Suspension Maintenance and Improvements - My 2011 Landmark GC

brianharrison

Brian:
How did the OEM shackle links look? I know the (thin) originals tend to get elongated bolt holes with wear loading, and they aren't protected by bushings. Lippert, MorRyde and Dexter all sell heavy duty shackles (thicker than OEM), usually with a bushing wet bolt kit, so I guess they all think this is needed.
I wonder why they don't put bushings in the shackle links, as they support as much weight and swivel about, as much as the equalizers and spring ends.

Bill, the original shackle links were good with no elongation of the holes, the knurled bolts were still tight in the link holding the bolt firm. The whole bolt assembly moves in sync with the shackle (no bolt turning in the shackle) and rides on the bushing in the spring eyelet or in the equalizer. I did use the never fails bushings on both mounting points for the shackle bolts.

Did I answer your question? I'm a little confused as to if the bolts turn in the shackle itself, if the knurles are still in good condition.

Brian

Attachments

• Knurled hardware.jpg
    Knurled hardware.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 40

TeJay

Willym,
In the last several years I've serviced several trailer wheel bearings. In all cases the lube used was of a lower viscosity than I used when servicing cars and trucks. As stated I believe that the regular bearing lube is thicker and would not under all conditions travel through the small hole drilled into the axle which is there to permit the grease access to the inner bearing. Some times things like dirt, moisture, clumps of stuff get in the way of the grease. Even when greasing kingpins or tie rods you couldn't get the grease to enter. To reduce the chances of blocked passages the lube they recommend is of a lower viscosity. If you used say Amzoil synthetic grease it would be very difficult to get the grease to flow through the hole all the way back to the inner bearing. It's a better grease by far but if it does not get there it's not much good. So they recommend the lower viscosity grease.
I remember trying to grease some vehicles with an air powered grease gun. When that zerk is plugged, or the kingpin has not been greased for a long time, you have to really press hard on the grease gun and even then the grease will squirt out without getting past the plugged zerk fitting or into the bushing or ball joint.
Again many will not agree but just my thoughts on why and what I do.
TeJay