Thinking of Buying a 5th Wheel Heartland Cyclone 3800

srgt30

Things I wish were different is the flat awning. Not very helpful at times. Also our model year has the double loft bunk which is pretty useless and wasted space except for storage. Should not be a problem for you as I believe the newer models are single beds. And I still wish the bed was north south but as I said we love the layout and can live with the other stuff.

Hello everyone the wife and I are from California and we just bought our 3800 about two months ago and took it out twice already. When we started looking for our fifth wheeler after owning a 27ft toy hauler we knew we had to find the fifth wheeler that we wanted before buying the truck due to weight issues. We looked at the ford 350/450 diesel dually and the dodge 3500 turbo diesel dually trucks. I fell in love with the dodge over the ford due to style and the engine braking system. Man it felt great driving down hills and hearing and feeling that engine braking system kick in. Had to use the brake pedal a little and at time never. Great truck, it brakes great and I can not tell im pulling it. On that note do not get a truck is is max on the weight get a truck that can handle the weight and then some. Good Luck

danemayer

Hi ichatman05,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Bksvo

We've had our 3800 for 13 months now, and lived in it for about 4 of those, camped in it another 6 weeks total, so we are getting our money's worth. We've towed it roughly 12k miles in that time, with our 2008 F-350 SRW 4wd. It does a great job, even in the mountains, and I have no desire to upgrade to a DRW. I did add airbags to lift the rear about an inch to help with the ride, but that's it.

I think the available rear axle ratios have something to do with the tow ratings the manufacturers put on the trucks. The standard F-250 comes geared with a 3.08 now, I believe, to help with fuel mileage. The lowest F-350 is 3.55, and the lowest F-450 is 4.10. Don't hold my feet to the fire on any of those, but the axle ratios definitely affect how much strain towing puts on the power train and is reflected in the tow ratings.

BTW, don't take it anywhere with the Towmax tires. Big Headache. I replaced them with Carlyle's after a big blowout, and they have held up great.

scottyb

I towed my 4100 with a 3500 HD for 4500 mi. The 3800 is in the same class GVWR and pin weight. Everything went well but I knew that I was severely overloaded (rear tires and axle) and there was no margin for error. It was not worth the risk to me and I did something about it as soon as it was feasible. The difference in stability has been amazing, and the peace of mine in the redundancy of the DRW is priceless.

If I was in your shoes, I would do some serious thinking about getting an HDT, and not even consider a pickup. We have a 3912 Cyclone which looks pretty similar in layout and size to the 3800 and pull it with a 3500 drw chevy. But if I got to start from scratch it would be in an HDT. Especially if your looking at buying a new pickup. You can get fully converted HDT for half the price of a new pickup. Check out the HDT section on "escapees forum" Just my opinion :)

mroldstyle,

ok school me. What is HDT? I'm one of these womens that doesn't know much about Truck or anything with a motor... I'm sorry..I do have a 2011 F250 super duty diesel

Michelle

Last edited:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
mroldstyle,

ok school me. What is HDT? I'm one of these womens that doesn't know much about Truck or anything with a motor... I'm sorry..I do have a 2011 F250 super duty diesel

Michelle

I would assume he is referring to a heavy duty truck like an 18 wheeler (Volvo, kenworth or freightliner) I want one but not yet. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

If I was in your shoes, I would do some serious thinking about getting an HDT, and not even consider a pickup.

HDT's are the ultimate pullers, and work well for some, but for others, they have too many limitations. In my case, I use my truck for too many things when I get to my destination, that I couldn't possibly do with a HDT, like the 140 mi of backcountry 4WD roads we covered in the Big Bend area. The reason I chose a 5th wheel is because I could use my tow vehicle for dual purposes. I also use my truck as a daily driver and a work truck, which eliminates owning a completely separate drive train, that I have to license and insure, dedicated only to pulling the rig. If was going to go that route, i would probably buy a gently used diesel pusher with an enclosed trailer, and enjoy the benefits of where the family could eat, sleep, or whatever while driving down the road. But that's JMHO.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had a friend of mine who had an F650 Supercruzer to pull his Teton 5ers. We went to ball games with him several times in his truck and when he parked it he was always charged for two parking spaces. Think I'll keep my F350. If you need more I would recommend no more than an F550. Keep in mind most insurance companies will charge commercial rates on anything over an F350.

Yes it is true there are a lot of pros vs cons of an HDT. It's all boils down to what the op needs or wants in a pulling vehicle. We do mostly long trips and it would be nice to have that sleeper to nap in while second person drives, plus almost unlimited power when you get into the hills and mountains. Not having to stop every 200 to 250 miles to fill up another plus. Most are registered as motor homes so no special license is required (cdl). Most common models (Volvo) aren't really that much larger than a full size dually with extended cab, and actually have shorter turning radius. To each his own, I just hope to have one someday, and then have a 1/2 ton or smaller pickup for a daily driver. :eek:

One thing I have not heard anyone talk about is the max GVW of the TVs. I am new to the 5th wheel game but not new to semi trucks or liability exposure. My wife and I have just ordered a 2014 3800 that from the word on the street should be completed on Thursday. I drive my TV everyday for work and really dreaded the idea of having to buy a dually. But at the end of the day that little tag on the door frame of the truck says it all. I know that SRW trucks can pull these trailers but not one of them has the max GVW rating to tow the lager Cyclones. So for my family and myself God forbid I have to get wrapped up in litigations because of an accident that I or someone else caused I will have the piece of mind that as a responsible driver I purchased the safest set up. Not everyone on the street is a good guy or a responsible person, these rigs we all own are $ signs driving down the road and are a huge liability exposure so protect yourself and your family.

scottyb

I drive my TV everyday for work and really dreaded the idea of having to buy a dually.

I was in the same boat. I never wanted a dually. I thought they were just extra money for tires and fuel not to mention the access limitations. Then, when I backed my SRW up to the land yacht, it became immediately obvious. I started having the same thoughts as you about liability. Now, at 14K GVW on the 2013 F350 DRW, I am probably still borderline on both GVWR and CGVWR.