Tire Speed Ratings..

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I have only been on this forum for a few months. In that time I have read many posts stating that the 235/85R16 G Sailun Tires speed rating was 65 mph. I decided to look at the tires on my new Cyclone and found the speed rating is L or 75 mph. I would assume all of the same tires have the same speed rating. Am I wrong? Where did the 65 mph come from? I will admit my knowledge of tires is limited but it seems pretty straight forward. I like to drive 70 when towing but have been concerned with what I have read. What does everyone think?

Last edited by a moderator:

TedS

I think the 65 mph came from an assumption that ST tires are rated to 65, only. My Sailuns are like yours, 75 mph rated.

avvidclif

A lot of folks make assumptions. The Sailuns and new Carlisles Are 75 MPH rated, I've had/have both, not assuming.

BusManRG

I have only been on this forum for a few months. In that time I have read many posts stating that the 235/85R16 G Sailun Tires speed rating was 65 mph. I decided to look at the tires on my new Cyclone and found the speed rating is L or 75 mph. I would assume all of the same tires have the same speed rating. Am I wrong? Where did the 65 mph come from? I will admit my knowledge of tires is limited but it seems pretty straight forward. I like to drive 70 when towing but have been concerned with what I have read. What does everyone think?

Well, since you asked what everyone thinks, I think it's safe to reply honestly....so, in my humble opinion, driving 70 miles an hour towing these big units is crazy. Remember it's not how fast you can go, but how fast you can stop. I know there's a lot of arguments on all of the forums about this and everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to drive as they please 😁. But you did ask😉!

Sandy

pegmikef

The faster you go, the hotter the tires grow . . . I personally drive 65 or less as I think it is safe, easy on the tires, and reduces stopping distance (and I do have Titan Disc Brakes).

LBR

I've noticed our 110 psi Saliuns will usually raise close to 20° on the shaded side and an extra 4-5° on the sunny side... while towing 60mph on an 80° day.

TedS

I see the higher speed rating as a increase in safety margin. Even though my tires are rated 75 I drive 65 and now have a 10mph margin instead of zero margin for speed and heat tolerance.

NHCelt

[FONT=&quot]thank you for your inquiry on Sailun tires. The speed rating is dependent on the size of S637 you have. I have listed the sizes with speed ratings in the chart below.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The speed ratings are designated by “L” or “M”.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]L = 75mph, 120km/h[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]M = 81mph, 130km/h[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
raw
[/FONT]

alexb2000

I often drive in 4 lo and in 1st gear to make it easy on my drivetrain (Always with my flashers on).
I have also affixed a giant yellow "slow moving vehicle" sign to the back of my toy hauler along with rubber safety bumpers.
We have installed a roll cage in the truck and always wear full face helmets and fire suits while driving.
I am still very concerned about tires, I wish they made a Z rated trailer tire so I could have a 140 MPH of buffer for the big downhills.
In addition to disks all around, I have added 8 piston calipers, drilled and slotted carbon fiber rotors, DOT 5 fluid, ceramic pads, but I still get nervous on those Kansas hills.

Drive safe everyone!:D

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I often drive in 4 lo and in 1st gear to make it easy on my drivetrain (Always with my flashers on).
I have also affixed a giant yellow "slow moving vehicle" sign to the back of my toy hauler along with rubber safety bumpers.
We have installed a roll cage in the truck and always wear full face helmets and fire suits while driving.
I am still very concerned about tires, I wish they made a Z rated trailer tire so I could have a 140 MPH of buffer for the big downhills.
In addition to disks all around, I have added 8 piston calipers, drilled and slotted carbon fiber rotors, DOT 5 fluid, ceramic pads, but I still get nervous on those Kansas hills.

Drive safe everyone!:D
LOL.......love it!!!!!

Nuclearcowboy

I personally try to keep my speed at no more than 65 mph with my Sailun tires - I know what they are rated, but for me, it's just not worth the potential for something to happen in order to arrive a few minutes earlier. But that is me, everyone has to decide what speed they are comfortable with. As a footnote, one also needs to consider the weather when determining speed - I certainly may be inclined to drive faster across mid America in the fall than on I-10 in Arizona in August 😊

ksucats

Alexb2000: I was wondering who that was on I-70 that I was stuck behind by Garden City. Wife was complaining though - thought I was going too fast because I was so close behind you. As I recall, two full semis were between us two :cool:.

Safe travels to all.

dave10a

I replaced my Goodyear's with Sailuns last summer as the Goodyear's were worn out from normal wear. The Sailun's seem to perform as well as the Goodyear's. I set the cruise control to 62 mph and enjoy the scenery. both tires rise to about 50 degress above ambient which is normal. I think the Sailuns seem to be more rugged and are not wearing as fast as the Goodyear's. So far so good....... after 5000 miles.

alexb2000

Alexb2000: I was wondering who that was on I-70 that I was stuck behind by Garden City. Wife was complaining though - thought I was going too fast because I was so close behind you. As I recall, two full semis were between us two :cool:.

Safe travels to all.

You bet that was me, 4 Lo on cruise control.

Super friendly safety minded people in Kansas. I can't tell you how many honked on their way past me and gave me a gesture I believe means "Safety is Number 1".

I did have quite a bit of traffic behind me most of the day. I don't care I'm retired and they need to slow down anyway.

That wife of yours sounds like a keeper, mine also likes to backseat drive, but with full face helmets I can't hear her, so its kind of a "win-win".

I'll start a new thread, but who else thinks 5 MPH inside an RV park is crazy fast?

Be careful out there, this RV thing is probably just behind wing suit flying on the risk scale:D

olcoon

I'm kind of thinking the 65 MPH may have come from rigs with E trailer tires. The bigger rigs will have G & H rated tires & some with LT tires which would be rated for higher speeds.

tireman9

Tire load capacity is based on industry standards which include formula to determine the maximum load at a specific inflation.
For ST tires the formula is based on a maximum speed of 65 mph (no matter what the tire says on its sidewall)

DOT has a series of tests tires must be capable of passing. It does NOT have a max speed test. The speed rating is a 30 min step speed test developed by SAE. A tire only needs to be able to run 30 min at the stated speed to pass that test. (The tire is then considered scrap after the 30 min test).

Many time a tire company may use a higher speed rating for marketing purposes in an effort to have customers think a tire with a higher rating is better than another tire.

75 mph "L" is the max speed associated with ST tires and according to Tire & Rim Association Engineering guide an ST tire needs to have its inflation increased and load decreased to be able to run continuously at 75 mph.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
Tire load capacity is based on industry standards which include formula to determine the maximum load at a specific inflation.
For ST tires the formula is based on a maximum speed of 65 mph (no matter what the tire says on its sidewall)

DOT has a series of tests tires must be capable of passing. It does NOT have a max speed test. The speed rating is a 30 min step speed test developed by SAE. A tire only needs to be able to run 30 min at the stated speed to pass that test. (The tire is then considered scrap after the 30 min test).

Many time a tire company may use a higher speed rating for marketing purposes in an effort to have customers think a tire with a higher rating is better than another tire.

75 mph "L" is the max speed associated with ST tires and according to Tire & Rim Association Engineering guide an ST tire needs to have its inflation increased and load decreased to be able to run continuously at 75 mph.

Wow...Let me get this straight. These world wide tire manufacturing companies such as Goodyear are stamping a speed rating on the tires they sell as a marketing ploy to sell more tires when they know they are not rated for that speed? I do not believe they would do that anymore than they would stamp a weight rating that was incorrect. Please post some references for the information you are quoting. I would like to do some research of my own.