Thinking of upgrading the suspension and brakes

brianlajoie

I am looking at installing the Titan disc brake system at the national rally, when my wife suggested we also look into independent suspension.

I know the marketing advantages of IS, but was wondering if anyone considered the trade off in maintenance?

I currently use a little silicon spray on the shackle assembly when I maintain the level up legs. I just learned that using a dry lube on the springs is not a bad idea either. Will going to IS help me around shackle / spring suspension issues down the road? I talking about shackle failure and spring inversion. Does IS have its own issues?

Think of also upgrading the axles from 6k to 7k on my 3010RE. I wonder if this would get me into a higher rated shear spring?

Does going with IS help with the scrubbing that goes on when you turn the trailer? I'm not talking about jack knifing the trailer, but I live in a cul de sac and I turn as wide and as slow as possible. Would IS handle this situation better?

wehavefun

Listen to your wife!!!

I know IS is the only way to go, however my good man if she said to do it and you don't I certainly don't want to be in your shoes!!!

Yes, is the simplest answer, maintenance is much easier and less often, I have traveled thousands of miles with 2 Bighorns with IS, it is the only way!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Garypowell

We upgraded to both IS and Disc brakes at the Morryde shop in Elkhart 1.5 months ago. Been pulling ever since now in MT. There is a big difference in the stopping power with the disc brakes. A few things to get used to like when doing the pull test the unit does not move forward before it stops. Would make this upgrade again.

While we enjoy the IS.....it is over sold a little. Read posts before that people say they can now leave their stuff out on the counter tops and it does not move. At least not true in our case and we have a 3010 like yours.

There is a difference in the way the unit rides. Used to go Lump, Lump, Lump, Lump over bumps. Now only goes Lump, Lump for the truck. Overall the ride up in the truck has improved.....just not perfect.

At the same time upgraded to air pin box (5th airborne) and still trying to figure out the right air pressure/bladder position and how temperature affects that little bladder. Sometimes we get chucking and sometimes not. I do believe some of it is the interaction with the 5th airborne and the IS.

Bottom line I would do the IS again.....just not 100% happy yet....but getting there.

Mrsfish

We added mohryde IS and disk brakes last year during the national rally. Since my DH does almost all the driving, I can only tell you my thoughts as a passenger. We travel in AZ, NM, CO quite a bit and have seen lots of big grades. DH is a very good driver, imho, and I rarely noticed the trailer except for sometimes the feeling of being pushed when we are descending a large grade. BUT- after the IS and disk brakes, our first trip was on i70 through the big passes and then 2 weeks later over Wolf Creek and I have to tell you I could absolutely feel the difference. We will never own another rig without either- my statement. I forget the rig is behind us it travels and stops soooo well. So....if your wife says yes then I say go for it!!

David-and-Cheryl

We are planning to upgrade our Landmark with the MOR/ryde IS, H-rated tires and disc brakes early next year. But based on our itinerary, I doubt we'll be able to get to MOR/ryde in Elkhart to have the work done. Any suggestions on finding a good MOR/ryde dealer somewhere else in the country that can do the work?

dewwood

As others have said, IS and disk brakes are the way to go. Also be aware, when they do the IS that includes either 7000 or 8000 lb axles, your choice. I think the 7000 lb would be more than adequate for your rig. I have a similar sized Bighorn and am very happy with the upgrade.

danemayer

We are planning to upgrade our Landmark with the MOR/ryde IS, H-rated tires and disc brakes early next year. But based on our itinerary, I doubt we'll be able to get to MOR/ryde in Elkhart to have the work done. Any suggestions on finding a good MOR/ryde dealer somewhere else in the country that can do the work?

I don't think I've heard of anyone getting IS installed anywhere except Elkhart.

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
Just had IS and disc brakes put on a Landmark after it came off line and then delivered to the dealer .MorRyde was running a special and for both was 6,000. Talk to Gary Wheeler at MorRyde ,.

David-and-Cheryl

As others have said, IS and disk brakes are the way to go. Also be aware, when they do the IS that includes either 7000 or 8000 lb axles, your choice. I think the 7000 lb would be more than adequate for your rig. I have a similar sized Bighorn and am very happy with the upgrade.
Actually, I was probably going to go with the 8000 lb axles. Part of my motivation for spending this much money (including upgrading the wheels and tires) is to be able to carry more weight. Fully loaded and with empty water and holding tanks, we are already at our 16,250 lb. GVWR. So if we're carrying water (a full tank is over 800 lbs) or don't have empty holding tanks, or if we gain weight in the future (the rig, not me and DW!), we're overloaded. I'd feel much better with the larger safety margin that upgrading all the running gear would give us. Our F-450 can handle the extra weight without any problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think I've heard of anyone getting IS installed anywhere except Elkhart.
Me neither. That's what I was afraid of.

The earliest we'd be able to get to Elkhart would be mid-November. And I really don't want to have to drive through real winter weather. Any idea what typical mid-November weather is like in that area?

- - - Updated - - -

Any idea what typical mid-November weather is like in that area?
Well, I guess I could have consulted the interwebs before asking that dumb question! http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/elkhart-in/46516/november-weather/328792 Looks like it would be doable.

brianlajoie

Actually, I was probably going to go with the 8000 lb axles. Part of my motivation for spending this much money (including upgrading the wheels and tires) is to be able to carry more weight. Fully loaded and with empty water and holding tanks, we are already at our 16,250 lb. GVWR. So if we're carrying water (a full tank is over 800 lbs) or don't have empty holding tanks, or if we gain weight in the future (the rig, not me and DW!), we're overloaded. I'd feel much better with the larger safety margin that upgrading all the running gear would give us. Our F-450 can handle the extra weight without any problem.
Adding new suspension and wheels will not change the trailer's GVWR. It will help give you a safety margin and peace of mind. The GVWR is also based on the frame that sits on the suspension. You cannot change the GVWR of a trailer. To me, going from 6k to 7k axels is good enough unless something in the suspension upgrade changes that.

David-and-Cheryl

Understood. It's really the safety margin and peace of mind, like you said. Our trailer already has 7,000 lb axles, so only the 8,000 lb axles would be an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk