Thank you Lippert – Service with a smile

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Cedar Creek user reply

Here is the reply I received from a Cedar Creek owner. I found his original post on their forum. His description is similar to Marv's. It also eases most of my concerns. I'll still call Trail Air Monday but more for reassurance than to schedule a return.

Ray,
The Tri Glide is wonderful. It does move back and forth, but when you are underway it is not harsh. It, sort of, glides like an old fashion porch swing. It moves like one of those “sliding gliders” that are on a frame, not a hanging porch swing. When I look at the Tri Glide, it reminds me of one of those swings, only upside down, with the frame on top and the swing underneath. While underway, it acts like a pendulum, always seeking the neutral position. When I start or stop the Tri Glide moves smoothly, it does not slam. Perhaps if I start or stop harshly, this would be different? I expected the Tri Glide to allow the 5th wheel to move back when pulling up-hill, (West Va. Mountains). It does not, it remains centered. It is actually very, very smooth. It does not remove all or 100% of the “chucking”, but it does eliminate most, maybe 80%. Be sure to keep it greased, there are 9 fittings on mine, and I have to remove the Teflon plate to grease the one fitting. They told me to add 1 pump of grease every 1,500 miles.
Hope all of this helps.

I'll be starting the install Monday AM I hope.

SmokeyBare

Ray,

Great description of how it works !!! Yes it acts much like the Glider Rocking chair... it's free floating back and forth, always coming back to Center... not restricted at all by any snug fitting "Rubbed" style feature.

I seen one on a (SOB) and the owner was describing it's action to me... but for some reason he warned me from moving it... guess he was concerned I would get my fingers pinched... (hmmmm was he a Lawyer??)

The one I did have a chance to look at was their first design... which has been improved to what is now being used... with 3 Zerk fitting caps on each side. That one I did move back and forth... it worked very smooth.

Thanks for the post.

Marv

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We'll be in there on the 30th Tom...looks like you're gonna beat us to the punch....If you feel like hanging around a little while let us know...Katie would love it!!:)

Tom of Ypsi

Kathy,

If/when we get everything done we will probably go on into Michigan and if not we will probably be here. We have a last minute family reunion on the 4th of July. For what its worth the fairgrounds are open to the public until the 12th of July then they have something going on.

SmokeyBare

Tom,

After the drive from Goshen to MarbleHead Ohio... I can recomend the Center Point Suspension system ! Keep in mind I changed over from the Mor-Ryde Rubber Equlizer System.

The TrailAir Air-Pin along with the Center Point really smoothed out the rough areas of Route 6 as I headed East into Ohio. Trailer seems to now float over the bumps compared to the harsh ride I felt before.

Good Luck with your decision on your LandMark.

Tom of Ypsi

Marv,
Thanks for the update and glad you made it safely. We have an appointment on Wed, 7am, for the level up and center point. Still thinking about the tri glide but it sounds like a very good system. Had Ron & Judy from Fl, last name escapes me for the moment, pull back into the fairgrounds today with a new trailair equa flex system. The springs are over the top of the axles and the coach looks like it is at least 3-4 inches higher. They are leaving first thing tomorrow morning but so far they like what they have.

Ray LeTourneau

Tom,

The TrailAir Air-Pin along with the Center Point really smoothed out the rough areas of Route 6 as I headed East into Ohio. Trailer seems to now float over the bumps compared to the harsh ride I felt before.

Good Luck with your decision on your LandMark.
Marv, did you get the tri-glide? I haven't called Trail-Air yet but I guess from the report I received from the Cedar Creek user, I will give it a shot. I for sure have plenty of pin weight.

SmokeyBare

Ray,

No... they did not have any Tri-Glide built and in stock at the Shop at Goshen. I was told they can ship it to a location of my choice and If I was handy with a couple wrenches I could install it with a little help. I've decided to wait for now and see how things are with what I have now... which is:
TrailAir Air-Pin... king pin system. TrailAir Center Point Suspension system.

After looking at the wear on my old suspension system... I'm more than Happy I made the switch !!

Marv

jnbhobe

I am very happy Liperet looked at every unit at the rally.But I think anyone who had work done at the factory should take the time to check the U-bolts and shackle bolts on their coach, I did mine tonight and the U-bolts were loose and the spring leafs had started to turn. Some of my wet bolts were loose or not pulled in all the way also. Its just preventative maintaince to me. JON :D :D :D

SmokeyBare

Jon
Great suggestion ! I do remember once when I had springs installed on a (SOB)... the mechanic said the very same thing... get down the road a few hundred miles and crawl under the RV and Torque the U-Bolts. He said the U-Bolts tend to stretch a little when they are brand new.

Your suggestion to do the shackles is great advice as well ! No reason to have all those new parts and hard work installing... start to work lose.

Thanks for the Reminder.

Marv

SmokeyBare

Chuck,

I've been trying to remember... so I decided to check out Dexter's web site for an Accurate answer.

They call for different torque for different diameter of bolts.

ITEM Min Max

3/8" U-Bolt 30 ft # 50 ft #
7/16" U-Bolt 45 ft # 70 ft #
1/2" U-Bolt 45 ft # 70 ft #
9/16" U-Bolt 65 ft # 90 ft #
5/8" U-Bolt 100 ft # 120 ft #

Here is their Link>

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/6-8K_Service_Manual_3-08/Suspension_Systems_2-08.pdf

Now I need to crawl under and measure the bolts and do the torque test.

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

I hope I didn't over do it on my pin box. I just did it to 160#. It has 5/8-11 (grade 5) bolts. I thought I remembered seeing that number somewhere so that's what I did. I just found this chart.

Attachments

• Bolt Torque Chart.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ray
When they came and tightened my pinbox bolts at Goshen, I asked them how much they tightened them to and they said 110# torque. I remember this because it is the same as that of the trailer lugnuts..

BC

wolfdad

Here's why Lippert is so anxious to look at axles on Heartland products. As Napoleon once said, "a picture is worth a thousand words."

Attachments

• brokenaxle_broken_rear_left_axle_102609-email.jpg
    brokenaxle_broken_rear_left_axle_102609-email.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 40
  • brokenaxle_broken_rear_left_axle_b_102609-email.jpg
    brokenaxle_broken_rear_left_axle_b_102609-email.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 38
  • brokenaxle_broken_rear_left_axle_d_102609-email.jpg
    brokenaxle_broken_rear_left_axle_d_102609-email.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 40
  • brokenaxle_broken_rear_right_axle_a_102609-email.jpg
    brokenaxle_broken_rear_right_axle_a_102609-email.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 39
  • brokenaxle_normal_front_axle_102609-email.jpg
    brokenaxle_normal_front_axle_102609-email.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 40
  • brokenaxle_broken_rear_left_axle_a_102609-email.jpg
    brokenaxle_broken_rear_left_axle_a_102609-email.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 38
  • brokenaxle_broken_rear_left_axle_c_102609-email.jpg
    brokenaxle_broken_rear_left_axle_c_102609-email.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 40

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
What brand of axle?

Wolfdad, thanks for the pictures. However, were these Lippert axles? After the Goshen rally, I had to have my springs, axles, shackles and u-bolts replaced. The axles that were replaced were Akzo 7K axles. Akzo and Dexter are two popular brand names besides Lippert that produce RV axles.

Please clarify.