Synthetic Oil

donr827

I change my oil every 5,000 miles on every truck I owned...use Shell Rotella and never had a reason to pay higher prices for synthetic oil just to go longer between oil changes. Ram book states every 7500 miles, but why? I just don't see the reason for changing over to synthetic when the cost for an oil change is much cheaper than trying to push a few more miles. It will not prolong your diesel life any longer than a few more oil changes....just my opinion and that of my dealer as well. Since my truck is deleted, my oil looks almost the same after 5,000 miles as when it was first changed....the egr isn't stuffing the oil full of pollutants....if you are not deleted, look at your oil and then decide if you want to push the miles on that black tar that is flowing out on an oil change.

X2
Don

porthole

Retired
Stratapore bypass filter or Mopar bypass filter

I looked into the stratapore after you first mentioned it. Looks like a winner of filters, but only for the Cummins. I contacted Cummins Filtration and received the reply that they have no plans to open up the market to other brands.

oldfitter

Another one for Valvoline true blue semi-synthetic. I buy it buy the case when NAPA has it on sale. The heavier weight oil as we are now spending our winters in Florida. I am on my third diesel and only use synthetic now.