Tire Wear- Rear Right OutsideTire wear

Rayz

Hi with the vast amount of experiance on this board, I was hoping that somebone may be able to give some good pointers on what I should be cautious of once the alignment-frame shop does there initial inspection.

I am sure they are totally honest, but shops can overlook things occassionally. The unit is a 2955 2012 Big Horn with 7000# axles I believe, it has been towed for about 1500 miles and I noticed severe wear on the outside of the rear axle tire. From what I can remeber I never hit a curb or deep pothole.

The alignment and frame shop is set up with laser's and frequently works on large commercial tractors and trailers. Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
They should be able to give you a spec sheet showing the allignment numbers of before and after.
The cold bend is the prefered method of allignment and you should see some little dimples where they bent the axle.

Peace
Dave

brianharrison

The cold bend is the prefered method of allignment and you should see some little dimples where they bent the axle.

Peace
Dave

Hi Dave, can you please elaborate? What are the dimples you describe? Have any pictures? I am curious of your experiences....

After my previous alignments, I am not able to see any dimples, or any indication of tube indentations/deformation where they bent the axles - I do see paint scuff where they slid the cold bend ram brackets/hardware along the axle though.

I would think any mechanical damage of the axle tubes would be bad. No?

Brian

lwmcguir

The only way to align a tube type axle is to bend it. Sometimes you can see the dimples or spots where the jacks/clamps were attached. What you should be able to see is the wheel should now be true both with the coach and vertically.

lwmcguir

You might want to check your wheel bearings as well. A good alignment shop will make sure they aren't sloppy but won't typically pull them off. There have been a few hub issues the past months due to lack of grease when assembled.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dave, can you please elaborate? What are the dimples you describe? Have any pictures? I am curious of your experiences

Brian
Maybe I should have said maybe you will see a dimple.
What I saw after the alignment might not really a dimple but it is definitely more than a scratch where the alignment tools were attached.
I guess it might depend on how severe the bend had to be.

Peace
Dave