surging noise from hydraulic brake actuator

tdp100508

I have a new 2018 Landmark 365 Newport with disc brakes. When parked and no braking is being applied from the tow vehicle, the Dexter Electrically Controlled Hydraulic Brake Activation device make a surging sound. I sounds like it is trying to pump intermittently. The trailer brakes work fine but seem to have a slight lag. I am thinking the lines have air in them and need to be bled? Has anyone experienced this?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I do remember someone with the same issue not too long ago. Hopefully they'll read this soon and have your answer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

If the brake actuator in the trailer is energizing, it must be getting power when it's not supposed to. Power comes through the umbilical from the truck, and from the breakaway switch. I'd check the breakaway switch in the pinbox first, and the junction box behind the pin seconds, and the umbilical connector third.

hoefler

You didn't mention what tow vehicle you have, GM and some model year Fords require an module to make the factory controler compatible with the brake pump.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Titan/T4845900.html

[FONT=&quot]Titan BrakeRite SD Adapter for Ford/Chevy Integral Brake Controllers

Titan_left.gif

(4 reviews)

Code: T4845900
Our Price: $86.81
In Stock.

• Accessories and Parts
  • Trailer Brakes
  • Electric-Hydraulic Brake Actuator Parts

• Adapters
  • Titan

Use Titan's BrakeRite II SD (Severe-Duty) actuating system with your factory Ford (model years 2006.5 - 2012) or Chevy (model years 2006.5 - current) brake controller by installing this convenient adapter.

[/FONT]

tdp100508

You didn't mention what tow vehicle you have, GM and some model year Fords require an module to make the factory controler compatible with the brake pump.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Titan/T4845900.html

Titan BrakeRite SD Adapter for Ford/Chevy Integral Brake Controllers

Titan_left.gif

(4 reviews)

Code: T4845900
Our Price: $86.81
In Stock.

• Accessories and Parts
  • Trailer Brakes
  • Electric-Hydraulic Brake Actuator Parts

• Adapters
  • Titan

Use Titan's BrakeRite II SD (Severe-Duty) actuating system with your factory Ford (model years 2006.5 - 2012) or Chevy (model years 2006.5 - current) brake controller by installing this convenient adapter.

I have a 2017 Ram 3500 DRW diesel

tdp100508

I have determined that the tow vehicle's integrated brake controller was on the incorrect setting. My fault for not reading the setup for the trailer brake settings. Being a newbie I am still learning.

tdp100508

I found that the trailer wiring was done incorrect in the junction box behind the pin box. The blue wire in the trailer cord was wired to the breakaway switch rather than to the actuator pump like it should have been. Rewired and now works like it should.