Thinking of using Adventure Caravans to Alaska. Has anybody used them?

We are planning a trip in 2015 July to Canada and Alaska using Adventure Caravans. This is all new to us and would like to know if anybody has use them and what your likes and dislikes things like that?

Thank you for any info you might have.

Pete & Fawn

MTPockets

We drove to Alaska in 2011 from FL. A six month trip. We saw several caravans along the way an at times thought it may be fun, but the thought of having to stay on a schedule is what tuns us off. I suppose if you want to let someone else do all the planning and reservations, deciding what routes/sites to see, when to eat, when to leave, how many miles to drive in a day, and so on, then go for it.

evolvingpowercat

I am currently on 59 day Canadian Rockies and Alaska, June 18 thru August 15. traveling with my 2011 Edge towed by my 2006 VW Touareg SUV.

There is also a Heartland Bighorn in the caravan.

Having a great time. This tour uses the Top of World and Taylor highways but if taken slow is not too hard on the tow and TT.

The tour has 23 guest rigs and and 2 staff rigs. Staff is great have EMT, PA, and mechanic experience.

I think it is worth the extra money compared to arranging the 59 day 7000 mile trip on your own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

chiefneon

Howdy!

We did a three and half month trip in Alaska with out a Caravan. I would simplely state save your money for things you would like to do in your travels there. If your fearful of traveling alone start looking for others making the trip next year to travel with. This forum and others have plenty of folks wanting to do the same trip every year you can connect with.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

iawoody2

Like others have said do your own thing. We did this in 2010, no planned schedule. We stopped, ate, sightseeing, and slept when we wantedto. Had absolutely no trouble with finding a campground when we were ready to stop for the night. We even boondocked at scenic stops next to a lake. Met many great people along the way.

MTPockets

We drove to Alaska in 2011 from FL. A six month trip. We saw several caravans along the way an at times thought it may be fun, but the thought of having to stay on a schedule is what tuns us off. I suppose if you want to let someone else do all the planning and reservations, deciding what routes/sites to see, when to eat, when to leave, how many miles to drive in a day, and so on, then go for it.
I would add that our first day in Vancouver, Canada we met a delightful couple that we travelled with for about a month on the Alaska trip, then again for a couple weeks after hooking up two months later in Oregon. We still stay in touch, have visited them in Texas and They remain friends today.

Jim.Allison

I selected this post because of the topic was of interest to me. I have no idea what a trip like this cost in terms of having, basically a guided trip. It certainly cannot be very much as people would opt to form their own caravans and have nightly meeting for planning. So the only thing that I would think that people are looking for is belonging to a tribe who have common interest and can celebrate the trip with them, new friends and comradery. I guess a good guide could also help in dispensing with the useless side trips.

I'm reminded of Chevy Chase in a scene in "Vacation" where they were rushed for time and Chevy looked at the Grand Canyon for 15 seconds tehn directed his family to get in the family truckster to proceed with the timeline. Although the Grand Canyon is spectacular, there are many sites that are hyped to the point one feels that they cannot miss them, an experienced guide could get you past that. But on the other hand they could put you right in the middle of that type of activity. So I don't know what to think. But if the guide came with strong recommendations, im not so sure that I would not participate.

evolvingpowercat

As a guest traveling single to Alaska, Adventure Caravan charged me about $ 120 per day for the 59 day trip. This goes up to about $ 160 per day for 2 guest and a rig. What is covered below (for a better description see the Adventure web site). The price is same no matter if your rig is big or small, huge motor coach or small towed trailer:

- all camping, mostly in parks with full hookups. Three nights dry camping so we can experience the best attractions and route.
- all Canada and USA park passes
- all admissions for included attractions ( see itinerary )
- about 18 or 20 meals
- all gratuities for provided ground / sea transportation and meals
- support of two couples paid staff ( wagon master and tail gunner )

Adventure has this down, they have dropped the "duds" from their trip and pick up the new gems as they come along fairly quickly. There are many free days so you don't feel like you are boxed in like on many shorter "bus" trips that people without RVs take. You have to spend almost no time figuring out where to stay , what to do when you get there. All the best things will be already included, and they know what other activities and places are "fun" and recommend them. They pass along the places that past caravans have said were "duds" so you can avoid them but you are free to still do them if you choose.

Most guests also tip the staff at the end of the caravan over and above the amount paid to Adventure Caravans. That can add a few dollars per day to the cost.

The guests on my Alaska Caravan are from many states and I have met many new wonderful people.

olcoon

Some friends of ours did this a few years ago, and loved it. I had thought about doing it, but got to thinking that we are kind of "free spirits", we are retired, so no time schedules. When we hit the road, we leave when we get around to it, we stop & eat when we get hungry, & stop for restroom breaks when we've got the urge. Also (thanks to Bernie) we can't pass a rest area without stopping to cap some Munzees. Also when we do some sightseeing, we sometimes spend a lot of time looking at stuff. So being with a group probably wouldn't be too good for us. We seldom have a trip planned other than where we want to go & seldom have reservations for where we are going to spend the night. Works for us & we are happy with it.

dbbls59

Three years ago while we were in Alaska we stopped at an overlook near Homer. We met two couples who we started talking to and they ask if we were with a caravan. We told them we were not and they said they wished they were not. They wanted more time to do what they wanted instead of the strict schedule the tour company had set up.

evolvingpowercat

Counter - point to last post. Adventure Caravans makes it clear guests are free to leave the caravan and re-join as they see fit. We get a trip book at the beginning so we know where the Caravan will be camping each and every night of the 59 days. At this point at day 35 only one person has deviated the group is satisfied with the length of the stays at the various venues in Canada and Alaska. For a 60 day trip that covers all the high lights of the Canadian Rockies, Alaska Highway, Top of the World and Taylor highways, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Homer, Seward, Palmer, Valdez, Skagway, etc. it is quite well done. Personally I might try to find another day at the campground near Denali but this would have cut a day somewhere else.

That said if you have much more time to spend in Canada and Alaska get a copy of the MilePost and build your own trip. To each their own!