The Maiden Voyage

BigGuy82

So, we finally got the new rig out of the driveway and on the road, with about 2,000 miles on it. Here's my initial observations so far:

The Good
  • Tracked & handled very well
  • All major systems worked flawlessly
  • In a huge downpour, the unit was tight and dry
  • Factory foam mattress is surprisingly comfortable
  • The ducted AC keeps the entire coach at a very even temperature

The Not So Good (minor but still annoying)
  • The chairs (as mentioned in an earlier post) are just junk. Fixed one but when the second one exhibited joints that weren't glued, we just threw them in the nearest dumpster and bought two excellent hardwood chairs from Pier 1 for 200 bucks. Sad that Heartland cheaped out on these, especially at this price point.
  • The folding chairs are very similar to the dinette chairs - cheap, light weight junk. Into the dumpster they went - we'll use card table chairs that are far sturdier.
  • The metal brackets that hold the bottom of the curtains in place merely make opening/closing the shades difficult. Couldn't figure out why they are needed so I removed and tossed them
So, overall, a great ride so far. Another 5000 miles planned on this trip, so we'll see what happens

mlpeloquin

Unless Heartland has changed the mattress, it will be comfortable for a short time. Ours was, but it will fail to spring back over time and you will be sleeping in a pit.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our chairs fell apart too when the coach was new. Heartland shipped us replacements and they too fell apart. They are barely glued where they should be screwed together. We tried to glue and screw them back together and even tried putting L brackets to no avail. The chairs are junk.

padre44

The chairs in our 2016 Big Horn 3570 have been fine. Curtain brackets are a pain so I just bent them some and now no problem.

BigGuy82

The chairs in our 2016 Big Horn 3570 have been fine. Curtain brackets are a pain so I just bent them some and now no problem.

Maybe on your model. On the 3010, it was a nightly pain to lower the shade between the pop up TV cover and the rear window locking knobs, regardless of how much you bend the brackets. Also, by the small slide window by the dinette, removing the bracket allows you to gain an inch or so of room in an already tight space. They are totally useless.

Regarding your chairs, Heartland probably gets them from a variety of suppliers. I'm glad you got some good ones - mine were crap. When someone sat on them, whenever the person shifted sideways, you could see the legs flex.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless Heartland has changed the mattress, it will be comfortable for a short time. Ours was, but it will fail to spring back over time and you will be sleeping in a pit.
I'm away from the coach right now, but I think it's iSleep or something like that. Nevertheless,it is foam so you've probably predicted its future accurately. When it dies, I'll buy a sleep number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garypowell

On our 3010 during daylight hours found too much light and heat came in back window. Went to big box and got a sheet of blue styrofoam and cut to fit and sealed off the window behind TV. Put the printed side towards inside.

Took left over and did the same to bedroom slide Windows so room is darker for better sleep.

C-Haert

Wow.

Sorry to hear about your chairs...mine are fine so far. Unfortunately, my problem was with the table top...it literally fell off the first time we sat down to eat! :confused:
Whoever ran the (too short) screws from the table top into the base missed the structure almost completely..grrr. Disassembled, then I repaired with some longer wood screws and some Gorilla Glue. Back in business...now it's break time. I sat down on my recliner, turned on the seat heater and massager...then took a nap!

C-Haert
:cool: