Tip: Grocery store loyalty card wherever you go

MCTalley

If you travel to a lot of different areas, or especially if you are a full-timer that often finds themselves in new areas, here's a cool tip a friend passed along.

When you go to a grocery store in a new area for which you don't have a loyalty card, find out if they allow you to look up cards by phone number (most all of them do). Because many people don't like to use their real information for things like loyalty cards, they often will use incorrect phone numbers, etc. One of the most famous phone numbers is Jenny's number - 867-5309, from the 80's song by Tommy Tutone. That is one of the most common "incorrect" phone numbers used by people when signing up for a loyalty card.

The next time you find yourself in a new grocery store, use the local area code along with Jenny's number as the phone number for "your" loyalty card lookup. Chances are, it will work. I tried it out on a whim for the local Winn-Dixie here in Alabama (even though we have a Winn-Dixie card ourselves) and it worked great.

Sorry that this song is now running through your head. Just try to think of all the savings you'll get as you travel around.

Garypowell

We have found that if you chat with the check out person and tell them you travel they will use their card....works for us about 95% of the time.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Even if I don't have enough points, if they have a gas station I still get 3-cents a gallon off by swiping the card. Came in handy these last two weeks in Myrtle Beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Even if I don't have enough points, if they have a gas station I still get 3-cents a gallon off by swiping the card. Came in handy these last two weeks in Myrtle Beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little off the subject, but does everyone know that if you have one of the newer Good Sam's membership cards you can get three cents or sometimes more off per gallon if you swipe it at Flying J/Pilot stations when ask to swipe your loyalty card?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A little off the subject, but does everyone know that if you have one of the newer Good Sam's membership cards you can get three cents or sometimes more off per gallon if you swipe it at Flying J/Pilot stations when ask to swipe your loyalty card?

Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I use my Kroger card wherever there is one. Points accrue for fuel discounts.

Out here in the wild wild west Kroger's is King Soopers and City Market.

Shell stations were accepting the King Soopers cards for awhile, but I am not sure if they are still in the program.

A lot of the new Safeway Stores have gas stations now and also have the gas program.

Krogers was my favorite store when we were still in Michigan, although Cathy always prefered Meijer's Shifty Fakers!

MCTalley

I use my Kroger card wherever there is one. Points accrue for fuel discounts.

We do, too, including associated stores such as Fred Meyer in the PNW.

We have found that if you chat with the check out person and tell them you travel they will use their card....works for us about 95% of the time.

Generally, yes, but we have run across many that just shrug and charge you full price.

Definitely not not advocating giving up perks like fuel points, but if you find yourself at a little used store, especially at a self checkout, this is a handy tool.

Jim.Allison

I ran across a forum the other day (should be easy to search) that was totally dedicated to using all financial instruments including loyalty cards, gift cards, and credit cards to maximized cash back and discounts. Some of the folks were boasting some serious rewards and discounts.

But the OP secrete should be kept between us......don't want to let that one out.

MCTalley

I ran across a forum the other day (should be easy to search) that was totally dedicated to using all financial instruments including loyalty cards, gift cards, and credit cards to maximized cash back and discounts. Some of the folks were boasting some serious rewards and discounts.

But the OP secrete should be kept between us......don't want to let that one out.

We do the cash back/rewards thing with credit cards (paid in full every month). This year's test was to see if we could accumulate enough cash back to finance our now-annual trip to Disney World. Last I checked, we're already $140 over the $1364 cost for a week at a deluxe campsite and two six-day park tickets. Still a couple more travel months to go to pay for meals and souvenirs.

Jim.Allison

We do the same thing, I open accounts to get the discount then wait a week and pay it off on the net, lol. About once a year we order a credit report and close all but account we use or want. then start over again. I guess if we added up the discounts and the cash back I would have 1200 in a year, but as far as cash back you are way ahead of me. But hey, discount of money in your pocket either way it works. I think I will give this some study and perhaps I can get real good at it. When we go full time we can make a science out of it.

We do the cash back/rewards thing with credit cards (paid in full every month). This year's test was to see if we could accumulate enough cash back to finance our now-annual trip to Disney World. Last I checked, we're already $140 over the $1364 cost for a week at a deluxe campsite and two six-day park tickets. Still a couple more travel months to go to pay for meals and souvenirs.

pegmikef

FYI Sam's Club switched to Master Card last summer and their Master Card gives five percent cash back on gas/fuel, three percent on travel (e.g., RV parks, restaurants) and one percent on everything else. That five percent on fuel adds up fast if you are pulling a fiver . . .