Tape on top of Slide-Out

brlr2000

I was cleaning the roof today, and re-caulking parts of the roof, when I noticed that the slides have some sort of tape along the outside wall (on the roof). It's about 4 inches wide, and white in color. It's beginning to peel up in some areas. What is that tape, and what's the best way to repair it? Should I peel it off, or just tape over it...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine has done the same in spots along the edges, but since there are slide toppers over it, there's not much I need to do to it. If I were to repair it, I might just clean it, make some small slits where it's buckled to lay it flat and then Eternabond tape over it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have the same issue. I've been thinking of using that spray sealant that comes in a can but it's hard to find in white. The plan is to remove the loose edges, clean everything up and just spray over the edges and ends at the top corners of the slide room.

ParkIt

You could probably contact Heart Land and find out what they use and how its applied if you want the factory look (??), maybe a dealership might have something they use and can sell you.
Mine has done the same in spots along the edges, but since there are slide toppers over it, there's not much I need to do to it. If I were to repair it, I might just clean it, make some small slits where it's buckled to lay it flat and then Eternabond tape over it.
That is what I planned on using for the August project and have the same issue (no awning/topping covers), wouldn't it work better if it was stripped off entirely or did you find that wasn't necessary?
I have the same issue. I've been thinking of using that spray sealant that comes in a can but it's hard to find in white. The plan is to remove the loose edges, clean everything up and just spray over the edges and ends at the top corners of the slide room.
That is why I'm going to try monstaliner, it comes in all colors and is flexible enough and may last longer. It can be sprayed on but you can't buy it in a rattle can yet, what type of spray on sealant have you been looking at? Could come in handy for on the road repairs until it's shop time.

pegmikef

. . . .and then Eternabond tape over it.

They used tape on mine to bond and cover the corner splices on the plastic slide face trim and it looks and feels exactly like Eternabond. I just cut the bubble and put another piece of enternabond on it.

mlburst1

Ours curled and bubbled on all three slides causing leaks in several places. I completely removed all of the tape (time consuming but easy to do in hot weather) and installed 6" wide Eternabond Tape on each slide. I also loosened the trim pieces on the sides so that the tape is tucked under like the original was. Eternabond sells a special bonding spray that I applied before installing the new tape. It appeared that the problem was caused by improper prep work at the factory - dirt and debris wasn't cleaned off of the slide roofs before the tape was originally installed.

Ours also buckled on both slides so we had a mobile service tech check it out ( had hip replacement surgery so no going up there for me). When he started taking up the tape he found that water had gotten under the tape and the screws were shot and came off with the tape. Ended up removing all the tape and glue, replacing the screws and resealing the area. An expensive repair but hopefully fixed the leaks we have been having on both slides.

ParkIt

Ours curled and bubbled on all three slides causing leaks in several places. I completely removed all of the tape (time consuming but easy to do in hot weather) and installed 6" wide Eternabond Tape on each slide. I also loosened the trim pieces on the sides so that the tape is tucked under like the original was. Eternabond sells a special bonding spray that I applied before installing the new tape. It appeared that the problem was caused by improper prep work at the factory - dirt and debris wasn't cleaned off of the slide roofs before the tape was originally installed.
Thanks for the heads up, haven't heard mention of prepping the surface first with a bonding spray aside from general cleaning. I think the small end lifting is just a general maintenance thing considering the weather they have to withstand year round.

Anyone ever used denatured alcohol to clean the surface first? Haven't investigated that one fully but I think it would work better than other solvents???

adcock

I just spent 3 hours peeling the old tape and adhesive off my 3 year old Big Country. It was all curled up on both sides providing no protection. A local Rv dealer said their is a crappy version of this tape going around. Spent $50 on some new tape. Looks like the old curled stuff though.

Bobby A

Ditto, mine is doing the same thing, that eternabond is very expensive, I think I seen it in 6 inch width, can't remember how long it is though, it was like 80 buck !! Its on my to do list, I'm in the middle of doing a wax job currently. I think on my old SOB they just put self leveling caulk around the screw heads, it probably faster for production to use the tape though.

RoadJunkie

I caught mine peeling during warranty and also got the bad tape story. My tape was completely replaced and has held tight ever since. I think Mike, mlburst1, has the right process and you may be disappointed with patch solutions.

justafordguy

Ours was coming loose on both slides and I took it in two weeks ago to be repaired under warranty. They removed all the old tape and replaced it but it's already coming loose again. I think good prep will be the key to a lasting fix. I may just have to do it myself to make sure it's done right.

MurrayN.

I just finished the job on my Sundance. The tape had been starting to lift for a couple of years already , but on our first trip out this year our dining room slide started to leak so I had no choice but to replace it. It wasn't easy getting all of the old tape off, but I got things cleaned up pretty good, made sure it was clean and dry before putting down the new tape. I never used any surface prep product at all.

I'm on the road now so I don't have the product with me but I am pretty sure that it was Eternabond product - worked very well !! I was very happy with the end result. You better make sure that you get that stuff down in the right place the first time because it doesn't come off. I didn't lift any of my end trim , I just went over top and went down each side about 3". The tape is bright white like the walls so it is hardly noticeable. The tape I used was the 4" wide. The cost was $3.00/ ft by the foot, or $2.00/ft if you buy the 50' roll, which is what I did. Did all yhree slides right away, so I should be good for the next four years that I still have this unit.