The Scorpion

billd

I know the 6.0 and 6.4 were done for the newer emissions. The 6.7 will be interesting since it is their own motor this time. But Ford has been doing diesels over in Europe for a long time, so maybe some of the technologies came from there to the 6.7. Only time and consumer feedback will tell if it works out.

Bill

bill40

Wonder how the UREA is going to work in the cold weather states. I heard it is a water based product. Heated tanks maybe?

bill40

I would think they elec. Would have to be on a swich for over night protection. I was in a CAT. place Wed. and a big rig was getting one of those new after burn mufflers replaced $5000. Can't wait too see what all this new stuff is going to cost. But we have to protect the Owls!

imchud

Quoted from Wikepedia:
"An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, which can be achieved without using a balance shaft. The engine is in primary balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs. That is, piston #1 balances #6, #2 balances #5, and #3 balances #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because an inline six cylinder crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120 degrees. The result is that differences in piston speed at any given point in rotation are effectively canceled."

I agree that the V8 is a very smooth engine, but the inline 6 achieves it without all the complexity.

YEAH.... What he said.:D

Cyncwby

Thanks Truknutt for the link, very interesting stuff, like I said a few months ago this thing ought to be a beast and it sounds like Ford has really done thier homework. Hopefully it will work out for them and the customers who buy the trucks, amazing how they can get that much power out of it with less compression.

egnors

i was down at Ford for a design meeting, and there was a brand new F450 sittin in the parking lot. Looks much better to me than the 08 style trucks. As I was leaving, couple guys got in to drive off. SUPER quiet for a diesel. At idle speed, as quiet or quieter than Ford's 5.4 gasser. the new dually fenders look good to me too. had the factory 5er hitch already installed too. a Drawtite setup.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I don't understand Ford's thinking on the new F-450. They are taking as great tow vehicle and have reduced it to a re-badged f-350. They reduced the rear end size, the brake size and the tire size to increase fuel mileage and the top speed. Of course, I care about fuel mileage, but if I'm towing a heavy load, I'm not as concerned about mileage as I am with safety. This safety includes a larger rear axle with heavier gears and larger brakes to safely stop me and my load. I am not at all concerned with top speed. If my truck will run 70 or so miles per hour, I am perfectly happy. I tow at 62-63 as many do, so a few MPH over that suits me just fine. Even bobtail, I don't care to drive my truck much higher than that because of fuel mileage. I wish they would just leave things alone that are working! Ford's truck sales are down just like all the other manufacturers and I don't think this will sell them that many more trucks. JMHO

Tom of Ypsi

Jay, I do not know for sure but maybe the new trucks have a fuel mileage criteria that is being mandated by the government. This may be the reasoning behind the change in the 450's.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have said for a long time now that when the truckers get tired of the high diesel prices and park their trucks in protest the diesel prices will come down. All it will take is a few days of no trucks moving. Come on truckers get organized. Also, have you ever noticed how diesel prices go up right before holidays? What a ripoff.

lwmcguir

There are a lot of strange things in play but the bottom line is there is only so much fuel available. I haven't checked this year but back when gasoline peaked last time we were importing between 7-8 million gallons per day. We have to dramatically cut back consumption or increase production. The only real cut back on use has been the slowing economy. Hang on for the ride if and when it picks back up and un-employment dips down to-wards 6 percent. There is going to be another energy crunch at around the same time.

Delaine and Lindy

Trucking Industry isn't like the old Trucking industry. A few years back Congress seen what the Trucking industry could do. They could in fact shut the whole country down. The Tanker yankers alone would only have to shut down for 5 days and the Country would stop. Now the major Trucking companys can put a fuel sur-charge on all freight thats hauled. Thats why most independent Truck owners went out of business. I really see Diesel Truck going away that is the Light Duty Trucks, 3/4 tpms and the 1 tons. The class 8 Trucks will still be here. We need more drilling for Oil in our Country and vote those out that don't like for us to drill for more oil. America runs on Oil. If I remember correctly the reason that Class 8 Trucks don't use the V-8 is because of weight. And thats correct Cat no longer builds a over the road Diesel, emision standards kill the Cat. As for Ford I sure hope the new Diesel engine does well. GBY....

caissiel

I read in one of the diesel magazines that there is a lot of Gasoline being imported from Europe, in return because Europe has high diesel prices, its more profitable to export Bio Diesel, and I feel that pure diesel is also in the mix.

caissiel

GM also has a new 4.5L internal exhaust diesel engine in the works. Cheaper to produce with much less parts. Its an European design build in Mexico.

palebluedot

GM also has a new 4.5L internal exhaust diesel engine in the works. Cheaper to produce with much less parts. Its an European design build in Mexico.

I just can't get my mind wrapped around what an "internal exhaust" is. Cummins has the patent on the thing. Guess Ford is paying Cummins a fee to use it.