Tire info

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Maybe I am just over thinking things but here is my question, are the 235 85 R16 E rated tires enough for our trailers? Is it just that tomax is that bad in that size? My dilemma is what tire to buy as our rig is 15k gvwr with 2 7k axles and the pin weight is 2055. So if i did the math right and each tire is rated for 3420 @ 80 psi, we have about 740 pds of wiggle room with cargo in the trailer. The G rated tires are 3750 @ 110 psi giving us 2055 pds of way over the gvwr wiggle room. If I am figuring this right. I would have zero problems getting a set of g rated Sailun's but they are an inch bigger than what we have now and we have less than an inch clearance between the tire and the steps now. So if I were to get some Maxxis 8008 load range E would that be good enough? Obviously I am trying to keep my money in my pocket but if need be the G 614's will go on. I just do not like twice the price... Anyway any advice from you tire gurus will be appreciated.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Maxxis has a good reputation. If they meet your requirements and the size and price are right, go with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
When measuring tire diameter you add only 1/2" to each side...not 1". The GY will only be 1" total for 2 tires. The Sailuns would be a good choice and cheaper than GY. You can never have too much tire..JMHO

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have had good luck with our Maxxis, except that the tread wore more quickly than we expected (about 3 years). Our trailer is 14,350GVWR. When time to buy new, we bought Maxxis again. I think if we get into lots of travel and still have this rig, the next set I'll up wheels and go with Sailuns. It's also hard to keep the speed below 65 (because of the ST tire speed rating) when speed limits are 70 and 75.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I appreciate all of the advice and opinions. I am headed out the door to see if I can get either locally. My biggest concern is durability and obviously the blowmax do not fit the bill. As I have read how they test tires, especially trailer tires, I do not believe in the 65 mph speed rating. Not saying we will be doing over that but they do not test tires to even 80 percent of their capacity to get that rating. Guess I will head out and play lets make a deal!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I contacted Discount Tire, which ordered them for me. Took about 3 days. They sell them on their website (which is priced differently than the local store), so I had them match the online price. Make sure you ask for full metal valve stems.

TireHobby

Maybe I am just over thinking things but here is my question, are the 235 85 R16 E rated tires enough for our trailers? Is it just that tomax is that bad in that size? My dilemma is what tire to buy as our rig is 15k gvwr with 2 7k axles and the pin weight is 2055. So if i did the math right and each tire is rated for 3420 @ 80 psi, we have about 740 pds of wiggle room with cargo in the trailer. The G rated tires are 3750 @ 110 psi giving us 2055 pds of way over the gvwr wiggle room. If I am figuring this right. I would have zero problems getting a set of g rated Sailun's but they are an inch bigger than what we have now and we have less than an inch clearance between the tire and the steps now. So if I were to get some Maxxis 8008 load range E would that be good enough? Obviously I am trying to keep my money in my pocket but if need be the G 614's will go on. I just do not like twice the price... Anyway any advice from you tire gurus will be appreciated.
Even though you physically have 2 7000# axles, I think Heartland has derated them to something around 6750#. The reference below is from a Heartland model very close to yours in GVWR and the axles are derated to 6750# ea.. The Towmax tires are rated at 3520# at 80 psi. But, other like sized ST tires are rated at 3420# and it would be a violation of federal regulations for Heartland to recommend tires rated below the axle capacity. So they must derate them or provide detailed tire replacement information in the trailer’s owner’s manual to prevent the use of replacement tires with less than 3500# of load capacity.
IMO the OE tires will not last very long on your trailer when fully loaded for the road.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=20840

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Even though you physically have 2 7000# axles, I think Heartland has derated them to something around 6750#. The reference below is from a Heartland model very close to yours in GVWR and the axles are derated to 6750# ea.. The Towmax tires are rated at 3520# at 80 psi. But, other like sized ST tires are rated at 3420# and it would be a violation of federal regulations for Heartland to recommend tires rated below the axle capacity. So they must derate them or provide detailed tire replacement information in the trailer’s owner’s manual to prevent the use of replacement tires with less than 3500# of load capacity.
IMO the OE tires will not last very long on your trailer when fully loaded for the road.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=20840

Doesn't matter what the TowMax (aka - BlowMKax) tires are rated for . . . get rid of them ASAP if you have them!

These tires are like hand grenades waiting to go off . . . !

Don't even think about it any longer . . . just get rid of those BlowMax tires before they get rid of you!

You'll be glad you did . . .

avvidclif

Careful on the Micheli XPS Ribs in LT235/85-16 they are load rated for 3042 lbs, a bit light for 7k axles.

danemayer

Its difficult to believe the Good Year 614 tires are the only choice we have for our Landmarks.

Goodyear G614 are load range G tires on 16" rims, as are Sailun S637s which have a good reputation. Many of us with Landmarks have gone to load range H tires on 17.5" rims. If you go with Goodyear, that would be the G114. There are many other good choices for 17.5" rims.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Food for thought all comments. I was finally able to get underneath and see my rims are stamped at 110 psi so that helps in making my decision. I am definitely liking the Sailun load capacity.

Gaffer

Weigh your rig. If the loaded weight on the rear axles is around 10k as it was on my BH3055RL when we were full timing, you will have plenty of reserve capacity with the Maxxis. Maxxis makes great tires.

huntur

Food for thought all comments. I was finally able to get underneath and see my rims are stamped at 110 psi so that helps in making my decision. I am definitely liking the Sailun load capacity.
We put 7000 miles on our Big Horn 3270 since last April with Sailens . No problems at all.

Tool958

We've got two trips to Sturgis, SD on the Sailuns. Before that, we replaced tires the two trips before to there and Yellowstone. The first year we had to replace the Blowmaxes. Then we had Coopers and were assured we wouldn't have to worry again about anymore blowouts. Had a bulge develop on one of the Coopers just like the Blowmaxes. With the Sailuns, they don't heat up and so far, no problems at all. They are a bit rougher riding tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk