tire pressure

angel

can someone tell me what tire pressure i should have in my tires there are st235/80r16 I have a sundance 3100es it's gross weight is 13900 after it has been sitting all winter the tires are reading different pressure

jnbhobe

Look at the side of the tire. It will show the maximum presure for the tire and thats the place to run them. I suspect your tires are LR-E,so it should be 80psi.

angel

yes i seen that and it said at 80psi cold, i just thought it would be around 70 psi to allow for when they get warm the pressure would increase ok thanks for the reply

TedS

The manufacturer has allowed for warm up by specifying the cold pressure. No need for you to compensate.

DougS

Doug S
At the FL rally, a Goodyear rep said to run tires to the max that is on the side of the tire. Tires are made to take the extra pressure increase when running.

Birchwood

I always set the tire pressure to what the vehicle recommends.For my truck and car I use the
recommended pressure stated on the door frame drivers side.For the RV I use the recommended
pressure stated on the sticker located usually on the left front panel.
The only way these values would differ is if different replacement tires were installed.

hoefler

I always set the tire pressure to what the vehicle recommends.For my truck and car I use the
recommended pressure stated on the door frame drivers side.For the RV I use the recommended
pressure stated on the sticker located usually on the left front panel.
The only way these values would differ is if different replacement tires were installed.

All I can say is, remember the fiasco that Ford and Firestone had?? Firestone said 36 psi, Ford didn't like the ride so they said 28 psi. Remember what happened?? I would go with the tire manufacturer any day, every day. The manufactures have the engineers that designed and had them built, subsequently they are the experts, not the car, truck, or trailer manufacture.

tmcran

All I can say is, remember the fiasco that Ford and Firestone had?? Firestone said 36 psi, Ford didn't like the ride so they said 28 psi. Remember what happened?? I would go with the tire manufacturer any day, every day. The manufactures have the engineers that designed and had them built, subsequently they are the experts, not the car, truck, or trailer manufacture.

Correct! I had my TV rear tires at 80psi as per max cold rating on tires. I was unhitched to get oil changed. Kid checking tires put in 35psi as per door label needless to say when hooked up tires look almost flat. Had to unhitch and air up tires. My fault for not checking. From that point on when I have anything done to TV tell them DO NOT CHANGE TIRE PRESSURE.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
the pressure ratings on the vehicle are for smoothest ride not based on maximum load. I always go for what is stated on the tire sidewall.

Birchwood

I made a mistake saying use the vehicle recommended tire pressure.On my dually the door tag recommends 65 psi on both front and rear tires.
It was the spare that they recommend have 80 psi.I always run 80 psi in the rear
loaded and unloaded.

TireHobby

I made a mistake saying use the vehicle recommended tire pressure.On my dually the door tag recommends 65 psi on both front and rear tires.
It was the spare that they recommend have 80 psi.I always run 80 psi in the rear
loaded and unloaded.

The correct air pressure for automotive vehicles are very often misunderstood by all that service them. Without getting into a lot of technical jargon the correct tire pressures for your truck's tires will be found depicted on the tire placard. Variations may be found in the owner's manual for loads that are uncommon. Now that's for all OE tires and replacements of the same size.

When reading about tire pressures for your vehicle think of the word "recommended" as saying "correct" because that's what it means.

This statement is undisputed. Vehicle Manufacturers set ALL recommended tire pressures for OE tires.

It's been my experience that pick-up trucks with SRW axles may require increased tire pressures when heavy loads such as a fifth wheel pin weight is added and those pressures will be found on the placard or in the owner's manual. On the other hand, trucks with DRW axles may not require any increases in tire pressures. A simple math check will confirm the load capacity of your tires are sufficient for the actual load. You will need a load inflation chart from the manufacturer of the tires.

My truck is DRW and is equipped with LT235/80R17E tires rated at 3095# at 80 psi. My tire placard depicts 65 psi for all tires. When checking the load inflation chart those tires are rated at 2680# at 65 psi giving me a whopping 10,720 rear axle load capacity (tires).

TireHobby