Switches Question

Wk15

Here are pictures of my control panel:

The RV is a 2014 3950.

I'm downloading manuals and trying to figure out what is what.

I have no idea what the White Switch ( it has two clicks when moving it up and down) goes to

or

Red Switch that glows when turned on.

I have an Atwood Water Heater, and it appears that the Hot Water Switch is already on my panel. I switch on the hot water heater switch on the panel, I go outside and hear the tank heater ticking at the hot water tank.

Thank You for your help.

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

What you do here is figure out what you do know, then go from there. I have not a clue because I don't have any of that stuff, I just felt I had to comment to give you moral support. I feel your pain though, my wife did the walkthrough, I was paying attention to something else. When finished she knew everything and I knew nothing. It took me a while to get up to speed. I'm sur eyou will have your answers soon.

hoefler

The red switch is for the electric element in the water heater, DO NOT turn it on without having water in the water heater.
The white witch is most likely for an outside outlet for awning lights.

remoandiris

The red switch is NOT the element for the water heater. The electric and gas water heater switches are identified higher up on another panel. One of the switches, likely the red one, is 110v for your black and gray tank heaters. At least that is what it is on my unit. I also have the Yeti pkg. NEVER flip the switch unless there is some water in the black and gray tanks. Supposedly the heating wire can melt the plastic tanks.

No idea what the 2-position white switch is for.

(edit: "hating" wire to "heating" wire)

Last edited:

scottyb

I assume you are referring to the two switches in the last photo, my guess is holding tank heaters. You must have the Yeti package but I don't have it on mine. All the other switches are about the same as mine.

danemayer

I'd guess the white switch turns on an outside outlet sometimes used if you hang lights on your awning.

The red switch that illuminates is tougher. Could be the tank heaters if the Yeti option is 12V DC on the water line heat tape and 110V AC on the tank heaters. Could be a 4-blade ceiling fan if you have one, although they're not usually illuminated switches. Could be a remote switch for the inverter, if you have the residential refrigerator option, although in other models a different type of switch is used. Any chance you have 3 air conditioners? Maybe the switch that transfers power between 2 of the units.

pcardoza

The white switch in the last photo is Air conditioner selector switch. Do you have 3 rooftop units? On our 4100 King, it came wired as follows:

Switch Down - Rear & Center
Switch Up - Rear & Bedroom
Switch Center - Rear Only

My dealer rewired it for me, so that I can run the Bedroom and Center together in the UP position, which makes a hole lot more sense in my opinion.

porthole

Retired
I guess we will never see an all in one panel correctly labeled even though the capability has been there for years.

My 1980 boat has a combination AC DC panel with every possible option availbe in the panel. Plus room to add additional items as needed.

Granted, this is overkill, but since the panels are just CNC'd plastic - why not?

AC-DC panel.jpg

Wk15

The light switch next to the “Retract Extend Awning” is for the LED Lights in the Awning.
There are no ceiling fans in this Rig.
The Hot water tank is full of water along with the Fresh Water Tank.
I do have a Full Refer in the back that came with the RV but the Refer came right on when I plugged into Shore Power.
Remoandiris: This is very good information ” One of the switches, likely the red one, is 110v for your black and gray tank heaters. At least that is what it is on my unit. I also have the Yeti pkg. NEVER flip the switch unless there is some water in the black and gray tanks. Supposedly the hating wire can melt the plastic tanks.”

Pcardoza: This is very good information The white switch in the last photo is Air conditioner selector switch. Do you have 3 rooftop units? On our 4100 King, it came wired as follows:

Switch Down - Rear & Center
Switch Up - Rear & Bedroom
Switch Center - Rear Only

Sir, I do have 3 rooftop AC units

Porthole: that would be very nice to have in our rigs. It would make life a whole lot easier.

Gentlemen thank you for your help with this.

When I get home from work this evening I will into the White AC Selector Switch.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I guess we will never see an all in one panel correctly labeled even though the capability has been there for years.

My 1980 boat has a combination AC DC panel with every possible option availbe in the panel. Plus room to add additional items as needed.

Granted, this is overkill, but since the panels are just CNC'd plastic - why not?

View attachment 30352

Duane,

There you go again ... Dreaming about doing it complete, clear and concise...

BTW - that looks Awesome - I see a project in the future.

Ladiver

I will chime in that the white switch is the A/C selector. We have 3 units and here is how ours is done.

Center - Main only
Up - Main + Garage
Down - Main + Bedroom

While I have a new hybrid inverter being installed, I have also asked to get rid of this switch. I understand you can only run 2 units while on generator, but I would really like to be able to run ANY 2 of the 3! Plus, with a hybrid inverter, I can bump up my power and allow for all three if needed. I just need to put a label that reminds someone not to run all three at the same time.

Mark-Mullin

I believe the red switch is for battery tank heaters white is for 110 volt tank heaters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dloebrich

I called the factory and they said it is for the holding tank heaters. Used with yeti package.
Here are pictures of my control panel:

The RV is a 2014 3950.

I'm downloading manuals and trying to figure out what is what.

I have no idea what the White Switch ( it has two clicks when moving it up and down) goes to

or

Red Switch that glows when turned on.

I have an Atwood Water Heater, and it appears that the Hot Water Switch is already on my panel. I switch on the hot water heater switch on the panel, I go outside and hear the tank heater ticking at the hot water tank.

Thank You for your help.

Dryer

Can anyone tell me how to check the fuel level. Is there a button or something to get the fuel gauge to register.

Mizmary

For the generator? You push the button next to the gauge up or down depending on what tank you want to check. If you're talking about the propane.... That's a whole different ball game.

nilsonjw

Hi new to camping. Dod you know where I can find the battery disconnect switch?? My camper want run on battery power.

jimtoo

Hi nilsonjw,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

First you need to tell us what unit you have and model. There is probably not a disconnect switch, but maybe a main circuit breaker or fuse that you need to locate which is normally near the battery. Make sure your battery is charged first, because if the unit has been setting for a while and not plugged in a parasite drain that is normal may have discharged the battery.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M