The Talleys 3950FB Mods

MCTalley

Shelves in the Kitchen Pantry

We had been using stacker wire shelves in our kitchen pantry to increase the food storage density. Based on our previous shelving addition in the half-bath tall closet, we decided to tear out the two fixed shelves in the top half of the pantry and put in adjustable shelving. We ended up with five shelves instead of the original two. A couple pictures attached.

Attachments

• 150514-03.jpg
    150514-03.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 150514-04.jpg
    150514-04.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 150514-05.jpg
    150514-05.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 145

MCTalley

Replacement Shower Hose

OK, so we probably should have kept the metal shower hose that came with the rig. Instead, when we bought the Oxygenics shower head, we used the Oxygenics stiff plastic hose and sent the other one off packing to Goodwill. After wrestling with the plastic hose (Val, mainly, I generally leave the shower head parked in the holder), we decided to see if we could find a metal hose.

Home Depot has this hose that was a direct replacement. The shower head doesn't seat in the holder as firmly as before, but it all works fine. Plus, this hose is 86" long (7 feet, 2 inches) which allows you to also take a shower down in the half bath. (OK, just kidding).

Attachments

• 150509-03.jpg
    150509-03.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 100

VKTalley

Re: Replacement Shower Hose

I'm loving the extra shelving in my pantry and my new shower hose that doesn't clear everything off of the shower seat. I am so blessed with a very handy hubby!

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Love all the mods! BTW, I also love my Fury shower head.

Did I miss the pic of the golf bag stand in the basement?

Thanks,

Nancy Anderson
North Texas Chapter Leader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks Val and Malcolm for the tour of your new Big Country. Ya'll have done a great job making the mods fit your needs but looking very professional.

VKTalley

Love all the mods! BTW, I also love my Fury shower head.

Did I miss the pic of the golf bag stand in the basement?

Thanks,

Nancy Anderson
North Texas Chapter Leader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Nancy, no, you didn't....Malcolm keeps forgetting to post them. I'll get on him to get them posted.

VKTalley

Thanks Val and Malcolm for the tour of your new Big Country. Ya'll have done a great job making the mods fit your needs but looking very professional.

Thanks, Byrd! It was great seeing you, Nathan and Bambam today.

dlw930

I'm enjoying catching up on all the mods to your BC. We have yet to spend a night in our Key Largo, but I already know Donna wants some shelves added to the bedroom closet storage cabinet. I had never seen the outlets with USB ports. Definitely need to get some of those. Thanks for all the ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCTalley

Golf Bag Shelves in Front Storage Compartment

By popular demand, here are the shelves we installed in our front storage compartment (we don't have a generator) to carry our golf bags. Standard wire rack shelving with the runners screwed to the back wall of the compartment. We use bungees to keep the bags from flopping forward off the shelves.

Note that these are pictures of the shelves mounted in our previous 3690. We took them out and transferred them to the 3950 to the same spot. The shelves were standard 4 foot long by (I think) 12 or 14 inches deep.

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 146

VKTalley

I'm enjoying catching up on all the mods to your BC. We have yet to spend a night in our Key Largo, but I already know Donna wants some shelves added to the bedroom closet storage cabinet. I had never seen the outlets with USB ports. Definitely need to get some of those. Thanks for all the ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, David! Glad you are enjoying all our mods. The outlets with USB ports were bought at Home Depot but I'm sure Lowe's probably carries them too.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Re: Golf Bag Shelves in Front Storage Compartment

By popular demand, here are the shelves we installed in our front storage compartment (we don't have a generator) to carry our golf bags. Standard wire rack shelving with the runners screwed to the back wall of the compartment. We use bungees to keep the bags from flopping forward off the shelves.

Note that these are pictures of the shelves mounted in our previous 3690. We took them out and transferred them to the 3950 to the same spot. The shelves were standard 4 foot long by (I think) 12 or 14 inches deep.

Thank you!! I couldn't picture how it looked, but now it makes sense! I think Dave needs this.

MCTalley

Home Theater System Replacement

This is one of those projects that I partially did on the last rig. It also grew into one of those projects in this rig where one item determined the need for the next one and it grew into a full-blown replacement.

First, I have been watching the resurgence of vinyl records over the last several months and had been considering the format. However, until we got the 3950FB, there wasn't a good place to put a proper turntable. With our early build 3950, there is a lot of "counter" space in the area of the entertainment system, providing a nice platform for a turntable. When we are traveling, the turntable is unplugged and put in one of the recliners to ride safely.

While we were at the rally in Goshen, I found a really nice record store in downtown Goshen while Val was across the street shopping for yarn. I ended up walking out the door with an inexpensive turntable (#1) and a few records. A few days later, I was back and upgrading the turntable (Audio Technica LP-120-USB) as well as picking up more albums. It all sounded decent through the Sony home theater system and cheap white plastic speakers on the ceiling.

While looking for replacement speakers on Amazon, I found the outgoing version of the Bose Acoustimass 6 system on sale for almost half price ($360 instead of $699) so I ordered a set along with some generic ceiling mounts. I replaced the five ceiling speakers on the road on the way to Houston from the rally. Once we settled down in Houston, I went to tackle the main Bose module. Generally speaking, it has two sets of cables - one set connects the module to your amplifier and the other set of cables go to the speakers.

Rather than trying to pull the set up to the amplifier through the wall of the slide, I just did all the wiring in the bottom of the slide as shown in the pictures, below. The wires going from the amplifier to the speakers exits the slide back in the corner of the cabinet. Several inches of each wire pair is available to pull out a little bit and snip in half. I then just patched the Bose wiring into those wires at one point back in the corner. Not the prettiest solution, but it is hidden from view and it works.

With the Bose module, you have the option of not hooking up a dedicated subwoofer line to it. In that case, the unit will take the lower frequency audio from the other five channels and use it to drive its internal subwoofer. Since the cheap Sony home theater receiver supplied with the trailer had an amplified subwoofer output, this seemed to be an ideal solution. However, I quickly found that the receiver also filtered out the lower frequencies from the five main channels, thus rendering the Bose subwoofer ineffective.

From that discovery, I ended up shopping dedicated home theater receivers. The cabinet over the TV is, fortunately, deep enough for a standard receiver, but I already have a bunch of stuff up there, so height became an issue. It turns out that Marantz makes a line of low profile receivers, so I got the Marantz NR1403 (which is another outgoing model) on clearance at a nearby Best Buy and wired it up in place of the Heartland-supplied Sony unit.

Now the whole system sounds great. The only issue I've found so far is that the subwoofer feeds back through the turntable at higher volumes. This is just a mechanical issue of isolating the turntable a little better since it sits on top of the same cabinet under which the sub is located.

Also note the USB-powered fan on top of the receiver. We quickly found that all that equipment generates a bit of heat in the enclosed cabinet. I currently use a pencil to keep the door partially open about an inch at the bottom and have the fan blowing on top of the receiver. This seems to keep temperatures at bay pretty well. The fan is driven off an extra iPad charger block I had laying around.

Attachments

• 150707-01.jpg
    150707-01.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 95
  • 150707-02.jpg
    150707-02.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 150707-03.jpg
    150707-03.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 150707-04.jpg
    150707-04.jpg