Thinking about moving - need some NJ people's suggestions pls about RV parking town ordiances

Porkchop

Hi Everyone!

Sorry it's been so long!

Martin and I are thinking about moving out of Hoboken, NJ - and want to move to a community that allows RV parking on our property. We have a 35 foot Cyclone and there are so many restrictions out there in the town ordinances!

I know this is a long shot but I thought I would throw this out here (or someone might be able to direct me to a good place). I wonder if there is a blog/website that lists the towns in NJ that allow RV parking.

I started looking into it and my research shows that towns like Berkeley Heights actually allow RV parking as long as it's not in the front of the house. New Providence, Summit and other surrounding area requires them to be GARAGED. Westfield only allows it up to 18 feet. I have a few other towns that are crossed off the list...

I am being to picky? I'm just worried that if I buy in a town that has restrictions - that the neighbors might get upset with our RV and then we are SOL.

I know there are TONS of variables to buying a new house like taxes, school district, etc etc. But if anyone is in the Central NJ area that might have an idea or suggestion it would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Irene

Rrloren

We are in Galloway Township which may be a little further South than your interested , but we park ours in our yard and see many others doing the same thing. Nice rural area however like everyone else in NJ our property taxes are too high.

bill40

Move up here to Lake Meade PA, no problem with parking and taxes are a lot cheaper. There are probably 25 to 30 RV's in our community.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
This would be an easy task if we had county codes but since each individual community makes the rules up as they go it will be difficult, at best, to narrow it down. Coastal communities are surely seeing code enforcement changes as a result of Superstorm Sandy. I imagine many future regulatory changes as RV's, Boats, Cars and Homes now litter Barnegat Bay in many areas. Good luck in your search!

Porkchop

Thank you for all the suggestions, including the one to move to PA! I would if I could, but it's not in the future.... While I'm a worker bee, I have to be near my job as well as our family while our 23 month old is growing up. It's nice to have at least.

I'll keep looking at different town in the North Central Jersey area -- if anyone has any more suggestions I can always look up the code or call the town. I'm just not sure really where to start. I've been kinda stuck on Berkeley Heights, but inventory is low so I'm trying to expand my horizons.

If this helps anyone to give us some thoughts about the NJ area, I work in East Orange (hope to one day work at the Lyons facility) and Martin works in Jersey City. Right now our commute is pretty good - 1/2 for me driving and 20 min for him on mass transit. I just am starting to HATE having our RV parked 2 hours away (to only pay $45 a month for storage).

Maybe an alternative is to ask, where's a good, inexpensive, some what close place to park an RV if you live in Hoboken? Eventually we will need to move out of Hoboken, but where we currently keep the RV is not always convenient.

Debbie, I agree about that enforcement - and who knows, they might even change the code once I buy at place! I love our RV and hope to keep it for years and years in the future!

jbeletti

Irene,

Read through all the discussions in the New Jersey section of City Data forums (link). If you don't find what you seek, join that forum and create your own thread.

This is the same forum I found my current RV Home Community (TN) in.

Jim

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Try looking in the Hillsbough area if it is not to far. Alot of open farm land mixed with city areas also

Dtaylor52

I dont think it is so much the towns you have to worry about. I would check homeowner associations BEFORE you buy/rent. The little Hitler types that run some of the associations love to exercise the only authority they have ever had in life.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
No problem in TEXAS.... We have plenty of room.. LOL...

Hope things work out for you. Another form of our government taking good care of us...

BC

Porkchop

That's great suggestions! Thanks Jim for directing me to the correct link.

I know about those home owners associations! We live in a condo now and sharing the decisions with other people can be a pain!

Irene

dalspot

And let me suggest Delaware! You'd save enough on your taxes to pay to park the RV someplace with money to spare LOL.

Karen

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
And let me suggest Delaware! You'd save enough on your taxes to pay to park the RV someplace with money to spare LOL.

Karen

Sounds very inviting Karen! But it still snows there. When I go it's gotta be warm and sunny with no white stuff!