Tire Pressure

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Bought Goodyear G614 tires. Tire dealer inflated to 80 psi, sidewall says 110. I assume sidewall is correct?

pegmikef

yeah, sidewall is correct. You will find that a lot of dealers, even some tire dealers can't do 110 psi. A lot of them top out at a 100 psi. I had to top mine off as soon as I got it home as they were at the dealer's max of 100 psi. Don't go very far with your tires that low because that is pretty low for G614. Congrats on getting some reliable tires!

brianharrison

Just to check - but I assume the rims are OK for 110#? Maybe dealer was unsure?

Just a thought - I am unfamiliar with Big Country rims and ratings.

Brian

Jim.Allison

The pressure and load rating is casted behind the wheel. If your tire dealer cannot find a load rating on a rim then you need a new tire dealer. He should have never mounted that tire on your rim if it could not be inflated to 110, if it is not a 110 lb rim with 3750 lb load then you now have a rim problem. BUT........My big country came with wheels that were 3750 at 110 psi. So you are probably the same. Can you post a photo of your wheel? I might be able to tell you by looking at it.

To be sure take the last 6 or 8 digits off your vin number and call heartland, tehy will tell you what rims they put on the rig.

Just to check - but I assume the rims are OK for 110#? Maybe dealer was unsure?

Just a thought - I am unfamiliar with Big Country rims and ratings.

Brian

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
ze6e7u6a.jpg
Eric looked. 110. Whew! We're leaving in 12 hours. :)

Jim.Allison

http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com...el-8-Lug-3750-Capacity_p_1540.html?redirect=1

I think this is your wheel.......but its the pressure that is the problem, the wheel must be able to handle the bead. If the bead slips and all teh air comes off it can kill you. This is why you have to be very careful here.

If I were you I would pull a wheel and look at the data CASTED on the back. The manufacturer, the load, and pressure are plainly visible. This is critical.

The reason why they did not inflate beyond 80 psi is because its against their company policy to inflate a tire to 110 without a cage to protect the worker from an exploding rim. When you verify that your rim will handle this your chance of a failure decreases quite a bit. But I recommend a 6 or 10 foot hose with a clip on chuck and a handheld valve so that you can stand away from the tire when inflating to those pressures.

This is what I do. 80 PSI is one thing, but 110 and 125 are serious perssures and many people are killed or injured inflating to these pressures.

It's the 2013 3690 if anyone knows what they were putting on it that year.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
So we're good, though, right? Says 110 on the back of the tire. I will mention the hose to Eric. He keeps buying these dinky little things. :)

Garypowell

The first lesson is getting better tires....then the second is finding out that whatever pump you have is probably too small. There are many 110 Volt and then there is Viar for 12 Volts pumps that will work. Sorry being sarcastic there are probably other 12 Volt....but it seems most use Viar.

danemayer

Bought Goodyear G614 tires. Tire dealer inflated to 80 psi, sidewall says 110. I assume sidewall is correct?

Hi Eric & Alice,

Here's the bad news - Goodyear says for RV tires:
Be safe - if a tire has been run 20% underinflated, it must be dismounted and inspected by a trained professional. It should not be aired up without a full inspection or without using a safety cage. Use a calibrated gauge. If your tire is rated for higher inflation pressures, a special gauge will be required designed for larger tires.

Let's assume your trailer has a GVWR of 15,500 lbs and is fully loaded and close to that weight. Assuming your pin is carrying around 2,500 of that, the tires are carrying 13,000 lbs.

Goodyear's tire inflation tables show that for the G614 (235/85 R16), if you have 13,000 lbs evenly distributed across the tires, they would need a minimum of 90 psi to carry that load. Since RV weight is not distributed evenly, you certainly have one or more tires carrying more than their share and those loads would determine how much air pressure ALL tires need, because they should be inflated the same. So if one tire was carrying an extra 300 lbs, you'd need to inflate all tires to at least 100 psi. That heavy tire would be considered running flat if inflated to 80 psi because it's 20% underinflated.

Do you have tire damage? Maybe. Goodyear says you should have the tires inspected by a trained professional - presumably not the same guy who inflated them to 80 psi.

Internal damage doesn't necessarily show up right away. At some point in the future, long after you've forgotten all about this, a tire may suddenly fail.

Here's a link to the Goodyear information.