The Scorpion

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I wish anyone of the manufacturers would use a Cat in their pickup. I would be the first in line. Cat C7 860 ft lbs torque, 330 hp, sweet engine

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My 2006 Power Stroke is rated at 570 pound-feet of torque and 325 horsepower.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/2006/2006_ford_f250_f350_super_duty.html

390 hp and 720 ft. lbs. of torque.. wonder if I can put a new Scorpio in my chassis...

The new diesels are coming out with a additive to burn exaust using an injector. Will this one require it also?? This was indicated about the new Duramax for 2011..
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/first-look-2011-duramax-diesel-v8-engine.html

NOx selective catalytic reduction uses diesel exhaust fluid. The urea-based solution (32.5 percent industrial urea and 67.5 percent deionized water) is held in a 5.5-gallon storage tank and injected as a fine mist into the Duramax’s hot exhaust gases. The heat turns the urea into ammonia that -- when combined with a special catalytic converter -- breaks the NOx down into harmless nitrogen gas and water vapor.

BC

bill40

I think I would wait for the second generation, the first ones always seem to have problems.

Tom of Ypsi

It depends on how much coffee I drink that morning. Right now I am good for the next rest area for every cup. More than that then the woods, bridges or any other place is fair game.

jimtoo

I could never travel in a caravan....I would always be the last one and trying to play catchup.... I love my morning coffee,, about a quart or so.. but that means rest stops about every 60-75 miles. :D

Jim M

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I read an article, (if I can find it) that said the UREA would last about 10,000 miles..

If I find the article I will post it..

BC

palebluedot

Viewing the picture, it looks like it might possibly be an aluminum block engine. Aside from that, it looks to be a mechanic's worst nightmare. As for waiting on the second generation, I would not hold my breath, Ford seems to introduce a new engine instead of improving an existing one. Witness 4 different engines in 8 years (7.3L in 2002/6.0L/6.4L to 6.7L in 2010). There is just something to be said about the simplicity of an inline 6 engine be it a Cummins, Navistar, Cat or whatever - there must be a reason you don't find a V8 in the 18 wheelers. If the Scorpion doesn't have any major bugs or the issues plaguing the 6.0L, it should be a real towing monster. I wish Ford great success with it, any company that can operate without government funding gets my vote.

wdk450

No More Cat In over the road vehicles

I wish anyone of the manufacturers would use a Cat in their pickup. I would be the first in line. Cat C7 860 ft lbs torque, 330 hp, sweet engine

I posting I saw earlier this year said that Cat announced that it was getting out of supplying engines for over-the-road vehicles.

Drew

I would love to see Ford and Detroit Diesel working together on an MBE900 sized motor. I have some experience with DD reliability and found them to be a good American company right in the same state as Ford. Duhhhhhhh..........

caissiel

Cummins is developping 2 new V8's and I think its for the Dodge trucks. one for the 1/2 tons and 1 for the HD's. The reason they build v8's is for the size and weight of the engine. More compack and warms up faster. A V8 is easier to control vibration, Tech wise, its the smoothest running engine configuration in a gas engine, and V6 is the worst. a V shape engine can rev faster, see what Audi uses for a race engine.

palebluedot

Cummins is developping 2 new V8's and I think its for the Dodge trucks. one for the 1/2 tons and 1 for the HD's. The reason they build v8's is for the size and weight of the engine. More compack and warms up faster. A V8 is easier to control vibration, Tech wise, its the smoothest running engine configuration in a gas engine, and V6 is the worst. a V shape engine can rev faster, see what Audi uses for a race engine.

Quoted from Wikepedia:
"An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, which can be achieved without using a balance shaft. The engine is in primary balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs. That is, piston #1 balances #6, #2 balances #5, and #3 balances #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because an inline six cylinder crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120 degrees. The result is that differences in piston speed at any given point in rotation are effectively canceled."

I agree that the V8 is a very smooth engine, but the inline 6 achieves it without all the complexity.

slojohn

You have to hand it to Ford they just arn't going to stop till they get it right! I'm sure glad Dodge got it right years ago.

caissiel

Its hot time for diesel engines and everyone is working hard to beat this polution thing. The Europeen are way ahead of Americans and I feel that the Ford setup will shine. We cannot look back with the new polution deal, it has changed the whole idea of diesels for the best, which are still the king in tow engines. Ford is also way ahead of the others with their light duty gasolene compression ignition engine coming out soon. The Europeen have way more Diesel models and have worked hard to have V6's and V8's in there high power cars and trucks, and Ford is right in the mix. The American Gov. is doing everything to boost the Hybrid and the VW with their Diesels still is Green King. They even changed the EPA mileage tests to favour the Hybrid.