Surprise Guest

pegmikef

So I go down to the lake to check over my boat since after two days of rain our lake went from almost dry to overflowing its capacity. Imagine my surprise when I found that the rains had also brought be a surprise guest.

Attachments

• guest1.JPG
    guest1.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 208
  • guest2.JPG
    guest2.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 184
  • guest3.JPG
    guest3.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 174

jayc

Legendary Member
I don't think its a moccasin, no triangular head. I hate snakes and this is the best way to see one, by a photograph!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Is this the typical size of your snakes? If so, we will not be coming to your house! That is a big snake!

Kristy

olcoon

Jay,
I thought you used to be a snake charmer...or were those lounge lizards you used to charm?

I agree though head isn't triangular, so it's non-poisonous.

scottyb

The shape of head and his build looks more like a bull snake. Non venomous but will make you hurt yourself.

pegmikef

Yeah....that's why I HATE surprises!!!!

Is that a chicken snake? Or is it a water moccasin. Can't tell from the pix.

The best I can figure is that it is some kind of chicken/rat snake. I have never seen this partidular color pattern, but they come in a variety of patterns. It is not a pit viper as Jay pointed out so it can't be a moccasin (and the coloring is wrong). The coloring is also wrong for a typical water snake, so I am guessing some variety of chicken or rat snake that was washed in by the rushing water. It hung on the boat for a while and then slithered down one of the poles and swam off towards the reeds at the end of the cove.