own portable GFI in a metal wallbox on a short power cord to use with extension cords I use outside with my all-electric yard care equipment. I am still using that today, and it has tripped once or twice over the years, maybe saving me a shock. I think I will look into making a similar device to plug into the 30 amp RV outlet on my portable generator.

That former poster was me. Succinctly - I would say - For the people reading this thread - Use the portable generator the way it was provided and configured by the manufacturer (Honda/Yamaha/Onan) and HL for the built in Onan. Modifying neutral/ground bonding by the end user should ONLY be done when consequences are fully understood.

Brian