Taking a truck survey!

LBR

Oh boy...a truck survey!

I love my Ford DRW even tho it was a later year 2003 6.0 with 4.88 gears...the truck chassis and suspension is bulletproof, but we all are aware of 6.0 idiosyncrasies.

Hopefully in 2 years we will move higher up the scale to a M2 Freightliner.... is our hopes at this time.

farside291

Ok, towed with the new Ram and the BC, Wow, what a difference. I can actually accelerate going up a grade with the trailer in tow. It is also nice to be able to hear the radio again while going 65mph towing. Never realized how noisy my Duramax was with the Banks exhaust. No mods required for the Ram, very happy with plenty of extra power. With 400 miles on the odometer I netted 9.4 mpg at 65 - 68 mph. 1400 miles on the odometer and netted 10.2 at the same speed. Those are with the trailer packed for 4 adults for 40 days on the road. And just a note, 1400 miles and the DEF gauge hasn't moved.

SNOKING

Ok, towed with the new Ram and the BC, Wow, what a difference. I can actually accelerate going up a grade with the trailer in tow. It is also nice to be able to hear the radio again while going 65mph towing. Never realized how noisy my Duramax was with the Banks exhaust. No mods required for the Ram, very happy with plenty of extra power. With 400 miles on the odometer I netted 9.4 mpg at 65 - 68 mph. 1400 miles on the odometer and netted 10.2 at the same speed. Those are with the trailer packed for 4 adults for 40 days on the road. And just a note, 1400 miles and the DEF gauge hasn't moved.

Towing the DEF gauge will move. Bob tail is goes and goes! Chris

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I am averaging around 1200 miles per gallon of DEF when towing on my 16 Ram...
avg 1500 -1600 per gallon non towing.

Jim.Allison

DEF is a non factor. But I will say that I can never tell when it's going to use a bunch. I left San Antonio heading for El Paso via hwy 90. I left full of DEF. I got out to Alpine where they had a new Valero with DEF at the pump. So I decided to get some while I was there, I was sure I had used some on that very "hilly" terrain. I put the nozzle in the DEF tank and started pumping. It clicked off right away. I thought that had to be wrong, so I started pumping again! It spilled over. I was amazed at how little I used on that trip. On another trip, I used quite a bit. But all in all it is a non factor for my RAM.

ramdually4100king

I'm starting to think like the 5.9l ram guys in that I'm glad my 2009 ram does not require DEF. I'll probably run this truck until it dies on the road.

I'm currently thinking about long bedding my mega cab and putting a CM ER flatbed on with a B&W turnover companion. If I do I'll post pics towing the 4100.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We love our Ford F350 dually 6.7 L diesel. But ask 10 different people and you will get 10 different answers. I have always looked at the tow ratings to figure out what to buy. Not only is pulling power important but stopping power is also important. At 18000 you will be close to the max of a 1 ton truck and may have to move up to a F450 (4500) or even a F550 (5500). Look at the figures as they all look and ride great.

caissiel

I like my 2005 F250 with great 6.0l International not Powerstroke setup. Lost $7000 in depreciation in 10 years of ownership. Cost $2000 to bullet proof it last fall. The truck has been programed to 410 HP for 10 years and has power to spare towing our BC3500 with fantastic fuel milleage. Previously had a GM 6.5L diesel that was flawless for 9 years. Did modifications to engine controls that cost $4.00 to gain 7 mpg hiway not towing.
If only the trucks we buy and spend a fortune could be build right. No plans for an other truck in the near future with the present truck better then when it was new.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

LBR

I like my 2005 F250 with great 6.0l International not Powerstroke setup. Lost $7000 in depreciation in 10 years of ownership. Cost $2000 to bullet proof it last fall. The truck has been programed to 410 HP for 10 years and has power to spare towing our BC3500 with fantastic fuel milleage. Previously had a GM 6.5L diesel that was flawless for 9 years. Did modifications to engine controls that cost $4.00 to gain 7 mpg hiway not towing.
If only the trucks we buy and spend a fortune could be build right. No plans for an other truck in the near future with the present truck better then when it was new.

