Tire Inspection on the Dealer lot

Huggy

I'm new to the entire TT thing however, we are looking at several new models. With all of the problems I read of Towmax tires, what should I do if I find the "trailer for me" with these tires? I don't want to spend thousands for a trailer to spend more on tires.

happykraut

I'm new to the entire TT thing however, we are looking at several new models. With all of the problems I read of Towmax tires, what should I do if I find the "trailer for me" with these tires? I don't want to spend thousands for a trailer to spend more on tires.
I would try to work out a swap before the purchase. I doubt the dealer would pass up a sale if you won't buy it because of the tires.

buddyboy

Do the "We like it, but we know these tires are problems, so..." routine. But do NOT buy that with those tires on it - voice of experience.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we traded in our 2013 Trail Runner two months ago, I had just put brand new tires on it two weeks before and they had only 80 miles on them when I dropped it off at the dealership.

The new trailer had BlowMax tires on it, and since they were the same size tires I had the dealership swap them out.

Cost me $200 . . . but a heck of a lot cheaper than having to deal with blow outs down the road.

I will say that the Trail Runner had BlowMax tires on it (still have them stacked on my deck still mounted to the original wheels), and I never had any 'tire' problems with them.

They have around 5000 miles on them.

As for my old Trail Runner, the BlowMax tires that are now on it might just be good tires on it as I had upgraded the tire size from a 'C' range to a 'D' range tire (which is why it also has five new wheels as well) . . . but I guess I'll never know as it was sold two days after it hit the dealers lot.

Miltp920

These quotes are WORDS OF WISDOM

Do the "We like it, but we know these tires are problems, so..." routine. But do NOT buy that with those tires on it - voice of experience.

happykraut wrote
"I would try to work out a swap before the purchase. I doubt the dealer would pass up a sale if you won't buy it because of the tires".

danemayer

The new trailer had BlowMax tires on it, and since they were the same size tires I had the dealership swap them out.

John,

Every time you tell this story, I wonder if the new owner who got your Towmax tires will one day want to have a talk with you. :p

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John,

Every time you tell this story, I wonder if the new owner who got your Towmax tires will one day want to have a talk with you. :p

Well, they are 'D' rated vs the 'C' rated tires that came on it from Heartland.

So they are an upgrade!

Huggy

Walking the lot today, 2/3 of the trailers I looked at had them. Told me that it wouldn't be a problem to swap. So that's one less thing I have to worry about

Gaffer

There are other tires out there just about as bad as the Towmax. Don't settle for anything less than a quality tire.