Thoughts on adding a bed mounted tool-fuel box ?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Most new vehicles have a "roll over" valve on the OEM filler neck. So I doubt if you would lose too much fuel. My thought is...if you ever turn the truck on its top. You will have bigger problems that a small fuel leak. Besides its kinda hard the get diesel fuel to burn unless you work at it. The only vehicles that I personally would worry about are the new Rams and Fords that do not have a "real" screw on gas cap, just some kind of "cork".

I installed a 34 gal tank and it is gravity feed. I fill both tanks...leave the valve open and have never had a problem. The OEM and aux tank give me 70 gallons of fuel and is good for 700 miles at an average of 10 MPG. I ain't driving that far in 1 day. JMHO

oldfitter

Thanks for all the input. The gravity systems is what I was wondering about as the pumped tanks are so expensive. And I don't have a monkey that poops money.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I also use the gravity feed aux fuel tank. It is a 55 gal tank and never a problem in any of my trucks. I will be transferring it into my 2016 Ram upon arrival. I did add factory aux switches to the new Ram so may look at a fuel pump this time around. The gravity feed system has a float valve that when the fuel backs up from the lower tank, it shuts off the fuel from the upper tank. It has never failed and never over filled the main tank. These are great systems from my view point.