Tire Blowout

Cooper

Fenner, Sorry that's not what I meant. I was reffering to what Shawn said not that my tires where under rated. I know they are not and you and I discussed this around the first of the week. I really appreciate you looking into the issue. Thanks

Cooper

Well I sent all my info to Kelly at Tredit Tire 10-17-07. I think she will handle the issue of the Trail America tires.

FennerJ said:
We do not now and never have under-rated our tires on our coaches. The Landmarks with the Trail America tires on them are well within the specified weight that they should be. A common mistake that is made is that nobody takes into account is the hitch weight. That weight needs to be subtracted from the GVWR because the tow vehicle is absorbing that weight not the tires.

With that said I am going to give an example with numbers that pertain to the Landmark Golden Gate. The GVWR is 16,000 lbs. and the hitch weight is 2,290 lbs. What you actually have riding on your tires fully loaded is a max weight of 13,710 lbs. The Trail America tires are each rated for 3,750 lbs. with a combined rating of 15,000 lbs. As you can see the weight rating of the tires is well above what is needed for this unit and the weight that is riding on these tires.

All that I can say is that Trail America does not know what they are talking about, because, their facts are not accurate as I have just proven above. I made contact with our supplier Tredit Tire pertaining to the problems we are having with JCA and they have agreed to handle all warranty themselves only on the JCA (Trail America) tires. If any of you have a warranty problem with the Trail America brand tire call Tredit tire at 574-293-0581 and ask for Kelly in customer service and she is aware that she will be dealing with all Trail America problems as we are getting next to no help from JCA.

Cooper

Well its been 10 days and no response from Kelly at Tredit. I called her at the first of the week and left a message :mad: no response. I have just emailed her and will check the next few days to see if I get a response from her.

Cooper

This is the response I recieved from Kelly.

Please be patient in that the president of Tredit Tire is reviewing all Trail America claims at this time. He is out of the office all week but will be emailing me with the direction we will be taking to resolve this and all the other issues we have before us concerning the Trail America tires on Heartland units.
I will be in touch as soon as I get the word as to what the outcome will be.
Thanks,
Kelly

bking

We had a right rear tire blowout a couple weeks ago on our '07 Golden Gate. Less than 4000 miles on them. I checked pressure on all four tires about an hour before the blowout. Our tires are Winland BCTJB43 LT235/85R16.

Damage is around $2000. Most of it is to the skirting on the slideout and the wheel well cover. I had to splice the wiring under the slideout also.

I know the Winlands are made in Japan. Are they experiencing the same volume of problems as the Trail Americas I read so much about?

Cooper

Finally Tredit Tire payed off on my Trail America Tires. I went from Heartland which sent me to JCA (Shawn) after weeks with him. Shawn :mad: sent me to Tredit (Kelly) and after a few weeks she sent me to Star Tire. Star Tire :mad: gave me the run around for a month then sent me to Shawn @ JCA. Then JCA sent me back to Tredit (Kelly). I talked to Kelly;) again and they decided to pay off. It was a long drawn out process but, thank goodness its finaly over.
I could not have gotten this done with out the guys at Heartland Thanks. ;) None :) :rolleyes:
PS I have 4 Trail America Tires For Sale Cheap and a HO HO HO to all.

bking

The two left side tires blew out a few days apart on the way back from Arizona earlier this month. I replaced the fourth original tire when I replaced the third blow out. I haven't repaired the damage on the left side yet. Since the damage appears to be mainl limited to skirting damage, I hope to get parts and do the work myself.

On a positive note, I now have four new tires and am getting pretty quick at changing tires along the interstate!

SmokeyBare

I've joined the long list of those having a tire fail. In my case the tire never lost pressure... but I'm sure it would have eventually. The tread came completely off the tire, wrapping around the back side of the axle hub. The brand was Karrier Load Star ST235/80/R16 Rated "E"

The only clue to trouble was my brake controller showed a short... flashing the message. I pulled off the highway only to discover the damaged tire. I changed the tire, removing the tread from around the axle and brake drum and repaired with electrical tape where the insulation was damaged on the brake wire.

I was able to make it to Albuquerque NM... where I purchased 5 Goodyear G614 tires. 235/85/16 RST Rated "G"

Since then I've called Kenda USA for a claim number... and have called a couple dealers down the road to get prices and decide where I will get the RV repaired.

All in the day of a full timer....

StevieWonder

Man, this tire stuff is out of control. There HAS to be a better answer. Not all of us have the option of upgrading the load rating and going with Goodyears ... we have 15" rims with LIMITED alternatives unless we cough up for a new set of 16" rims AND tires.

Delaine and Lindy

I follow the Montana forum and they are having prolems with the Mission tires, seems like everyday there are more blow outs. The CHEAP China made bombs aren't any good. Thank goodness I have G614's. Just returned home about a hour ago and the G614's ran cool all day. GBY....

StevieWonder

Anybody used LT (Light Truck) rated tires with a proper load rating ??? They don't seem to have these problems IF you can get them to fit AND they have enough load rating to do the job.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've joined the long list of those having a tire fail. In my case the tire never lost pressure... but I'm sure it would have eventually. The tread came completely off the tire, wrapping around the back side of the axle hub. The brand was Karrier Load Star ST235/80/R16 Rated "E"

The only clue to trouble was my brake controller showed a short... flashing the message. I pulled off the highway only to discover the damaged tire. I changed the tire, removing the tread from around the axle and brake drum and repaired with electrical tape where the insulation was damaged on the brake wire.

