The Talleys 3950FB Mods

MCTalley

I could have just run an extension around the back of the seating and called it a day, but that would be too easy. :)

VKTalley

I could have just run an extension around the back of the seating and called it a day, but that would be too easy. :)

Which is exactly what he did in our previous rig. :p Now, if I can get him to do a couple of mod for me......

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Half Bath Backsplash and Light Switch Move

Malcolm what size nailer do you

pegmikef

Nice job! Now I gotta go find a couple of those outlets with the USB charging ports. Thanks for the tip.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I found something like this at WalMart: http://www.hammacher.com/Product/84...urce=PRODSEM&gclid=CKWQ4KCwo8UCFQmRaQodM1EAgA

Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 10.32.01 AM.jpg

It's essentially an extension cord, but looks like a wall outlet. Works well to move an outlet to a more convenient location, like from behind furniture. Rather than having to reach down between the arm and the wall, 3" off the floor, to get to the existing outlet, I have "moved" the outlet that's beside the loveseat up to just above the arm height. Used Command strips to hold the new outlet to the wall.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Nice, I like the USB charging ports.

Peace
Dave

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Neat Erika - I'm going to have to run to wally world and see if I can find one of those. I agree in that's it difficult not having a plug on the left side of the slide wall and I hate running cords from the plug on the back wall.

pegmikef

I found something like this at WalMart: http://www.hammacher.com/Product/84...urce=PRODSEM&gclid=CKWQ4KCwo8UCFQmRaQodM1EAgA

View attachment 36622

It's essentially an extension cord, but looks like a wall outlet. Works well to move an outlet to a more convenient location, like from behind furniture. Rather than having to reach down between the arm and the wall, 3" off the floor, to get to the existing outlet, I have "moved" the outlet that's beside the loveseat up to just above the arm height. Used Command strips to hold the new outlet to the wall.

Thanks for the idea Erika. The outlets I want to modify are already at counter height so in my searching I came across this one that is perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/Magicfly-Outl...qid=1430582407&sr=8-4&keywords=ac/usb+outlets

MCTalley

Malcolm what size nailer do you

Not sure. I'll have to check. I just bought pretty much the cheapest one I could find that looked like it would do the job.

Pretty cool extension, Erika. I like that, too.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

Thanks. I have one similar but the brads seem awful large.

MCTalley

Thanks. I have one similar but the brads seem awful large.

I typically use about a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" brads in mine. Typically I'm nailing something back to a stud or floorboard, so it shouldn't come out the other side of anything.

MCTalley

110V and USB Outlet Bedroom Install

One of my earlier projects was to install a combination 110V / USB outlet in the console portion of our theater seating unit. We liked the outlet so much, we decided to replace the outlets on either side of our bed frame with the same. At the same time, we decided that we would rather have a black outlet in the living room (since all the other electrical items in the trailer are black). I pulled the Almond colored outlet from the theater seat and replaced it with a black one. The Almond colored one, plus another one we bought at Home Depot went into the bedroom frame.

The existing bedroom 110V outlets are lower profile, enclosed back units that don't need a junction box. Instead of putting a full junction box in (which would have required cutting through the inside wall of the frame), I just used a low voltage (open) junction box to mount the replacement outlets since they are pretty well enclosed and don't pose a risk of shorting against anything. Note in the first photo that I did have proper supervision while hooking up the theater seat outlet.

150509-06.JPG150509-07.JPG150509-08.JPG150509-09.JPG

jbeletti

Re: 110V and USB Outlet Bedroom Install

Nice.

I need that dark wall plate! Can't find one in Crossville at all :)

MCTalley

Relocated Overhead Light Switch - Rear Sofa

The switch for the overhead lights over the rear sofa in our unit is located on the underside of the overhead cabinets. Besides the fact the switch is black in color and on the underside of a dark cabinet, it is also fairly high up. Val just about has to climb up on the couch just to turn the lights on.

Working on a hunch that there was probably a 12V line running up to power the overhead lights and the two wall sconces, I pulled the AC outlet out on the door side of the couch, dug around in the insulation and sure enough found a single low voltage wire run heading up overhead. There was hardly any slack in the wire, so I couldn't really test it and just worked on faith.

I cut a hole above the AC outlet (no AC wiring heading up above) where I wanted to mount a switch. I separated the two wires by cutting down the middle with a knife and then cut one of the wires. I verified at that point that the wiring fed both wall sconces and the overhead lights in one circuit. I wired the switch inline with the wire I cut and verified it worked. Essentially, it serves as a cut-off for all three lighting areas (two wall sconces and the overhead lights).

With the switch turned on, all the lights can be operated individually as normal. Turn the switch off and all the lights go off. I didn't want to get fancy and pull a bunch of wire and install a three gang switch. This solution is good enough since we primarily just use the overhead lights.

150509-10.JPG150509-11.JPG150509-12.JPG150509-13.JPG

VKTalley

Re: 110V and USB Outlet Bedroom Install

Nice.

I need that dark wall plate! Can't find one in Crossville at all :)

Jim, they have several here at the Home Depot off Briley Parkway, near the Nashville KOA. How many do you need?