Tire and axle failure in 2011 BRS28 - HELP!!!!!!!!!

RanCarr

Chances are the new axles will solve your problem. I'd still buy some better tires (D rated Maxxis)

Thanks, we do plan to replace the ruined tires with better ones.

(Don't overload your Equalizer hitch as that can place too much weight on your trailer axles.)

I don't understand what you mean. It's set so the TT and the TV are both level on level ground.

RanCarr

RanCarr,

I have the same problem with my 2011 North Trail 28BRS. Actually, my axles are getting replaced this upcoming week. Lippert covered 3 hours of labor, new axles, upgraded 3" tubes, and all hardware needed to complete the job. The Dealer just has to transfer over my brake assemblies. They are also giving me partial credit for 4 new tires as well.

They wont give us partial credit for the tires. We're stuck for replacing them. We're having some trouble finding a place to do the work for us. What do you mean "upgraded 3" tubes." Doesn't the BRS28 come with 3" tubes?

I will tell you this (and I told Heartland and Lippert this as well), I will be under my trailer with a level after each trip I make. Lets just keep our fingers crossed that they don't bend and I won't have to talk to Heartland or Lippert again about this.

That's good and a good idea. I bet they will indeed bend. Ours lasted for 3000 Interstate miles. And that LIGHTLY loaded at that. We couldn't overload it if we wanted to due to the TV being a GMC 1500. I have little hope this is going to permanently fix the problem. Heartland gets off the hook because it's past the 1 yr warranty. Lippert will make the same claim... where does that leave us? You can't believe how bitterly disappointed we are with this BRS28. :( We thought this would be our last TT. That we would keep it until we could no longer camp and snow-bird, but we're now considering selling it and buying something else.... in my heart I feel replacing the axles that bent with the same axels frm Lippert will just set us up for the same problem in 2 to 3000 miles.

I also know for sure, that I do not overload my trailer. Ever! So we will just have to see what the future holds!

Let's keep in touch. We're waiting to hear back from someone with the information as to where we can take it to get fixed.

RanCarr

I've seen quite a few bent axle threads here and over at RV.net as well, mainly Lippert . I too have bent axles on a 7 month old North Trail. Heartland gave me the run around and pretty much told me I wasn't qualified to determine that the axles were bent and to take it to a Heartland approved shop for them to take pics and measurements.

Good grief! Another person with the same problem. I can so relate to what you're going through. Heartland was very nice, but simply passed the buck to Lippert. And the more I read about Lippert the sicker I'm getting. After extensive reading last night, I don't care what anyone says, these Lippert axles should not be put on these larger TTs. Save them for the tiny ultra-lightweight 16' TTs. With all the complaints about bent axles, it sickens me that RV mfgs would use them. I can tell you right now, we will NEVER purchase another TT that as Lippert axles.

And they wont have a professional haul it either. We have to haul it ourselves in the condition it's in, despite the HL CS man telling us not to move it ourselves.

I live in my North Trail full time which makes it tough to just "go to the shop". Anyhoo, I called Lippert, sent them pics I took and a few other measurements they wanted and whenever I'm ready they'll send the axles and parts to a shop of my choosing which will be in May.

That's what they told us also, but with so many RV places closing where we live we're having a hard time finding a place to take it.

I wanted to add that my axles look exactly like yours in the pic RanCarr and I am not over weight, my GVW is 6,900 and I scale out at 6,200.

Neither Lippert or HL accused us of going over the weight limit, and I believe you 100%. We only use our NT for snow-birding in FL, 1,200 mi round trip, and we camp a few times in the summer. The CG at the lake is a 28 mile round-trip. We have always carried only what is essential. I know some RVs look like Hoarder's homes. It makes you wonder how they don't break an axle or get blowouts.

TeJay

We also experienced TT's that were built on the edge. We are on our third and we think we've decided to go back to a motor home. I've got a lot of experience teaching in the mechanical field. I also worked in steel mills and auto factories in Detroit. We've all seen how the auto industry handles safety issues and recalls. If it's safety related they notify you if it's performance related they will fix things if you ask. I know it's always about the bottom line. Here's what I believe is happening. It's been mentioned that the tongue weight is being handled by the TV. That is true but you know weight is still weight. Either the truck or the trailer is dealing with it and in a marginal stopping situation it's pushing the envelope. Here's another factor. Most vehicles that are purchased are usually used daily. I don't know the exact statistics but I'll bet it's something like this. Probably 70% or more trailers are purchased, used for a few seasons, then parked by the side of the barn or garage and sit most of the time. The industry wonders why spend the $$$ to build something that sits most of its life??? Now enter the full timers and today's larger population of retiree's using those campers a lot more and bingo the equation changes. How do they handle it??? Improve their QC and make a better camper, especially the larger 5th-wheels and popular units for full timers. Or maybe wait until the customer complains a lot and maybe fix it or maybe not. Out of warranty!!! To bad. Ask yourself this question. If the industry was really concerned with safety why are they still using drum brakes???? Disc brakes are much, much, much better at stopping. Heck it wasn't but just a few years ago that Dexter started using self-adjusting brakes and our first camper using Lippert still did not have self-adjusting brakes. Come on they have been around since the 60's. We are very disappointed in travel trailers and their construction.
TeJay

