Tire upgrade option opinion poll – What would you pay?

Tire Upgrade Option Poll--What would you pay

• I would pay a $500 upgrade (5 tires) charge.

Votes: 66 55.0%
  • I would pay no more than a $400 upgrade (5 tires) charge.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • I would pay no more than a $300 upgrade (5 tires) charge.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • I would pay no more than a $200 upgrade (5 tires) charge.

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • I would pay no more than a $100 upgrade (5 tires) charge

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I would be satisfied with whatever tires come with the coach.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I would prefer to buy my own tires after I leave the dealer.

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters

sidney dreyfus

cmart

bsnider said:
When I purchased my BigHorn, I was trusting the manufacturer with a lot of money, to deliver a quality product. Now that I have had 3 tires out of 5 with bubbles, my trust has been shaken. On the day I purchased the Bighorn, I probably would not have considered the upgrade. Today the story is, of course, a lot different.

I don't think an upgrade is the right thing to do. Heartland should deliver all units with quality tires and keep our trust in their judgment.

bsnider, I agree with you 100%, I did vote $500 however because I don't need the wasted time, damage to the coach, or the safety involved. And yes, when you spend big bucks you expect good results on your purchases.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I want to thank you all for your participation. Looks like the majority would pay for an upgrade option. Lots of other good points made also. Now let's hope Heartland takes a look and will reconsider this for their customers.

Mark

Redcoat1

I have never run on bad tires

It should be a recall situation but that doesn't seem possible. I would pay the 500.

Tire survey

I don't understand how people think that Heartland as a trailer manufacturer would put on a Michelin tire, that Michelin states is not rated for trailer use, that would leave Heartland totally out in the open for liability issues for tire related problems. I could can just imagine what their liabialty insurance carrier would say about them using a tire that is not rated for trailer use. I can see them having a "G" rated upgrade with Goodyear G614 tires, but any other ST rated tire that I have seen is not any better than the mission tires I have on my 2008, 3055RL. Another issue is if you put on "G" rated rims and tires is there a liability issue since you would still have 6000lb rated axles, and could possibly overload the axles.
Two Weeks ago I went to a RV show and most 5th wheels had mission or a selection of Chinese made tires on them. I did see one trailer with BF Goodrich LT tires. I looked at a Hitchhiker Discovery with the same Mission tires that I have, and buy the way the show discounted price was $78,000. So far I've put 7500 Miles on my tires with no problems, but I will end up putting on a set of Michelins or maybe some Firestone HT'S, but I will also accept the responsibility of putting on a tire that is not a trailer rated tire.

bpmills

being new to the this and my bighorn 3400rl is being built, is the tire problem a 15 in size or a 16 in size.

Great thread...

I would pay more than $500.00 for a US Made G Rated tire upgrade. We are very excited about the 4012 we orderd and the tires will be the first and probably only thing I replace/upgrade. It would just be easier if I could order the RV with these instead of going out and buying them after the fact.

Rock On..

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Well I am sure that every one will have a different opinion on this matter. I for one am very happy with the Goodyear 614's. I put around twenty thousand miles on the first set and still had more than half the tread left, no tire problems. The second set had grooves worn in them from frame problems, but still no blow outs. I replaced the two grooved ones with two of the used ones that i had kept as spares. From what my dealer told me, there will be a problem getting tires due to the production, but they are worth the wait. Also they are G rated.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Happy Campers said:
M Hamilton,according Michelin's website they do offer a trailer tire.
Michelin trailer tires
These are actually LT tires. I do know there are people using them though. I searched there site and when you click "Recreational Vehicle" I believe they are refering to a Motorhome not a towable RV. The XPS Rib has been working for those that are using them though.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Tires

Deepsky3539 said:
I havent been able to find any 15" rims that will take 80psi as needed for "E" rated tires but I also haven't found any reputeable brand "E" rated tires in a 15" size either. Since I am running three axles, I would vote for a $700.00 option since I would have to upgrade to 16" rims.

You should check your axle rating. With three axles you probably should have an E rated tire. The E rated tire is 80 psi. The G rated is 110 pounds and comes with the 8000 lb axle. I ran Michelin E rated tires for years on my 3 axle Alfa Gold without any problems. Now my Landmark used the G rated and I run the Goodyear G614. Both units were 16" wheels. Hope this helps.
Jim Gratz
99 Ford F350, 2007 Landmark Golden Gate

Amen Brother

bsnider said:
When I purchased my BigHorn, I was trusting the manufacter with a lot of money, to deliver a quality product. Now that I have had 3 tires out of 5 with bubbles, my trust has been shaken. On the day I purchased the Bighorn, I probably would not have considered the upgrade. Today the story is, of course, a lot different.

I don't think an upgrade is the right thing to do. Heartland should deliver all units with quality tires and keep our trust in their judgement.

I also agree they should put decent tires on the units and THEN if you want to upgrade but you should not feel for your own safety you need to crawl with your unit to the nearest tire store to replace the tires. For the money you spend this should not happen.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I guess I'm as much concerned with Chinese tires like everyone else. I believe hanging this all on the RV manufacturers is not right either. If the U.S tire manufactures would make the tires and in sufficient quantities , prices would be cheaper and they would or could buy them. Lets face it nobody wants to make a ST tire, GoodYear is the only one(Marathons) and now there being made in China. I don't believe they could make enough G14's or Rib's to supply all the trailers made in a year. I also wonder how many of these ST tire blowouts have been reported to the Safety Powers that be? I guess its going to be the same for years to come or until the Chinese figure out how to make a good tire.:( ...Ken

BluegrassMan

My next upgrade on my GC will be "Alcoa rims and Goodyear load range H tires". I'll feel safer with this upgrade. Hey it's only money !!!!