The need for a second AC unit.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm working with the service guy at the park we are staying at for a 2nd AC unit. He wants to install a standard 13.5K in front but I'm trying to get him to order a low profile unit. I'll update once installed.
I have seen a lot of rigs with a standard unit in front.
Personally I would go with the low profile. I do not want to add to the height of the rig.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We jumped full into Summer this weekend, temps in the 90s and 45% humidity. We ran 2 ACs nearly non-stop during the day. Thermostat in the hall read as high as 81, but we were comfortable in the living area with the new "tent the vent" and a Vornado fan circulating... Upstairs, the bedroom was much cooler with the 2nd AC. We have a second Vornado sitting on the floor, pointed toward the living area, and that helped draw the colder air from the small space down stairs to the kitchen area. Helped a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave10a

I would not be without the second A/C. Also I would have it factory installed to have the most assurance that it was properly installed. Dealers cut too many corners. My bed room A/C cycles more frequently than the main living area unit. This means it uses significantly less power and if you are paying for meter power like I do while snow birding that means less money. The living area unit rarely cycles, while being a larger unit, because it is a larger area to cool and its over all R rating is very low because of slides. The Bedroom area retains the cool air longer than the living area. Also if I had only the one unit the bedroom area would take much longer to cool down and is very noticeable in the hot weather.

ParkIt

Our rig goes in the shop today and we are having a low profile unit installed in the bedroom. No matter what we did to direct more air up front it just doesn't have enough oomph to get the colder air up there and it is more expensive after factory install. Even if you are only in a hot temperature area for a week you are going to stare at the ceiling and think "that was a good idea".

olcoon

Our 30' Elk Ridge only has 1 slide, the first summer we had it, we only needed the 2nd AC 1 time. Took the Grandson to Branson temps were in the 100 range with high humidity, with heat index around 115. We definitely need a 2nd AC! Since then we have had no need for it since we spent the summers in the mountains of Colorado & Wyoming. This summer we are "staying home". Planning on taking short trips & sticking closer to home so DW can be around for her Son's upcoming wedding. We are thinking about upgrading & if we don't have the 2nd AC installed at the factory, it will be installed soon after we get it.

Birchwood

One A/C should be fine for a 33.5 ft RV camping in average temps.The second A/C does give you a spare if the main fails.