RanCarr

We also experienced TT's that were built on the edge. We are on our third and we think we've decided to go back to a motor home. I've got a lot of experience teaching in the mechanical field. I also worked in steel mills and auto factories in Detroit. We've all seen how the auto industry handles safety issues and recalls. If it's safety related they notify you if it's performance related they will fix things if you ask. I know it's always about the bottom line. Here's what I believe is happening. It's been mentioned that the tongue weight is being handled by the TV. That is true but you know weight is still weight.

There you go! :) And hitting dips in the road etc, or having to crawl over RR tracks is inevitable. All that weight comes down on the axles/tires no matter how careful people are not to overload or how carefully they cross things like RR tracks. Few roads are as dead level and dead straight as they are in AZ and some other mid-west and western states. We wanted this NT to last as long as we continued to camping, traveling and snow-birding so you can imagine how we babied it. And look what happened.... :(

Either the truck or the trailer is dealing with it and in a marginal stopping situation it's pushing the envelope. Here's another factor. Most vehicles that are purchased are usually used daily. I don't know the exact statistics but I'll bet it's something like this. Probably 70% or more trailers are purchased, used for a few seasons, then parked by the side of the barn or garage and sit most of the time. The industry wonders why spend the $$$ to build something that sits most of its life???

I don't think they would care where it ended up as long as they sell units. It's a business after all. They also have to realize that most TTs (RVs) will change hands if the buyer moves up or down.. or if it's the right "fit" the buyer will keep it for a long long time. The new owners will then repeat the cycle until the TT is beyond use or value. But yes, some I'm sure end up parked next to the barn where they rot into the ground. But by then they've pretty much had it.

Now enter the full timers and today's larger population of retiree's using those campers a lot more and bingo the equation changes. How do they handle it??? Improve their QC and make a better camper, especially the larger 5th-wheels and popular units for full timers. Or maybe wait until the customer complains a lot and maybe fix it or maybe not. Out of warranty!!! To bad.

But word spreads, people talk, there's the internet today, there are RV Forums.... and reputation means a lot if you want to stay in business. Do you think we would have bought this unit had we known all the problems with the Lippert axles? We bought it to enjoy it, not have to take it to a shop and get it fixed - then worry when the same thing will happen again. I know us, we're careful and will be nervously checking the axles and tires at every rest stop we stop at. There is nothing else we can eliminate to lighten the load on these axles other than not taking anything with us but a suitcase of clothing each, a loaf of bread and container of milk. We're going to have to decide whether we keep this NT or sell it now. Replacing the axles with better ones means replacing other things as well and we're looking at putting another $5,000 with labor in to it. TTs should not have to be upgraded at the owner's expense after -3000 miles. They should come with the proper axles.

Ask yourself this question. If the industry was really concerned with safety why are they still using drum brakes???? Disc brakes are much, much, much better at stopping. Heck it wasn't but just a few years ago that Dexter started using self-adjusting brakes and our first camper using Lippert still did not have self-adjusting brakes. Come on they have been around since the 60's. We are very disappointed in travel trailers and their construction.
TeJay

TeJay, I tell you honestly. I agree with your 100%. I see no concern for the safety of those who bought these larger TTs with inadequate axles. HL tells us not to move it in the condition it's in, but Lippert will not have someone haul it to be fixed. So we either let it sit in our driveway until it rots into the ground, or we take the chance and drive it to wherever we can find a place to do the work on it. I can assure you this will never happen to us again. I'm going to do some research online and see what I can find about other 28' TTs with similar floor plans and weight, and see what their axels are rated. This NT isn't worth our lives. I'd as soon take a loss on it, sell it, and buy something safer.

RanCarr

Re: Tire and axel failure in 2011 BRS28 - HELP!!!!!!!!!

RanCarr,
Mine is a long story, covered several times on the forum. From my first flat axle I thought Lippert had defective axles probably from a certain production period. Now I upgraded to 8K axles from 7K and all is good. Having my rig weighed, I was never over weight. Probably their production problems are behind them.
Good Luck.

The upgrade is too expensive for our BRS28 as other things would also have to be replaced if the axles are upgraded and that's going to run, with labor, in the area of $4,000 aprox.

