The Dam-IT and Supid-Me award goes to "ME"

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have made it home from Goshen in one piece, but not without issues. First issue was one tire running 20-25 Degrees higher than all the others. pressure was fine, so I just slowed down to 60mph and it came down to below 100 deg. The second issue, was not a simple, back in Gettysburg, it was pointed out to me that I had an issue with wiring hanging down under the slide ( above the tires ) and it was going to cause a issue .... well I Jerry-rigged a solution planning on getting it addressed at Goshen, but my fix was so good I forgot to get it addressed .... that is the Stupid-Me Award part.

Well my Jerry-Rig fell apart on the way home yesterday and tore up the wiring and the plastic piece that should hold it all in place .... that is the Dam-IT part ...

I ended up fixing the wiring that needed fixing to keep driving and taped everything up so it would not keep rubbing. Today I ordered the replacement holder/retainer to replace teh one that stopped doing its job. I hope to have that in the next few weeks so I can go out camping again .......

Moral of the story is fix it right the first time - a few rubber bands ( yes I used rubber bands ) do not a permanent solution make!! and always Listen to Duane when he says "you should fix that"

so I am thankful that I had the tire temp issue since it was look at the tires that caused me to see the issue with the wires.... it could have been a lot worse that it is on the damage side

oldmannj

Kevin, Sorry to hear you had trouble. Happy to hear it wasn't any worse than it was. I'll 2nd all the above essentials ESPECIALLY the zip ties. I don't know what I ever did without them!!! ED.

recumbent615

and zip ties of various sizes. They hold better than rubber bands!

I should clarify this a bit, I did use zip ties to hold the wires to the failing plastic strap but it needed to flex when the slide went in and out - and bungee cords were just too long or did not stretch enough so I used several large rubber bands to provide the stretch when the slide was open and kept the wires out of harms way when it was closed - ( until it snapped - mind you that was some 2K miles later... ) my failure was in going 2001 miles before making a proper fix... LOL - Lesson learned!!

Proper parts on order to replace the failed plastic retainer

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had one of those plastic straps break at its bend point on my entertainment slide. So I cut a piece of old inner tube and used pop rivets to splice it over the break.

mobilcastle

The Dam-IT and Supid-Me award goes to "ME"

I had two break at the mounting screws-I redrilled the plastic and used fender washers and it has held fine.

porthole

Retired
Re: The Dam-IT and Supid-Me award goes to "ME"

Hey Kevin - at least it wasn't a trip breaker, and compared to what others went through, yours was relatively minor.

BTW, the RV Parts Nation still had the Cherry table.

Rodbuster

Did you ever find out what made that one tire heat up so much? That would concern me a little. Especially at 20 or 25 degrees.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have replaced the plastic thingy that broke on two different slides... First one about year and a half mark, 2nd at year 3. I think the plastic gets brittle and cracks usually close to attachment point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Dick,

No I never did, It was the rear tire on the door side ( where my 1000 lb bike is loaded ) so it is always under a bit more load than the others - but other than speed and construction areas with a rough shoulder I could not see any other reason for the increased tire temp..

I'll keep a close eye on it on my next trip. after the wiring issue is resolved.

Heartland now only sells the replacement plastic retailers in sets of three... so I will have two spares...

Kevin

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I'm glad you posted this about the folding cable holder under the slide. Ir reminded me that the one under the door side slide is drooping. I have some conveyer belt material that I can use to strengthen the hinge area.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You can also use a normal door hinge in both places they bend. Repaired mine 4 years ago that way and still going strong.