What kind of setup do you have on your 6.0 if it's not the Powerstroke?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

As a big GMC Duramax/Allison fan the new 2017 F-350 platinum has pulled me over to the dark side. I still haven't seen my new Ford yet so I can't give you my opinion yet.
The 2017 GMC are just released so I don't know how much longer you'll have to wait to drive one. If you're wanting to drive both I would definitely wait for the 2017 GM to hit the floor then go drive both the GM and Ford and see what one fits your needs.
The new Ford
440 HP
924 torque
27,500 pounds towing with fithwheel

GM
445 HP
915 torque
22,300 I think are the numbers for GM DRW

Both are perfect trucks but the Ford platinum has a lot more bells and whistles the the GMC Denali does.
Also the Ford fills the Def on the side next to the fuel filler. GM is under the hood in a horrible place.
Drive both

Good luck
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

caissiel

When I bought the truck used with 70k, I was one of the first on the Powerstroke Forum to try new method off appling the International system of cooling the engine with ELC coolant. It was the coolant International was using at the time and Ford refused to use it from day one. We were a few on line that believed it was the solution while a lot of owners were skeptic and were changing EGR coolers left and right by Ford without changing oil coolers. We had determined that the Ford yellow coolant was leaving a deposit in the oil coolers that blooked the coolant to the EGR. Ford was at the time blaming International for leaving sand in their castings. Of course International did not have the same problem so we concluded it was the coolant. I switched right away after 70 k miles but it was to late the oil cooler and EGR was blocking a bit and I elected the change the oil cooler that lasted since and still runs clean after 120k extra miles. I did do the studs and gaskets last fall as a precaution. The gaskets were good but the 2 bolts on the front driver side cylinder had stretched. I blamed it on my Hypertech programing and now she is no longer Ford or Powerstroke. She is mine, like my 98 6.5L that GM never once helped me with my fuel mileage and others pump problems. I fixed my GM by moving the pump control modual to the fender like I was told in the GM Forum. Again for the price they sell these trucks they are never right from the factory, and never supported. I also have a GM 6.2L diesel successful story. Also repaired by on line experiment.

LBR

When I bought the truck used with 70k, I was one of the first on the Powerstroke Forum to try new method off appling the International system of cooling the engine with ELC coolant. It was the coolant International was using at the time and Ford refused to use it from day one. We were a few on line that believed it was the solution while a lot of owners were skeptic and were changing EGR coolers left and right by Ford without changing oil coolers. We had determined that the Ford yellow coolant was leaving a deposit in the oil coolers that blooked the coolant to the EGR. Ford was at the time blaming International for leaving sand in their castings. Of course International did not have the same problem so we concluded it was the coolant. I switched right away after 70 k miles but it was to late the oil cooler and EGR was blocking a bit and I elected the change the oil cooler that lasted since and still runs clean after 120k extra miles. I did do the studs and gaskets last fall as a precaution. The gaskets were good but the 2 bolts on the front driver side cylinder had stretched. I blamed it on my Hypertech programing and now she is no longer Ford or Powerstroke. She is mine, like my 98 6.5L that GM never once helped me with my fuel mileage and others pump problems. I fixed my GM by moving the pump control modual to the fender like I was told in the GM Forum. Again for the price they sell these trucks they are never right from the factory, and never supported. I also have a GM 6.2L diesel successful story. Also repaired by on line experiment.

Thanx for the in-depth reply. I'm on that same site and follow some of the issues that pertain to mine, but must have missed or passed over the different coolant usage....great to know for future use!

caissiel

When the EGR cooler removed the coolant is not as important but better be safe then sorry. After 9 years the oil cooler is perfectly clean. Also the Hypertech MaxEnergy has performed very well for 9 years on level 2 with 85 HP increase. Never given any codes and without the programing the trailer realy feels heavy and the engine labours much more when towing.