Tire replacement - Sizing Question

DGS

I am needing to replace my tires on my BH3400RE. Currently the tires are the ST235/80R16 that are late 2015 vintage. I do not know the history and usage of the tires since I recently purchased the trailer and want to start fresh with new tires. I am looking at changing to 85R16's and am curious if others have done this to gain a little margin and confidence in the added rating. The dimension doesn't change that much, little less then an inch on the diameter. I am not doing this for adding more weight to the trailer just increasing my comfort factor. Has anyone done this on their BH? Any insight or opinions is appreciated.

WBG

WBGavin
I am needing to replace my tires on my BH3400RE. Currently the tires are the ST235/80R16 that are late 2015 vintage. I do not know the history and usage of the tires since I recently purchased the trailer and want to start fresh with new tires. I am looking at changing to 85R16's and am curious if others have done this to gain a little margin and confidence in the added rating. The dimension doesn't change that much, little less then an inch on the diameter. I am not doing this for adding more weight to the trailer just increasing my comfort factor. Has anyone done this on their BH? Any insight or opinions is appreciated.

Hi,

We switched to Goodyear G614 - LT 235/85R16 tires from BlowMax ST235/80R16 over a year ago and could not be happier. We had several very scary blowouts with the TowMax tires (and no, we were not overweight) and are so glad to have that behind us. The extra height has not caused any issues. The trailer tows just great. You just need to make sure your rims will take 110 Lb. inflation pressure tires, and you have a way to inflate them should he need arise. We have a BH 3570RS and love it to death. Good luck with you decision , and see you down the road

SNOKING

Sailun now has an all steel ply load rage G tire in the common ST235/80R16E size, which is the same diameter as your current maypops(china bombs).

These tires cost about one half of the Goodyear G614's noted above an have a very good rep.

Chris

DGS

Hi,

We switched to Goodyear G614 - LT 235/85R16 tires from BlowMax ST235/80R16 over a year ago and could not be happier. We had several very scary blowouts with the TowMax tires (and no, we were not overweight) and are so glad to have that behind us. The extra height has not caused any issues. The trailer tows just great. You just need to make sure your rims will take 110 Lb. inflation pressure tires, and you have a way to inflate them should he need arise. We have a BH 3570RS and love it to death. Good luck with you decision , and see you down the road

Thank you for the info WBG. Question on the spacing before and after between the wheels. What spacing on the tires did you end up with after switching to the 85's?

WBG

WBGavin
Thank you for the info WBG. Question on the spacing before and after between the wheels. What spacing on the tires did you end up with after switching to the 85's?

I do not have any idea what the spacing was with the old tires. Will try to get over to where the rig is stored today and measure the new spacing.

SNOKING

The G614 is shorter than a standard LT235/85R16E(and Sailun S367 in that size). The Standard LT needs at least 33" center to center of the axles. Sailun has a ST235/80R16G all steel offering that is similar in size to Maypop ST235/80R16E offerings and the G614. Chris

DGS

As much as I want to get the added benefit and confidence from the Sailun tire I will not be able to use the S637. Both of the S637 tires (235/80 & 235/85) requires a 6.5" rim. I have 6" on my trailer. Looks like back to researching a good alternative. Thank you for your comments.

WBG

WBGavin

The spacing between the new tires is 5".

Hope that helps

WBG

DGS

The spacing between the new tires is 5".

Hope that helps

WBG

Thank you WBG, I went ahead and mounted the S637 tires on my 6" wheels after getting confirmation from Sailun that it would be OK. Spacing after installing them is approximately 2 1/2". Sure like the way they look and are a much better tire then what I had on the trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I want to get the added benefit and confidence from the Sailun tire I will not be able to use the S637. Both of the S637 tires (235/80 & 235/85) requires a 6.5" rim. I have 6" on my trailer. Looks like back to researching a good alternative. Thank you for your comments.

After sending an email to Sailun and getting a response back from them. I went ahead and mounted the S637 tires. My tire shop guy said that a 6" wheel rated for the pressure would be no issue with these tires. Alan Eagleson Director, Commercial tires at Sailun stated: (The recommended rim width is 6.5". The allowable rim width is 6", 6.5" or 7").

Good to go, what a nice tire that will meet withwhat I set out to accomplish. Provide me and my wife more confidence traveling down the road.

Attachments

• 486.jpg
    486.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 20