Tips on the 6 Point Leveling System

MGMiller

Hi, this is MGMiller's other half of the camping duo! He just picked up our 2014 3010RE on Friday and brought it home. Of course, it has a lot of features (under statement) that our old 2005 Kustom Koach pull type did not have. One of them is the leveling system, which I will be responsible for operating. I'm hoping someone out there will have some types and tricks to share with me before I have to operate it in 4 days! If I kind of know what I'm doing it might save a lot loud discussions that could occur at the campsite!
Thanks in advance!:D

porthole

Retired
2nd, never hit auto level unless the truck & tailgate is completely clear of the trailer and-or pin box.

Auto retract should not do any damage if not connected to the truck, excluding items under the trailer.

Auto level with the truck to close can damage either the truck, trailer or both.

danemayer

Things to know in advance:

• In manual mode, minimize operation of a single jack to avoid putting a twisting stress on the frame.

• Auto retract is not intended to be used when unhitched. Before pressing the ENTER button, double check what mode you're entering.
  • Do not use the AUTO button while hitched.
  • If you use the rear jacks to lift the wheels off the ground for maintenance, you'll generally want to be hitched up, and before getting under the trailer to work, block the frame so a hydraulic failure doesn't result in injury.
  • You'll get more lift if you put blocks under the jacks before trying to lift the wheels off the ground.
  • The hydraulic pump uses a lot of power and depends on having a good battery charge. If you run the battery down while boondocking, you'll have a problem operating the jacks to hitch up to the truck. If you have a generator that requires battery power to start, when you don't have enough for the pump, you probably won't have enough to start the genny. You'll have to hook the truck up and run the engine on high idle for a while to get enough charge to start the genny and go from there.
  • If the truck is not perfecting aligned when you back it up to hitch up, sometimes you can correct an inch or two by raising or lowering the jacks on one side.

porthole

Retired
Things to know in advance: In manual mode, minimize operation of a single jack to avoid putting a twisting stress on the frame.
Unless there is a programming problem, the system is designed to not twist the frame. Lifting one side will be limited to a set # of degrees out from side to side, approximately 2 degrees. You will get an "excess angle" error message if you try and exceed that limit.
Auto retract is not intended to be used when unhitched. Before pressing the ENTER button, double check what mode you're entering.
Correct, but will not hurt it, unless you do not have an all clear around the trailer. The Lippert Techs did this frequently this past weekend changing out fluid.
Do not use the AUTO button while hitched.
No reason you can't do this and we do it whenever we are staying hooked up for a single night stay. Although, the system will try and lower the coach first, so if you don't already have the landing gear down with a little extra lift the control can take longer due to confusion. One key point with any of the "auto operations", any operation can be instantly stopped by hitting any of the buttons. This will set the control into a "panic mode" and must be acknowledged before proceeding.
The hydraulic pump uses a lot of power and depends on having a good battery charge. If you run the battery down while boondocking, you'll have a problem operating the jacks to hitch up to the truck.
The control panel is very sensitive to voltage. I had a long discussion about this with the tech that was working on our trailer. This is not unique to my rig. I wish I had remembered this when we were in session. While operating my pump with the fluid additive, we frequently got a low voltage error. I have a digital volt meter at my batteries and was able to confrim that the voltage was good while the pump was under an extension load. 12.5/12.6 volts at the battery versus less then 12 at the control. The tech is supposed to bring this up with Bob T.

MGMiller

Thanks everyone for the points. As soon as the Farmer comes home with the truck we will do a few trial runs!

Doreen