RanCarr

Re: Tire and axel failure in 2011 BRS28 - HELP!!!!!!!!!

RanCarr:
In previous years, Heartland owners who had significant Lippert product problems have had on-site service calls done by a mobile Lippert employee.

Hi again, they will not make an on-site call. They want us to find a Service place with a lic mechanic to do the work and they'll send him or her the replacement axles. They wont add anything toward the tires ruined by their defective axles, nor will HL.

Despite what one poster posted, HL owners have indeed had problems with Lippert products.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I don't understand what you mean. It's set so the TT and the TV are both level on level ground.[/QUOTE]

Does your rear trailer axle look more bent than the front?
The hitch Equalizer removes weight from the hitch area and transfers that weight to the rear of your trailer and front of your truck. The inital hitch/ ball heights should be set before the trailer is hooked-up to your truck. Overloading the Eq. bars to make things level could cause problems if the system wasn't set-up correctly from the start.

RanCarr

I don't understand what you mean. It's set so the TT and the TV are both level on level ground.

Both the TT and the Tow Vehicle are supposed to be level when towing. That's pretty well known. The TT should not be nose up or nose down when being towed. The tow vehicle (TV) should not be squatting.

Does your rear trailer axle look more bent than the front?

Yes, but the damage to the tires are all the same.

The hitch Equalizer removes weight from the hitch area and transfers that weight to the rear of your trailer and front of your truck.

Yes, we know that. This is our 3rd TT. :)

The inital hitch/ ball heights should be set before the trailer is hooked-up to your truck. Overloading the Eq. bars to make things level could cause problems if the system wasn't set-up correctly from the start.

The system was set up originally by the dealer in Elkhart where the TT was picked up. Both are level when being towed.

RanCarr

Lippert came through.... we just received an email that they will ship the 5200 lbs beams with 3500 spindles. We're very happy about this and will feel much safer on the roads once they're installed. Now as for the replacement tires. Do you people replace your own or have a RV shop do it? Do they need to be aligned in some way?

TeJay

Very glad to hear that somebody stepped up to the plate for you. Treating customers in a reasonable manner will get you a lot more points than not. If you have 15" rims you'll have a better choice for a higher load rating. The Maxxis tire by Goodyear is supposed to be good. What I did was take the tires and rims to a tire shop and have them installed and of course balanced.

Happy traveling
TeJay

wdk450

RanCarr:
Most of us do not replace our own tires as they need to be mounted on the rims at a tire shop. I go to a regular tire shop. Get your tire size numbers and call around. If your rig is immobile you can either call a tire shop with a mobile truck (like a truck tire service company), or remove the tires one at a time and ferry them to the tire shop for re-mounting.
There is no special alignment to be done on the trailer chassis when replacing tires. Whoever puts on your new axles should do an alignment, maybe just by tape measurements from the tires to the king pin. There is an ongoing debate on whether trailer tires need to be balanced (they aren't from the manufacturer). My take is that it doesn't cost that much, isn't harmful, and may be of some benefit.

RanCarr

Very glad to hear that somebody stepped up to the plate for you. Treating customers in a reasonable manner will get you a lot more points than not. If you have 15" rims you'll have a better choice for a higher load rating. The Maxxis tire by Goodyear is supposed to be good. What I did was take the tires and rims to a tire shop and have them installed and of course balanced.

Happy traveling
TeJay

We are quite satisfied that Lippert will replace the axles and spindles. Customer satisfaction and safety are important for any business. You can be sure we'll tell everyone Lippert stood behind their product.

We will definitely look in to the Maxxis tire by Goodyear. Safety is our first consideration and good tires add to that. :)

RanCarr

RanCarr:
Most of us do not replace our own tires as they need to be mounted on the rims at a tire shop. I go to a regular tire shop. Get your tire size numbers and call around. If your rig is immobile you can either call a tire shop with a mobile truck (like a truck tire service company), or remove the tires one at a time and ferry them to the tire shop for re-mounting.
There is no special alignment to be done on the trailer chassis when replacing tires. Whoever puts on your new axles should do an alignment, maybe just by tape measurements from the tires to the king pin. There is an ongoing debate on whether trailer tires need to be balanced (they aren't from the manufacturer). My take is that it doesn't cost that much, isn't harmful, and may be of some benefit.

Thank you for that information. We wont even try to replace the tires ourselves and do want them balanced if possible so they wear more evenly. We're hoping to have all the work done at one place. We have one more place to call today.... I hope we get the NT back in time to do some camping at the lake before it gets too hot.

After looking at the pictures of your axles I wonder if installing the springs on top of the axles would help at all. I've been thinking of doing that to my 21FBS to gain more ground clearance. After looking at those pictures I wonder if I should weld on trusses to help support the center section of the axle also, something similar to what four wheeler do to there jeeps. all my plans for my TT are on hold for now because I am dealing with HL with my trailers front fiberglass panel delaminating. If they don't step up and at least help with the repairs I will be getting rid of it. Good luck with your axles.
Wes.