I was able to make it to Albuquerque NM... where I purchased 5 Goodyear G614 tires. 235/85/16 RST Rated "G"

Since then I've called Kenda USA for a claim number... and have called a couple dealers down the road to get prices and decide where I will get the RV repaired.

All in the day of a full timer....
Quite a coinkydink Marv, Our Bighorns came off the line within a few days of each other and we both had tire failures within a couple weeks of each other. Both were Karriers. Fortunately, I found the bubble before it burst. I read something in an earlier post that Kenda wouldn't do anything for tires over a year old. I hope you have luck with them. I didn't keep any of the old tires. I didn't feel like going through the potential aggravation dealing with Kenda. You on the other hand have damage that they may take care of.

SmokeyBare

Ray,

I send today, the requested information to Kenda USA. I have been told that the tires do fall inside the warranty range... being under 2 years from when they were made.

I have been told by Roger Ansel who handles the Warranty issues... they will not pay for any damage to the RV. Kenda will only pay for the one tire... the one that failed... and that amount will need to be pro rated for wear.

I have also investigated the Extended Warranty that was provided by the Dealer when I bought my BigHorn. This warranty does not cover physical damage... and does not cover tires.

I know I have coverage with my Insurance for the RV. I selected a $500.00 dollar deductible. I have been very lucky for the estimates are between $ 500.00 to $ 700.00 range....

This Insurance policy has a declining deductible... so if I decided claim the damage to the RV... I will lose the benefit of the declining part of the deductible. I won't claim this on my insurance... My hope is, the repairs will be within the range I was told...

It's just a shame to have damage that runs often into the $$ Thousands of Dollars $$... happen to so many Rv'ers.

Reading the posts... and the explanations of the possible causes... I can say these tires were filled to the proper pressure, they had no scuffs, cuts, scrapes on them. No bubbles or indications of any problems.

The tire that failed had it's tread stripped off the inflated casing. Pressure Pro would have not helped in my case. The tire was on the rear of the RV... Road side... I don't believe it could have been road trash that caused this failure... for the tire in front of it was not damaged. I couldn't detect if the cords had rust on them... as it ran on those metal cords until I discovered my brake controller flashing a warning of a short... caused by the tire tread which was wrapped about the brake hub... pressing against the brake wire.

I also know as I drive the highways and roads across this beautiful country of ours... there are thousands of pieces of tires laying along those very roads... RV'ers not alone with this problem.

kajers

Jerry Smith

Don't know if this is the right place to put this, so here goes. Last November while putting my tire covers on I noticed a burst area on one of
my 2008 3670RL tires with only 2,100 miles on it. I initally thought it was
from a road hazard, but upon replacing with a new tire, found out it was a
sidewall separation. Long story to short, it was a Goldway brand, provided by Tredit Tire. Have been monitoring the remaining four tires and
had a small bulge develope on one, but it appears to have gone away.
I am wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this brand of
tires? Up to this point it has been very frustrating. Thanks.

beardedone

Beardedone
Has anybody thought about putting nitrogen in the tires. I hear it is supposed to stabilize the pressure more so it doesn't increase when the tire is hot which might reduce "bombs". I just bought a new truck and the dealer put nitrogen in it before he sold it to me for that reason.

Forrest Fetherolf

Information of Nitrogen in tires.

http://getnitrogen.org/

It might be very good investment for the cheap tires on RVs. I agree that high tire temperature will cause increase tire pressure and failure. The Trail America "G" rated tire weighed 22lbs less than the GoodYear G614. Less mass and less strength = Boom!!!!!!!!!!!

Forrest

kkamshop

Just an FYI, we were at Heartland last weekend looking at a couple of new fresh off the line Landmarks and they had Goodyears 614s on them.

Delaine and Lindy

We got our Landmark in Feb, its a 2009 and it came equiped with the Goodyear G614's. They was a big point for me of course Delaine liked the kitchen. We were getting ready to PDI our 2009 Bighorn and decided to go with the Landmark. I then had to cancel the order on the G614's that I was going to replace the Freestar tires that were on the Bighorn. So that saved us over a $1,000.00 which took a $1,000.00 off the Landmark. I have used the G614's on our last 5th wheel and think for that size tire they are about the best option for a good set of tires. GBY...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This is exactly the reason I replace the tires on my new 3400RE. I have read on many forums about the problem with tires, from Carlile tires to Mission and many other tires being of low quality from China. We know that Mfgrs are placing low quality tires to reduce cost and unless we do something to change this it will continue. We can pay more for a new unit or as I did when we get the unit replace the tires immediately with something we can depend on.

I took my new Bighorn to Discount Tire and had Michelin tires mounted on all five rims and added metal valve stems. It cost me about $1200, but that would be better than having a tire blow on the road and damage my 5er, have to pay more to repair it as well as the time and stress.

That is about the same as when I purchased my 2006 F250 new. It came with Pirelli Scorpion Tires. These tires were made of very soft rubber and one had a hole in the tire where the rubber did not fill up the edge of the tread. Had them replaced with Michilen tires also.

It is not that I have a lot of money to replace the tires. I don't have the money to replace the tire, repair the damage it caused, loss of time waiting for repairs and stress. That is why I am retired. No stress. Hospitals cost even more than repairing my trailer and tires.