Tire Rotation

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Two Questions...

What is the proper sequence for putting the spare into the mix, front to back & or left to right or X or what?

How often.... every x amount of miles or time?

I have the Duros on a 2011, so far we have about 1500 miles on them and they look fine.

Recommendations?

Thanks

jnbhobe

I would just use the four tires that are mounted on the aluminum wheels and move them front to back then cris-cross them the next time. Do it every year when you pack the bearings.

I recall that with the early radials the recommendation was to keep the rotation in the same direction. That was later changed and the recommendation was to cross over. These new diagonal tires are a different animal. is there any change in the recommended rotation patern with them? I put 3000 miles on the TT this summer and they consistently ran as cool as the tires on the truck and the wear is fine.

lwmcguir

I don't see any need to rotate trailer tires. If they are wearing uneven then get it aligned and at that point maybe a rotation. Otherwise do you really need the exercise? Nothing to gain. Have never rotated a set of trailer tires on the little trailers to the semi trailers ever. Have aligned them as needed however.

TeJay

There are several schools of thought regarding rotation. Some things that were not done years ago are done today because improvements nave been made to the construction of tires. Changing rotation is acceptable on radials. Here's what happens. If you choose to rotate tires and change from side to side you will change rotation and position. If the tire was in a position to long and developed a set or wear pattern for that position if it is changed it may start to make a road noise that you will find unacceptable. You won't hear it if the tires are on your TT so no problem. Why rotate tires? As has been mentioned it is not really necessary. The rotation idea is to more evenly wear all tires throughout their life. However, if you have a wear problem address that issue don't move a good tire into that spot to be worn out. Generally speaking on vehicles there are only three things that cause tire wear: teenagers, worn steering parts and/or alignment changes from hitting something. I'm assuming tire pressure is monitored and corrected as needed and that you can control your teenagers. Trailers should have the weight distributed somewhat evenly on each tire so rotation is probably not needed or necessary. That being said, if you want to rotate tires OK it won't hurt anything but keep this in mind. If you take the tires off then you've loosened 20 or so lug nuts that have to be tightened, torqued and checked daily for the first 500-1000 miles of travel.
Happy camping !!!
TeJay