RanCarr

After looking at the pictures of your axles I wonder if installing the springs on top of the axles would help at all. I've been thinking of doing that to my 21FBS to gain more ground clearance.

This TT really needs ground clearance. We added the heavy duty dolly wheels and had to add a few hundred dollars worth of gravel to get it in and out of our driveway. The Sunline and Zinger was not a problem where height is concerned. Without the dolly wheels the rear of the NT-BRS TT would be a mess by now.

After looking at those pictures I wonder if I should weld on trusses to help support the center section of the axle also, something similar to what four wheeler do to there jeeps. all my plans for my TT are on hold for now because I am dealing with HL with my trailers front fiberglass panel delaminating. If they don't step up and at least help with the repairs I will be getting rid of it. Good luck with your axles.
Wes.

Thank you Wes, I hope they come through for you.

RuralPastor

We will definitely look in to the Maxxis tire by Goodyear. Safety is our first consideration and good tires add to that. :)[/QUOTE]

FYI, Maxxis is not a Goodyear product. They're a stand alone company. Their tires are easy to find. We run Maxxis on our Caliber/North Trail and love them. I upgraded to 6,000# Henderson axles/springs and Load Range E tires. Blessings, Mark.

RanCarr

RanCarr,

I have the same problem with my 2011 North Trail 28BRS. Actually, my axles are getting replaced this upcoming week. Lippert covered 3 hours of labor, new axles, upgraded 3" tubes, and all hardware needed to complete the job. The Dealer just has to transfer over my brake assemblies. They are also giving me partial credit for 4 new tires as well.

Lippert shipped the heavier axles and they were installed by an RV shop not to far from us. We brought the BRS home today on the bad tires as they didn't have the tires my husband wanted. One tire was going FLAT by the time we got home. 15 minutes later it collapsed. :mad: Lippert will not give us a dime toward replacement tires, nor will Heartland (now owned by Keystone I was told). They paid for only 3 hours labor and we were stuck for the rest = around $250. The bearings had to be repacked and the brakes adjusted etc. It couldn't be done in 3 hours. The RV repair place is still replacing bent axles on Heartland RVs, including Big Horns we were told. This is apparently an ongoing problem with the axles HL is installing on their RVs. They had a small pile of bent axles there outside the shop. We have the BRS home, so now we have to find new tires for it. This was a large expense we were not expecting.

I will tell you this (and I told Heartland and Lippert this as well), I will be under my trailer with a level after each trip I make. Lets just keep our fingers crossed that they don't bend and I won't have to talk to Heartland or Lippert again about this.

Isn't this disheartening? :( We spend the money on what we think is a good product, a NEW product, and come to find out it has a serious and potentially dangerous problem. Had I known this would happen we would have bought a used 28' TT for half the price. I mean, keep in mind we had almost the same stuff in the BRS that we had in the 15.5' Sunline with only one axle, and put well over 4000 miles on that old 1983 TT with not one problem. Similar can be said for the 19' Zinger. The only thing we've added since then is the small portable satellite dish, 4 cats and 2 kitty litter pans and the WDH. We really like this BRS's layout. It's perfect for us. We don't want to sell it. We'll do what we can to make it safe for the road. I hope he can find the better tires he's looking for and can safely put them on himself. He's almost 70 yrs old and suffers from arthritis. We simply cannot afford to pay more labor charges and as I said, Lippert and HL will not help with the tires.

I also know for sure, that I do not overload my trailer. Ever! So we will just have to see what the future holds!

I know ours wasn't either. It's most of the stuff moved over from the little one axle Sunline, then the 19' Zinger. Most of the storage areas in the BRS are empty. We have nothing to put in them. Under the bed and dinette seats are also empty. I can't reach the cabinets over the bed so that space is almost empty. When we go camping locally our tanks are empty. When we go to FL we carry no more than 15 to 20 gallons of water to dry-camp for 2 nights. All we carry are necessities plus some paperback books for when it rains. The less we carry the easier it is for me to keep the place neat and tidy. :) I can't stand clutter. The less stuff we have the less gas we use, and the less of a load on our 13 yr old GMC 1500.

The Lipperts on the BRS now are much heavier, thicker and look like they'll work much better. But you can be sure we too will check the tires and axles at every rest stop. Maybe we'll both do OK with our RVs now. :) Geeze, let's hope so. ;)

jbeletti

RanCarr,

Heartland RVs is NOT owned by Keystone. Keystone, Heartland, Airstream and others are owned by Thor Industries. This is not the same as one subsidiary owning the other.